don't click here

Broken Wii?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Rika Chou, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    A few weeks ago I went to turn on my Wii, but when I plugged it in the red light on the front didn't come on. (Like it wasn't plugged in at all.) I tried a new power cord and that didn't work.

Then today I thought I would try one more time, I plugged it in and it came on like normal. Then after about a minute, maybe two, it shut itself back off (again, no red light on front) and wont come back on at all. When I disconnect the power cord and plug it back in, the red light on the front will turn on for a split second. Nothing else is plugged into the wii besides the power cord, and it acts the same for both cords I've tried.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I went ahead and ordered a tri-wing screwdriver off ebay so I will be able to open it up. I would really like to fix it instead of buying a new one as it has all my saves and stuff on it.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm not an electrician, but it sounds to me that the power supply might be borked.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I've tried two different power cords with the same result.

Or am I wrong in assuming the big brick shaped part of the power cord is the power supply?

Edit: Also I am wondering....if I end up buying a replacement wii, is there any way to recover any data from my old wii (miis, game saves) from the backup I made with bootmii?

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I dunno. I thought that the Wii had an internal power supply like every other console. I could be wrong.

As for recovering any data, I think the only way would be modding your wii and performing a nand backup on it, and putting that backup on the new Wii. Again, not an expert so take what I say with a handful of salt.

5. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

You need to try various things. First, try two power cables. Then if that fails, try plugging it in to a different wall socket. If that then fails, having assumed both the power cables you've used are okay (one broken, but two? Really?) and that your power supply to that particular wall socket isn't busted, then it must be the Wii. Have you inspected the openings of the Wii for dust and grime?

I cann't suggest what to do after that. You can either open it yourself, or send it off. It's unlikely (but always a possibility) that you'll lose your save data- it's best to ring Nintendo and ask them to be blunt with you, they have techs which can give advice- if they give you a typical situation where this issue is most likely to occur and tell you what they are most likely to do, then you can decide whether you want to void the warranty and DIY.]

I sent my Wii off as it wouldn't read discs after Black ops broke it, and it came back with save data intact- that however seemed to be a simple part replacement job on Nintendo's part.

6. Vangar

Vangar

I'm not sure if sending it off would be the best idea if you have homebrew-enabled on it.

That said, have a look where the power connector is plugging into the Wii. Sounds dumb but there may be some dust or muck stuck in there preventing the cable plugging in properly. Try holding it in with a little force and see if the Wii stays on?

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Yeah, I've already checked all that...

I've now opened it up, disconnected everything like the wifi antenna, dvd drive, fan, and the Bluetooth thing. It's still having the same problem. The longer I leave it unplugged, the longer it will stay on when I try again. Though even leaving it off a week only gives me less than five minutes of it being on.

Also from what I understand, flashing my Nand backup onto a new wii could cause a lot of problems. Including most of the channels not loading, and other such stuff. (even discs may or may not load, or it could brick it completely.)

Looks like there's nothing I'm going to be able to do about this.

8. Retroman

Retroman

I chuckled at the title.

Could be the power-box fuse thingy inside the wii being damaged? or dust? My only suggestion is to send it off to be fixed at a retail store that does console repairs for wii etc.

9. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    If you haven't tried a new AC adapter, try it. You can use a GCN AC adapter with some slight modification. If you're able to switch the Wii on for short amount of time, move as much as you can over to an SD card.