don't click here

Custom Music Request

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by FuzzballFox, Dec 2, 2011.

1. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    Strange request I know, but I have some nice synths to test out and I would love to try out the main line to the real thing...though just playing on top doesn't really help.
    Now I know there are you technical peoples out there, would anyone be able to help me out in anyway? C:

2. Zingela

Zingela

IL
    What format are you looking for?

3. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    Just an MP3 would be fine- one that loops at least twice~

4. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    Search up "Green Hill Zone Bass & Percussion" on Youtube. It should be the first video you see, and it has everything but the drums and baseline removed.

Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: you might need a Youtube converter to get the song, but I think the guy has a link to the MP3 on his profile.

5. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    Ooh those are useful indeed...though all I wanted was the main melody removed not the other melodies and extras... Thank you for sharing that though

Anyone still up for helping with the original request? :3

6. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    If you still want the other melodies intact, then I'd say getting a Midi file and removing the melody line from it is your best bet. (I'm unsure on how to do this, but I think FL Studio or another Midi friendly program should help.)

Another way is to Download Winamp, and get the in_vgm plugin so you can play the .vgm format. one you do that, you can change in_vgm's settings so you can mute the melody line you want to get rid of.

7. Hey, I'm the guy who has those uploads on YouTube. I can give you exactly what you requested for. And Afro Thunder is right, you can use in_vgm and Winamp to mute a song that's available on Project2612.

Just gimme a few moments.

8. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    FL Studio is what I use- but I don't want midis, I want the real thing ;_;
    Installing Winamp is not an option for me at the moment too...

9. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    You're on here now, dissident? kinda strange for me to be seeing a lot of my favorite youtube members on here lately...

To get back on topic, Fuzzball, I know you don't want Midis, but I think you might be able to give it MD-like sounds if you have the Ultimate Genesis Soundfont.

(I'm not trying to advertise in any way, btw. Just trying to be helpful)

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    VOPM > Soundfont

Besides, Dissident said he's got it covered.

11. Haha yea, I'm on here. I attempted to register back in May, but I suppose I needed more reason than simply having contacted Tokuhiko Uwabo.

Also, you can use Audio Overload. It allows you to mute, and it's a stand-alone executable. I'm also giving you all the main themes without melody, just because. :P

EDIT: Enjoy

12. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    You can use XMPlay instead, as I do. It works with Winamp input plugins, and its portable as it needs no installation. You just unzip it and run it.
    The following should solve all your problems:
    XMPlay
    in_vgm plugin Get version 0.35, and put the file from the zip into the XMPlay folder, or even a sub folder.
    Sonic VGM files This is the soundtrack to Sonic 1 in vgm format (they say vgz, but its just the compressed version of vgm). You should also check out the rest of that database.

Anyway, once you've unzipped XMPlay, added the in_vgm.dll to the XMPlay folder, and unzipped the Sonic soundtrack to anyplace of your liking, open XMPlay and right click it somewhere, to open Options. Go to the Integration section. Be sure to hilight vgm and vgz, and click apply. Now explorer should have associated those vgz files to open with XMPlay.
    Open Green Hill Zone from the soundtrack. If you can hear it, all is well. Open Options again, and go to Plugins > Input. Click the vgm input plugin in the list, and click config to open the plugin's settings window. From there, go to the YM2612 tab and start tweaking the channels. The check boxes determine whether a channel is active or muted. Here's a reference pic so you know you're doing it right:
    [​IMG]

The lead is probably the first channel, along with another channel dedicated to the echo. Keep in mind that because a channel will sometimes swap instruments it is not always the same throughout the song, and you may end up muting more than necessary. Your own intuition as a sound editor will have to take over from there.
    If you can hear the lead muted out, you're all good, so click OK to confirm out of the plugin settings window. Now in XMPlay's options, click output. From here, common sense should take over. Make sure the song is stopped, then change the output device to WAV Writer. Set the output directory, then click Apply. When you hit play again, you will be given a file save dialog, then the song will play silent but fast, as its writing the sound data to disk. You can now use your lead-free Green Hill Zone for experimentation.

That's just the beginning though. Have you ever heard of emulated formats? They'll change your life. They consume FAR less space than MP3 soundtracks (since they're similar to tracker formats) and they are always in perfect lossless quality, and if its synthesized then you can increase the sample rate as high as possible. Emulated formats exist for just about any console that uses chip or tracker style formats to play music (Genesis, SNES, NES, Gameboy, N64, etc) For some plugins, you can render each track solo and create a full remix. I suggest you render out the percussion and use Wavosaur's BPM detector to help you with your remix.

13. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    Thank you both of you! Great help- I've gone for Dissident's MP3s running and they are perfect! :D
    I'll have to look into both options~

(Wonder how the other Sonic games sound too O:

14. Glad I could help. :D

15. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    Actually I did give Audio Overload a try...and well...it kinda didn't work... >:
    As in, no options- and the tickboxes didn't really do anything...

As for XMPlay, I haven't the time (almost 5am right now XD) so..I dunno I guess it'll be a while before I muck about with that...

Now I'm really curious about the other Sonic games now owo

16. You sure? It should have options to mute nearly all emulated game music on the right side. Did you use VGMs from Project2612.org?

17. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    Oh I have now- they work well~
    Shame some of the channels still can't seem to be muted but I don't mind- C:

18. You must be talking about the 4 extra PSG/SN76489. Those can be muted with XMPlay or Winamp, with the in_vgm plugin.

19. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    I see.. well it's not the end of the world- this kinda stuff is useful for sequencing!
    Tried some PSF files on it...man those are weird...no structure in the way of layers AT ALL

20. Yea, you can't really channel mute PSFs. I don't know the technical details behind them, but it's not like a NES, SNES, or Genesis song, where the channel has ONE instrument in it. PSFs (and I think USFs as well). It's weird.