don't click here

Akward sprite problem in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Aquaslash, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Yeah...so in the process of editing sprites and mappings with the wonderful SonMapED, I have a few frames that come out looking like this:

[​IMG]

Notice the random 100. This happens on this frame, and two walking frames (it's actually the same frame but at different rotations).

Just what exactly is causing this? These frames are in the original offset indexes (I haven't moved them to the end of the tiles), and I've been using the tiles from the warping sprite to add pieces here and there.

Also, how do I go about fixing it, because I'm certain I'll run into this again.

2. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    That usually happens to me when I use too many tiles on a single sprite. The ideal way to fix that would be to increase the VRAM space for Sonic's sprites, which I don't have a clue how to do (although I wish I did... it'd be useful since I have the same problem).

3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I remember having the same problem, and drx explaining how to do it. It's something I'd never have figured out on my own. :x Lemme find it..

EDIT: Found it. At loc_CD4 find the line..
    Code (Text):
    1. move.l  #$94019370,(a5)
    this is what you edit. the '01' and '70' part. $170 is how much space in VRAM to use for Sonic's art, so go figure out what to edit it to. Doing this will overwrite the points numbers, as they are right after Sonic in VRAM, so you'll have to move them and edit the object to point somewhere else for it's art too. (Or just remove the points numbers altogether.)

4. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Thanks, and btw, how much space do the points numbers?take??I?want?to?make?sure?I?don't?overwrite?anything?else.

EDIT: Oh, and in case someone wants to know, to remove the points numbers, go to Obj_Index: and replace Obj29 with ObjectFall.

5. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Honestly? I cannot remember. :D; Look at VRAM whilst playing normal Sonic 1.

Or just going to Obj29: and add in an rts.

6. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    My God...why was I thinking "points numbers" referred to pointers? XD
    *needs to learn the jargon*

anywho, thanks to you both.

[​IMG]

Problem solved...for now anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.