don't click here

AtGames Portable

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Vangar, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Vangar

Vangar

So I recently saw the AtGames Portable system (This one: http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Gamer_Portable) at K-Mart and I decided to get one for the hell of it. It's loading roms through some kind of Loader that also looks like it was programmed on SMS (Special built 30in1 ROM?).

Has anyone else tinkered with one of these before? I was thinking of tearing it open and seeing if it's possible to hook on an edge connector and bypass the games loader, and feed the cart right into the 'on-a-chip' emulator.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    AtGames like to use a front-end called "Firecore", which I traced back to some unrelated Taiwanese company called "Digital Media Cartridge Ltd." once upon a time. Certainly this is the system their Mega Drive clones use - don't know if it's the same for the Game Gear/Master System.

I get the feeling AtGames doesn't have many programmers at its disposal, anyway.

3. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Actually, my friend has two kinds of portable Genesises (Genesi? Many Genesis? Whatever.) One is called the GenMobile, and has an actual cartridge slot for Genesis games. The other is called the Gopher, and has an SD card slot instead of a cart slot. Both of them have 20 built-in games, as well as the sound being ...different. Some songs are higher-pitched, some are lower. In musical terms, I would say they're in different keys. Another thing to note is that both of these are licensed by Sega. (One last thing is that in the Gopher's manual, in the S&K description is misspells Eggman's name as "Robtonik". Not as funny as "Robotonic", but still a laugh to look at.)

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    They all use the same crap soundchip - it marrs an otherwise pretty nice device. Certainly the SD one is a great way to carry a lot of MD games around on a portable device with decent controls - I use mine to play ROM hacks =P