don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Making stuff for the Mega CD is incredibly complicated - you're better off sticking to ROM images.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The main issue with porting a MD-only ROM to the MCD is basically that you'll have to deal with a completely different hardware layout - especially since the program will be start at the sub 68k side, not the main 68k side, which means you'll have to learn how to deal with the MegaCD first.

3. filmzombie

filmzombie

The real spindash... Member
    England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Okay, I promised myself I would not piss anyone off until absolutely neccessary. Now that time has come. Bare in mind- I do my best to read through the forums and guides on this site and I am the sort of person that understands the need for people to learn things themselves.

But given that its been a few weeks now, I'd say that warrants a question or two.

So, assume you are only JUST trying your hands at hacking. I understand miracles are out of the question here. I am not aiming for everest, merely I wish to practise.

So, very politely am I wrong in thinking any of the following;

That SonED2 is the best starting point for beginners.

That I should be attempting to edit a level of Green Hill...just to begin with.

And that the only tool I am suppossed to use encorporates of SonEd2's lone editor? There are no other tools required correct?

If this is the case I am slightly perplexed. For I have downloaded several Sonic 1 roms now. None of them seem to work (as in they all must be duds, because I can't play them to get a save state). Yet, even the Sonic hacks which I was formerly able to use to open save states with. They come up with "Null Project" now as well. Where as before at least it would recognise them.

I do not deny the capabilities and potential of this software. However, since my Winrar can't seem to read the "help" manual I need to know what I'm doing wrong.

And as an add-on, could somebody please provide me with a link to what they believe is a fully working Sonic 1 or 2 original. I need to find out if its just my computer mucking up or whether I genuinelly stumbled upon a series of duds.

(I'd send screenshots but A- It would only be of the SonEd2 title screen and B- My Print Screen button seems to be failing me)

Thanks in advance guys.

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
  5. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I'd say do Sonic 2. Since you don't have to do the combining art files bullshit.

Also, if you need a clean rom, look here. :words:

6. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Wow...cheers guys. Seriously, can't believe they were ALL duds.

But I am still making a very foolish mistake somewhere. And I'm guessing it has something to do with my attempts at making SonEd2 open a save state to edit, when its asking me to "Open Project File".

Well, obviouselly save states themselves aren't projects. However, the only other files I have are...

something called SonEd2 projects ironically, which it doesn't recognise and Split and Text by Hivebrain...which it also doesn't recognise.

To let you all know I am unshamedly the sort of person that upon discovering hacks attempted to open Megamix by clicking on the CD icon.

This I'm guessing is just as inane in some way.

Argh! But its annoying! Its like I have all the ingredients but without a cookbook!

...Or a competant Chef!!!

7. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    You need to split the rom. The dissasembly you get from here isn't the whole thing, you need to put your rom in the folder, name it s1.bin and run split.bat.

After that, get the project files off the wiki. and place the folder in the same directory, and use sonced2 to open them.

8. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Okay, I'm still having trouble running split.bat on the s1 file now but I'll keep playing around with it. Something's bound to make the damn thing crack eventually.

Thanks.

If I still fail in the next few weeks...then I'll make another plea.

9. If you already compiled your ROM and misplaced the original .asm, could you easily disassemble the ROM again?

10. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Here you go:
    SCHG How-to:Add a new zone in Sonic 1
    I personally tested it, but if you have any problems (e.g. the game hangs or crashes), please tell me so I can fix the guide as soon as possible.

EDIT: Replaced the title card configuration data (Obj34_ConData) with the actual data used.

11. flarn2006

flarn2006

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    did you make sure you added the graphics uncompressed, then recompressed it into one? I had that problem a lot...

13. flarn2006

flarn2006

Yeah, I went to artnem_u, used "copy 8x8ghz1.bin+8x8ghz2.bin 8x8ghz.bin", went back to the disassembly folder and did "derecmp nc artnem_u artnem".

14. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    You used the copy command slightly incorrectly. You must specify that the files are binary files using the /b switch:
    Code (Text):
    1. copy /b 8x8ghz1.bin+8x8ghz2.bin 8x8ghz.bin

15. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
  16. flarn2006

flarn2006

Okay, THAT worked. Thanks!

17. RamiroR

RamiroR

Well, I'm on a hack now , and one of the things I had to do was to put the HUD in Special Stage, it did work, but I just want the ring counter, is there a way to get rid of time and score counter?

Here, I'm not alone in this, here is the original post by Willj168:
    http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=779

18. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Just make a duplicate of the HUD mappings used in normal gameplay and remove the tiles you don't want displayed. You were able to make the HUD itself work in a special stage, it should be simple enough to modify the HUD code so that it loads your new mappings instead of the original ones.

(Hint: it involves the use of compare and branch instructions.)

19. RamiroR

RamiroR

yeah, but, how exactly? :thumbsup:

20. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Anyone have a link to a genesis hello world program source?

I'm trying to figure out how to work with all of these little bits of hardware that the genesis has, but I need a simple program to tinker with. I've got the source for one, and the binary for it runs fine, but the source is getting some painful errors in ASK68k, particularly from local label issues and something it doesn't like about the exception vectors.

If anyone wants to help me get that running I could post the code, but if you know of an already working one, I'm having lots of trouble finding anything.

Thanks.