don't click here

Advice/Help/Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Knux13, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    After managing to hold my position as top salesman at both Circuit City and Fry's Electronics, and after a not-so-brief stint at a desk job, I've just started my new job as a camera salesman for a sizable local chain yesterday. So far, so good, I've been learning procedure and even managed to sell a $350 camera already (albeit with only one attachment), but I have a problem: I know dick about photography.

My uncle was a very prestigious photographer, he even had an entire issue of Vogue dedicated to his work last year (brownie points if anyone guesses his name). I've dealt with and sold point-and-shoot cameras at Circuit City, though not many (I was most always selling computers). Now, the shop I work for sells more or less every kind of camera, from point and shoot to DSLRs. They carry most major brands, but our preferred brands are Canon and Nikon.

So, what I'm getting at, is to ask if anyone here knows much about digital cameras. I'm studying up and researching what I can, but I have a long way to go, and there's a sizable amount of information out there. If you guys can give me some pointers on what to look for in a DSLR, a lens, or even point and shoot cameras, I'll love you. For that matter, if you have a camera, and could tell me your favorite features and/or things you most dislike about it, that would rock out too.

Basically, anything you have to say about your cameras, I want to hear.

I'm not so much looking for sales pitches, per se, as I am just general information, and specific information.

If there are certain techniques you like to employ in digital photography, bad experiences, anything, just let me know. It will really help me out.

Thanks in advance!

2. Knux13

Knux13

tl;dr?

Come on people, I know you all have some input!

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I really wish I knew more about photography... unfortunately the things that I have that most resemble a camera are this webcam thing that records at 8fps and something on my VX8550 that sucks in any form of lighting.

4. Tsukiyo-chan

Tsukiyo-chan

Not Who You Think I Am Member
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Keeping private matters exactly that. Private.
    Well now that there's a plugin for Adobe Bridge, you don't have to worry about Nikon RAW files not being supported =D

Um... I haven't used many DSLR cameras and I'm still on my hunt for the perfect affordable one....but I HAVE used an old Nikon and a fancy new Canon Rebel....still gunna kill my friend for ever calling it shit.... The one problem with the canon rebel was the ISO...after reading the manual from cover to cover THREE times I couldn't find how to change the ISO so it's stuck at 100 which is really only good for taking pictures outside on a very bright sunny day. (higher ISO = more light sensitivity but grainier/noisier photographs)

As with point and shoots, more megapixels is better.... quality adjustability is also a WONDERFUL feature on both.

There are some horrible companies out there that make DSLR cameras that don't take any sort of SD card. This is the evilest thing you can do. Having to install a camera instead of just taking the SD card and shoving it into the computer you want to print from (since it might not always be your own...) is an extreme inconvenience.... I don't care if the cameras are cheaper that way...it's a dick move.

Um...obvious tip: serious photographers need SLRs....amateurs looking for a camera to use on vacation need point and shoots. :3

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Every time I check this topic my brother isn't frigging in, and I know he'd be able to answer this. I'll try and see if I can get hold of him.

6. Knux13

Knux13

Thanks, I would really appreciate that!

And Tsukiyo, thanks for the input!

7. Get me a discount on a D90! =P
    Got a Rebel XT but I'm looking to upgrade. But yeah, the XTi and the D90 (previously the D80 until very recently) are probably the best cost effective DSLRs on the market.

I actually don't know shit about photography either. Alls Is knows is I want a D90 and a bunch of lenses. =(

8. Strike Da Mic

Strike Da Mic

Illustrator / Musician Member
    Niederglatt, Switzerland
    GameRights.ch, Sonic 2 HD
    Don't sell Bridge Cameras. :P They're those that look like real professional expensive cams, but are actually more or less basic consumer cameras.
    In Switzerland, SLR Cams are pretty cheap right now. So anyone that phones me up at work and says "hey, I'd like to shoot artistic pictures or have nice pics of my children etc etc etc", get a SLR. Right now, the Canon EOS 450D is a pretty good thing, together with a 15-55mm lens. Goes for all the basic stuff, leaves you a lot of possibilities to play with to get just the pic you want, and is not expensive. Maybe get a 50-200mm lens later, extends your possibilities.
    Sell 'em a book on their new camera, though. If you're new to it, it's not really easy.

Anyone that comes and says "I want a camera that I can take out, turn on, aim, shoot and it's done", sell 'em any point and shoot over 6 or 8 megapixels. As soon as they want to do a little more with their pictures than that, it's straight to the SLRs, baby. I'm not really a photography pro, though, just an enthusiastic.