don't click here

Development Hardware Database

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by SegaLoco, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Well, as I was searching for some development software I came across an interesting picture:

[​IMG]

This got me thinking, "I have no idea what this is." My knowledge of Sega development hardware is relatively large but I've never seen this beauty before. Now I've already gotten a bit of info from Yakumo over at ASSEMblerGames but I feel a need to turn to Sega Retro with a proposition of mine: Seeing as the wiki and forum are dedicated to all things Sega, isn't it unfare to not have as much documentation of the development hardware as possible as well? I know several good resources for information and documentation and I know that there are some of you out there that know just as much if not more than I. I'd like to extend this proposition to all Sega Retro and Sonic Retro members. I'll get started on things shortly, first documenting the more common pieces of hardware and their included softwares, then I'll get looking into more obscure systems like this baby here. If anyone thinks of anything please do add it to the wiki as well. Also post here on anything you'd like to ask about or clear up, I think this would be a great thing to document as the only other source I know for in-depth knowledge about Sega development hardware is ASSEMblerGames which doesn't exactly present it in the most easy-to-digest format. Many thanks!

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Just to note - the better idea would be to make separate pages for each piece of development equipment rather than add it to specific console pages. That way it's more manageable in the long-run.

There are one or two pages on Sega Retro already - Sprobe is one, Dreamcast Dev.Box and the various bits of associated hardware are others. Sega Retro lacks detailed information primarily because it's been... me making the pages, and I don't have leet technical knowledge or much understanding about the subject. It all needs work and it's great to see someone put themselves forward :)

3. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Well what I was thinking was have a small blurb of the piece on the console page like I added to the Mega Drive and Mega CD pages, then link to the development hardware page (to be authored) that has more details about specific aspects of each piece of hardware as well as detailed photos and (with permission) downloads of the drivers and environments for use with each.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The problem with adding brief descriptions of everything related to the Mega Drive on one "Mega Drive" page, is you start getting an inflated article and more things to maintain. Wikipedia tries to put a brief overview on everything Mega Drive related onto one page, but that's because they don't want to be devoting 483204328 pages to each aspect of the system. We can afford to do that on Sega Retro

not that it's a huge deal at this stage, but I find it's easier if the pages are made first