Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    NONSENSE! BLOOM MAKES THINGS NEXT GEN!!1

Also, I don't have any sprites of the bumper on my hard drive and there aren't any on the database. You'll probably just have to rip your own and get it to scale.

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I said it might need to be toned down. Things can look out of place if the reflectiveness is not right. The shine is almost pure white and is not blending in with the red. You only get that extreme effect if you have something like a touch or lamp shining just above it. You can still give the effect of it being spherical with graceful colour shadings.

If you have a look at these, you can see the reflectiveness from a white wall. It really should be more that kind of shading for something that is in the dark. Maybe it could go a bit more extreme when it's hit and the neon lights come on.

[​IMG]

3. Flare

Flare

That style of lighting is used on several things already made, for example the check point thing.

And is also how it is on the sprite, the shades go, dark red, red, dark orange, white, nothing in between.

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I know. But different environments will make things look not quite right. You might be able to get away with the star posts due to their size. This is a bit bigger. There's no harm to try it out at some point.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Ripped them for you.
    [​IMG]

edit: wrong scale maybe
    [​IMG]

6. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I was thinking of the red being plastic-transparent. You know, like in the flipper picture a page ago.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You forgot one:
    [​IMG]
    So the "big" frame actually makes use of the other cycling palette, can't say I ever noticed that.

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Ah, very good. I was going to rip them myself, but I was in the process of heading off to shower. :P

9. nineko

nineko

italy
    Thanks ICEknight. The shades of red are so close that I didn't notice they were two separate frames.

10. Flare

Flare

[​IMG]

Edit: Before they are hit
    [​IMG]

11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Aww, from the static frame I thought those five dots around the star were supposed to be little LEDs that would light up when it's hit. I see now that this isn't the case. = P

Superb job, anyway. Though you could maybe add a subtle red glow around the outside of the 'big' frame, to increase the effect that the whole bumper is lighting up? Or would that sort of thing be handled as a special effect?

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Great work with the glowing frame... but now I feel those dots are really too noticeable since they're always dark.

I do like the other details because they were subtle and (key words here) non intrussive, but I don't think making the dots so noticeable really "improve" the design. Perhaps making them blend with the blue parts a little better?

13. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Well, Fuck. I was waiting to do CNZ objects because we are not even CLOSE to that zone...

Now Im pissed off. 2 Years and half waiting for a fucking glowing zone and then, people start doing things when we didnt finished CPZ...

The bumper is not that bad, but I suppose that I'd not give you a constructive critic while Im in "Rage mode"...so, I'll just wait to be calm enough...

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Why are you mad that people decided to do CNZ objects because they felt like it? I can't possibly fathom how that could make you angry.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You can still make one, if you think it could be improved.

16. nineko

nineko

italy
    I'm with Elratauru here, he didn't deserve this, I know how it feels when you're politely waiting for something and someone pops in without notice :(
    I didn't know this was the case, otherwise I wouldn't have ripped the bumper sprites. I'm sorry I contributed to this, I was in good faith.

17. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    Wat?
    You wouldn't help forward this project because of something stupid as that? Seriously.
    Nothing was stopping Elratauru from doing mock-ups, right? Stop with the pointless drama and whining.

18. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Mock-ups aren't the issue, it's that CNZ was going to be his sparkly, seizure-inducing baby and how dare someone else even think about proposing art for that level!?

However, he also has a point in that it's stupid to put forward artwork for the fourth level when the second one's not even been started. I would, however, like to extend that point to question why there's CPZ art being made (and, last I checked, callouts for ARZ mockups) when the first level is still incomplete?

19. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    I hope you are not serious. That better be sarcasm.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Guys... Nothing's stopping him to make his own version. We could then just choose the one we like the most.