don't click here

Does Sonic Work in 3-D?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Kama, Feb 29, 2004.

Do the 3-D games live up to the name "Sonic"?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    There are many who believe that Sonic belongs in the world of 2-D other then the world of 3-D. I can understand this. The 3-D games in my opinion were never bad, but had quite a few faults most notably the following...

Glitches
    Evil Cameras
    Too many bottomless pits
    Awful Dialogue and Bad Voice Actors

While Sonic Heroes was an enjoyable game, it still carried these faults that plagued the first two Adventure Games. (Not to mention adding incredibly lame boss fights.) I hope the next 3-D sonic game will correct some of these faults.

What do you think? Does Sonic work well in the 3-D? Or should he just stick to the world of 2-D? Post your opinions on the matter if you wish.

2. NickW

NickW

I personally think 2-D is better for Sonic games.

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    The 3D Games are good, but Sonic Advance was definatly most fun I'd had since the early Sonic games. The 3D Sonic games just aren't as playable, only in my opinion though.

4. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    None of the games nowadays live up to their standards. The only games that were actually well playable were the Sonic's 1-3K. They employed all the coolness that is what Sonic is today. The 3D games only make the games and levels easier to play, and make it much easier to defeat the bosses. And the newer Sonic 2D games include about half of the Sonic genesis game's stuff. Frankly, the old games are much better.

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    2D is the way Sonic was invented in, and it will always give the best results.

Now the 3-d games aren't bad (not that I've played them). The thing that makes Sonic bad is that it's no longer about the games, it's about the characters. All n00bs go "shadow I lov u!!1!" and Sonic Team makes money out of it.

6. Kama

Kama

That is very true. I want to see something like Sonic 3 and Knuckles on the Gameboy Advance. Characters should be able diffrent routes then others. (Like Knuckles did in Sonic 3 and Knuckles)

7. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    The problem with the seperate routes stuff was that the way it was set up was such that you could access the other route with a character who wasn't intended to access it.

A better way would be to load different level layouts for each character.

8. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Son?cmon! Gotta catch them all!

9. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Maybe they should make a 3-D version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Although I think they're gonna need a LOT of disc sapce [if they put it on Computer, Playstation 2, Xbox, or Nintendo Gamecube]. Also the speed of it all will need to be considered.... and the graphics from the Hyper-powered characters. Then again maybe not 'cause it's gonna cost a lot of money.

10. Samui

Samui

Ice Kitsune Oldbie
    Although I do like the Sonic games being in 3-d, I prefer them being in 2-d. This is because it is classic, and really nice IMO. I really think side-scrolling 2-dimensional games are awesome, with 3 dimensional special stages. If they want to make a 3-d game, they should make it with an overhead view of your character so you know where the heck you are going.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Disc space isn't really a factor. (Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast was 1.2 GB, which means two CDs - and single-layer single-sided DVDs are 4.38 GB.) The big factor is Sonic Team's laziness.

12. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    While that's a cryptic message, I see what you say and agree. Pok?mon was ruined by Nintendo's frivolous overmarketing of the product (the incorrect choice of age to market it at and the emphasis of the RPG part of the game lasting roughly 20 hours as opposed to the strategy element which is infinite) and will never recover.

13. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Yeah sorry, I kind of broke the Trial Member rules with that post :$
    Basically I was referring to the way LOst pointed out that Sonic is becoming more centered around the characters, which is what Pokemon is all about. I'm also worried about the amount of Characters Sega keep adding to Sonic, and I hope to dear god it doesn't end up as bloated as Pokemon.

As for what you said about marketing, I fully agree. :(

14. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    agreed, get rid of Big and Cream plz.

EDIT: and Chao

15. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Ya, Big, Cream, and Cheese don't have much of a role in the games and the TV shows [nothing big to be precise].

16. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    I wasn't just talking about Cheese, I was talking about Chao in general, I hate them.

17. Kampfer

Kampfer

I think Sonic Adventure lived up to the Sonic name. They did a good job on everybodies levels exept Big (DIE BIG DIE). Sonic Adventure 2 has levels that are way too repetitive. As for Sonic Heroes, I still need to rent and try it out. As for the glitches and stuff, I almost never have problems with the cameras or falling through floors.

18. Kama

Kama

I agree with the characters. I perfered it when the cast was just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy. Cream, Big and the rest of the new "adventure" cast don`t really serve any purpose in my opinion.

19. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    I think the games pretty much crapped out on themselves after the year 1995, which was the year of the Shitty Sonic.

The 3D Games are decent, but they don't have that certain feel. Neither do the recent 2D games (Advanced, Battle, Pinball Party).

Blah.

20. Korou Tenshi

Korou Tenshi

UK
    I hate the way they changed sonic. When he had shorter spikes, he was cool, but now with his mile long spikes, he's just a sonic wannabe. Super sonic actually looked cool in 2d, but in the sonic adventures, he's a simple recolor of sonic. Also, now you can only play as super sonic when you face the (secret) final boss, and the games follow the same pattern: finishing with sonic brings you to the final boss, whilst if you finish with everyone collecting all the emeralds, you fight the 'secret' boss as <_< super sonic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.