don't click here

Computer Locking Up Randomly

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Agobue, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Agobue

Agobue

Recently we purchased some computer components for my Father's computer, as his last one had seemingly died. Whilst all this is well and good, once assembled we noticed some oddities.

The computer would randomly lock-up, usually during tasks such as installing and uninstalling, although sometimes it would just lock-up whilst idle.

Once locked-up, the computer would not respond at all, no input responses at all and a hard reset is required, usually this temporarily cures the problem until it happens again and needs another reset.

We thought it may be the power supply, however we're not too sure. Anyone any ideas?

Components:

Intel D101GGC Motherboard
    Intel Pentium 4 Processor
    1GB RAM
    80GB Western Digital SATA HDD

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
  3. donluca

donluca

Founder of the 16-bit Audiophile Project
    Rome
    The 16-bit Audiophile Project
    You might want to check your hard disk too for damaged sectors. Run a checkdisk or open a shell and run chkdsk /r so that it will find bad sectors and attempt to repair them. If your system locks up during the check, then it's probably an hard disk problem.

When there's a RAM problem you generally end up with a blue screen rather than a lock up. If you have two banks, I suggest trying to swap them and see if the random lock ups still happen.

Lastly, I would try to update the BIOS if an update is available.