Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Have no fear...Amy Rose is here! Tech Member
    SonLVL
    It's compatible with all the prototypes.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ah fair enough.

The trick also works on the final game with SonED too it seems. Thanx everyone. Now I can fix up all of my Sonic 2 hacks. :D

3. Is there a way to build Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Alone with the S3K GitHub? I'm thinking of doing a hack but I don't want the complete game.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Edit s3.asm, then use buildS3.bat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay so I've been trying to use my HTZ 2P tutorial on one of my hacks, but it's not really performing well.

The game really chugs in certain areas (even more than the level normally does in 2P), the game slows down dramatically and the players sprites flicker. Also some path swappers seem to not behave properly, some blocks/plugs won't break and loops can't be passed through, something that seems to be processed at random. I feel like this might have something to do with extra objects I've added, but the thing is NONE of these problems seem to happen in 1 player mode or any of the other 2P levels. Any idea what might be wrong here?

Also is there any way to make a level's title card read just 'ZONE' instead of the actual act number, since I wanna make new levels but only add one act for them?

EDIT: Ignore the Act/Zone request, found it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yeah, by default 2P mode has fewer object slots available than 1P mode, so you can't have as many objects per vertical slice as in 1P, plus, it potentially has to load objects from two areas at once. It may be possible to expand the 2P mode to use the full dynamic object RAM area, but I'm not sure.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    Hey guys, random question time. It's not related to hacking, but here goes.

I'm attempting some random challenges, and I don't think it's possible to defeat the final boss in Sonic 2 (or Knuckles in Sonic 2) without pressing left, can you prove me wrong?

8. It's possible to do with Knuckles, if extremely difficult:

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    Damn it, I just spent all night trying to make a "no left button" challenge of Knuckles in Sonic 2, for nothing :(

At least, that video gave me motivation to TAS the final boss, because I was ready to give up the challenge thinking it actually was impossible. I'll upload my own video soon.

edit: done'd.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 8:04 AM