don't click here

Confirmed cart-based prototypes

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Elusive, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    We all know the only known dump of the Sonic 2 proto is a poorly-hacked bootleg. But, how many prototype Sonic games do we know of that are in existance and in cart/cd/whatever form? For example, we have the dumped Sonic 2 beta; does anyone own a copy of this on a cart?

So far the list is as follows: (format is game;system;notes)

Sonic 1 - Game Gear - dumped OK, unknown owner

Sonic 2 - Mega Drive - dumped poorly, no known owner
    Sonic 3 - Mega Drive - undumped, owned by LocalH on EPROM
    Sonic 3D - Mega Drive - undumped, owned by Italian eBay bidder
    Sonic Crackers - Mega Drive - two known dumps, one overdump and one regular. No known owner, but is on sale for $600. Ask Rika Chou for details if your wallet is deep enough :)

Sonic CD (7-12) - Mega CD - owned by PACHUKA; rest of Sonic CD prototypes dumped by 'Profound Darkness' in ISO+mp3 format

Does anyone have anything to add to this? Post a reply and I'll update where relevant.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Anonymous? All the prototypes were originally released by Profund Darkness, back in the day, in ISO+MP3 format.

By the way, you forgot about the SegaSonic, Sonic Spinball and Sonic (and?) Crackers prototypes.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    sonic 3? when was this

4. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Here.

5. Elusive

Elusive

Updated.

I know about the Spinball etc. games; I wanted to know who (if anyone) they were owned by before entering their info. I'm only working from my own knowledge at the moment, as such I'll welcome background info on all the protos. Who dumped the SegaSonic games? When? etc.

Rika, you own a Crackers EEPROM, right?

6. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    My cart isn't EEPROMs, but just standard EPROMs. EPROMs use UV into the window on top of the chip, in order to erase, while EEPROMs do it electrically (hence the extra E).

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Isn't there meant to be a Sonic 1 PR cart at "Hobby Press" or something? I think that was the name of the place, I can't remember.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That would be Sonic 2, but they moved and who knows what happened to all the stuff they had in the warehouse.

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    No. Because I don't want to waste my money on it. I could still buy it, but it costs way to much. It's probobly identical to the already dumped ROM anyways.

If anyone it actually interested in buying it, PM me and I will get you in contact with the seller. ($650.00 USD)

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Curious, why haven't you dumped the cart yet?

11. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Because I don't have a dumper (I bought a Sega CD 2 a while back, with the hopes of using MoD's transfer method, but it never booted), and I don't want to send it through the mail to someone who does have a dumper (I don't trust the mail for stuff like this, once I've got possession of it). I keep it in a solid black case and away from any sunlight or other UV, so I figure it's pretty safe from any more than the most minimal bit rot (and I test it occasionally to make sure it still works, haven't had a problem yet).

12. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    What about Hivebrain's Sonic 1 beta source code that he got from TecToy? What did the source code turn out to be?

I'm not sure what else happened on April 1st, all I remember was that the topic was deleted or moved to somewhere else.

(A little off topic: What did happen to that topic?)

13. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    It's in the hoaxes forum.

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    It was an April 1st fool, and you got a little fooled I guess

15. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I don't think Trial members can view the hoax board, so I wouldn't know.

Oh well.

16. Elusive

Elusive

'kay. Crackers info added - any progress with the Italian Sonic 3D owner, Rika? If I recall she had a dumper but was unwilling to dump...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.