don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    My guess is a branch offset is out of range on lines 6211 and 6224, but that's just a hunch. (Also, you're still using the old disassembly which uses s1comb.asm? Man, and I thought I was bad by not using SVN disassemblies.)

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm using the HiveBrain one.

Well I kinda figured that by the coding, I just don't really know what I'm supposed to do. How does it mean out of range with the lines (I checked said lines and I don't think they have anything to do with my previous edit)?

3. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    On or about lines 6211 and 6224 of s1comb.asm there are branch instructions whose attempted offsets are out of range - the location pointed to is too far away for the current instruction. You need to find those lines, find the equivalent section of s1.asm and change Bcc.s to Bcc.w or Bcc.w to Jcc.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Except that only Jmp and Jsr exist. For all the other opcodes, she'd need to set up an intermediate label.

5. T-Rae

T-Rae

Tryin' to get back into Sonic hacking... Member
    Maryland
    none ATM
    I'm having a little problem. I did ton of editing to my hack, especially added the spindash feature. Now, when I encounter the jumping fishbot, it looks like this when it's falling.
    [​IMG]

Also, is there anyway I can restore the background to normal? I tried editing the background art but all I did is make it worse.
    What I did, is just edited the background tiles/blocks.

6. What do you think I need to do to make the badniks stronger? I mean, I want them to go down in two hits, but I need to modify the badnik programs to do that. Where can I find them in the project folder, after using the Hivebrain Disassembly?

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

SHE???

Anyone know of any intermediate labels for Sonic 1's asm?

I don't get how this happened really. All I did was edit the friggin' title sprites, it didn't have this problem with Sally (though I did get that little graphic bug).

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    My bad, I always tend to believe that people with a female avatar are girls.
    Anyway what you have to do is something like this.
    If the branch that generates the error is Bxx.b or Bxx.s, just change it to Bxx.w, it should work automatically.
    If the branch that generates the error is Bsr.w or Bra.w, just change it to Jsr or Jmp respectively, it should work automatically also in this case.
    If the branch that generates the error is Bxx.w, and it's neither Bsr.w nor Bra.w, you have to do something different. Try to read this old post which explains a few ways to do it.

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Well I'd be lying if I said I didn't do that too. lol

One of them is a 'move' code. Apparently both errors are within the transition from the Ending to SEGA screen for some reason.

10. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    I forgot those existed. Can't seem to checkout though, svn tells me it couldn't connect to the server. Never mind that, I forgot about the server move.

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

You need to be connected to build the ROM? I've been working the HiveBrain one fine on an offline computer.

12. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    I've got a question
    Im making a boss for MZ using body segments similliar to the caterkiller.
    I want to make it fire the segments, now I need a good advice, should I set a flag in ObjXX_Fire routine and then in the body segment object check the flag to fire, or load the body segment object in a2 and do it all in ObjXX_Fire?

13. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    No, he's on about retrieving the SVN version of the disassembly from the SVN server, which he would need to be connected to the server for.

EDIT: Disassembly does not equal ROM

14. I'm thinking about making a boss that looks like this:

The Drache is one of the the best bosses in the game Einhander. Whether you think so or not, should this boss be in a Sonic 1 or Sonic 2 hack? There is some challenge as to how to beat it as Sonic.

It's like this, your first target is it's arm-like leg in the front of the Drache. At times it will flip over, shoot its lazer in the rear-end (there will be a safety zone, by the way), and slam its paw down. That "paw" is your target, jump on it eight times to destroy the arm. At six hits, the armored plating will come off the paw. Two more hits, and the arm is detaches off before it affects the entire machine. Then, your next target is its "head". The head is very tricky to jump on, not just because there will be a fixed method of jumping on the head, but also that the head utilizes a mini lazer. The lazer's refire rate will be one round per three seconds. With the inertia, it should take you two seconds. to make one hit. Timing is key. It will fire five rounds before it takes out its "popcorn cannon" and fires three rounds, one per split-second. The shots will fly out at random (again, there will be a safety zone, so use that to your advantage). How to jump on top of the head is rather technical. There will be monkey bars (like the ones in Flying Battery Zone, remember?) that you will have to hustle on to attack the head. After six hits, the mini-lazer on its head will come off. However, the popcorn cannon will still be used. After two more hits, the head will be destroyed, and you will see an animation of the entire machine bursting into flames. Then, you proceed to the Prison Egg and end the level.

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    If you have the technical ability to pull something like that off, then yeah!

16. I'm more of a visionary, not a techie. Now, this is voluntary, but I'm going to make a set of tiles for this vehicle. How do I make a new project in SonMapED? I mean, how do I get started?

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The More You Know!

Well I got it to build now, the title looks okay but has that 'TM' garbage on one of the sprites like it did with my Sally hack. Also I tried finishing the game and it froze up on the ending (I think I got the text 'ILLEGAL OPERATION' or something), I'll check if I mistyped anything though I'm sure the ending I edited worked fine before.

18. Ok, E, here's my inquiry:

I am thinking about making a veteran-ranked Sonic 1 hack. Where do I go to modify the badnik's properties? I want them to go down in two hits. This is what I meant by saying veteran-ranked, because it's supposed to be a challenge for those who mastered the original Sonic 1.

19. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
  20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm trying to modify Selbi's jump dash code so it will activate when I hold Down and A and shoots downwards instead of forwards. Right now in my attempts it seems to only randomly work when I press A alone mid air (it should perhaps be noted that my character is using a different non-roll jump animation).

Also I'm intending to put a move where the character will dash upward when holding Down and A standing still. Should this be coded in the Normal or MdJump coding?