don't click here

A Computer Kit or Parts...?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jay T., Sep 14, 2011.

1. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I wasn't really planning on making this topic anytime soon, but I figured now should be the right time, rather than wait till the last minute.

I've been talking with a few friends about computers, and especially custom made computers you can make yourself. I've known for a while that custom computers are a cheaper, but effective way to get a good computer, but...wow. I didn't expect it to be a really good thing. I'm thinking about it now, but part of me really wants to get a new computer by buying parts to make one, or if it is a good thing, buy a Do It Yourself Kit. Whatever is better. What I need help on is that I dunno what parts or kits to get for a great price. I kind of know what kind of computer I want to get, but I dunno if the kit would be a better idea, or there's some really good parts that the kits don't have. If it helps, the computer I got now is a Dell Inspiron 537, that I got on sale a couple of years back. The only difference is that it's running up to 4GB of RAM instead of 2GB and Windows 7 instead of Windows Vista.

Truth be told, I'm not exactly a wiz at what goes on within the computer, which is kind of why I'm asking for help.

I dunno how much money I'm going to need, but I guess my current maximum limit for just the parts (excluding monitor, OS, and so-on)...is, I guess anywhere between $300-500, although that could change in the future. I'm trying to get something before the year is up (I don't have that much money yet either, but hopefully I will soon).

I'm basically looking for a good performance computer, especially for something like games and programs like Photoshop. I do want to get more memory on the new computer, so I'm thinking...8GB should be good, especially how cheap it is compared to back then. I have heard the whole AMD vs. Intel thing, but it seems like AMD might be the way to go, right? Also, a friend of mine (who is also good with computers, but I can hardly contact him) showed me TigerDirect a while back, which seems to be alright, but I've seen Newegg, and wonder, which is better?

I'm currently looking for some good parts, but I would like your opinion on some parts if you know any. When I find a good amount, I'll try to come back and ask what you guys think, but if you know any good stuff, please share.

2. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Can't catch me ya bastard! Member
    Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    Definitely Newegg. They've got tons of user reviews for almost everything they sell, and a very nice organized interface to search for and find the parts you want. I've always had the best of luck with Newegg; all the reviews and information right upfront and a very easy to work with company when it comes to returns and support.

If you're on a budget and your computer isn't toooo old, you can see about re-using some parts from it to save yourself money. The Windows 7 license should be good to transfer over, your hard drive if its big enough for you already will work, as will the DVD drive. Of course another large chunk can be saved by using the same old monitor, speakers, mouse, and keyboard too. What I did when I first built my PC was reuse all of that stuff, bought the rest of the parts, and upgraded slowly for awhile until I finally had the money to rebuild a much better PC.

When trying to choose a processor, try not to get too swept away in all the numbers and marketing talk. Everyone's throwing out a bunch of numbers and abilities at once trying to make their processor sound just a little bit better than the others and it can be confusing. Generally you want a high clock speed, at least 2 cores (4 if you've got the cash), and a fast FSB. If you're planning on 8GB of ram you will need a 64bit processor and a 64bit OS to use all 8GB. A 32 bit system will only be able to use 4GB ram at max. As for AMD vs Intel, it's just a matter of preference there. I've had much better luck with Intel, but others swear by AMD.

When building a PC, some people choose to cheap out on the power supply, but honestly I think that's one of the parts you shouldn't cheap out on. A good power supply should last for several years without worrying about it dying and potentially taking other hardware with it. The only part you should buy absolutely the cheapest of is the ram. Different speeds of ram will be completely un-noticeable to almost anyone, so that $90 stick of ram is just as good as that $20 one.

Your first build probably won't be some godly thing in the end, particularly at $300-500, but it should kick the pants off of any similarly priced Dell. (If Dell's wore pants.) Good luck :)

3. Jay T.

Jay T.

Thanks Cyberblade!

Okay! Major Edit here, hope someone sees it. But, I went around and I might've found some good parts for around $400, excluding stuff like monitor, keyboard, etc. along with excluding the shipping and handling. This is what I got so far and would love your opinion on this. If you got any better suggestions, please tell me.

CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Video Card
    Internal Hard Drive
    Power Supply
    Case

Okay, dunno for sure if the power supply is good enough, since I dunno how many watts I need, so let me know if that is enough. As for the case, I kind of want to get fancy, to be honest, but I made sure it was also good. I would've gotten a Silver one, but it would've costed more for some reason. I think everything works together. Oh, as for the DVD Player, I'll simply use the one on this computer when I do the switch (I rarely put CDs in there anyway), and I might get another 120mm fan, since I've heard from a review that you can put one more fan inside the case to intake air. What do you guys think of this build? Is it good? How strong do you think it is? Should I get something else? Tell me your opinions, please.

4. Do you want to do serious gaming with this? As in, maxing games out. And what resolution is your monitor? Because the graphics card isn't really good. Also it doesn't support DirectX11 (however, DirectX11 isn't used that much, sadly) . You're going to have to spend quite a bit more than $70 if you want to max games out (however, it depends on your resolution too).
    8 GB ram is a bit overkill, especially if you don't want to spend too much money on your pc. I have 8 GB of ram and I've never seen my pc use more than 4 GB.

Also about the AMD vs. Intel, IMO AMD is better if you don't want to spend too much money on the CPU, but if you want the best performance (and spend the most!) you should get Intel. At your price range, AMD > Intel (IMO once again).

5. Jay T.

Jay T.

Truth be told, at the moment I have no plans on playing any games with some high quality graphics, not yet at least. I mean, I'm not playing anything like World of Warcraft. Might be a long time from now anyway, so maybe I can ease up on the graphics card. Maybe...something powerful enough to run 3D graphics that most Sonic fan games have or something? Maybe something to play games on the Playstation emulator with little to no lag (and maybe Dreamcast emulator since I want to try some games)? Any suggestions? As for my monitor, it's 1366x768. I just wanted to be sure I have a good quality graphics card, but...maybe I'm overdoing it now. Anyone knows a good one for a cheaper price? I guess in the future, I can upgrade the card when I want to play some high quality games.

As for the RAM, I've been hearing that more RAM is good, and that's kind of what I want. I'm currently running 4GB of memory (originally had 2GB), but I still sometimes experience a bit of lag when it comes to having certain programs open at the same time or maybe a bit of random slowdown. Not too often, but sometimes. Dunno why. I paid a lot to get 4GB back in the day, and it seems like I can get 8GB for a cheaper price than before, so I want to take advantage of that. I guess, better to be safe than sorry?

Like I said, I'm a real newbie when it comes to computer parts. If you know any parts that you recommend me getting instead of the ones I mentioned above, link me and explain why, if possible.

EDIT - If you're only using half of your RAM's power, are you using 32-bit OS or 64-bit? That might be the reason...

6. I'm on a 64-bit os. I meant that the ram usage never goes over 4 GB, it says I have 8 GB available (well, it once went over 4 GB, but I was running Intel Burn Test, so that doesn't count :P ). I don't know if the 8 GB made my pc faster than if I would've used 4 GB. Anywho, I don't know if more ram will help, but it's never bad! Also maybe more ram might be necessary in the future, I don't know. As for emulators, they are mostly CPU-depending (you need a decent graphics card of course, but you don't need a great one). I'm not sure what kind of cpu you need for Dreamcast/Playstation emulators, I never "used" those emulators.

About the graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102871
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 instead of HD 4670. Costs the same. It has 512 mb of video ram instead of 1 gb, but since you're playing on a pretty low resolution I don't think that matters (in comparisons between the same graphics cards and more video ram, only if you're playing at a really high resolution (like 2560x1600) 512 mb starts being a bottleneck. )
    According to benchmarks, in Crysis for example, the HD 5670 is 25% faster at 1280*1024, 32% faster at 1680*1050 and 33% faster at 1920*1200 (at custom settings) than the HD 4670. Not sure if it was the 1 gb or 512 mb version, but I don't think it matters.

Sources:
    Radeon HD 5670 benchmarks
    Benchmarks of same graphics card with different amount of video ram.

EDIT: About the fangames, I don't know. I know Sonic Fan Remix is very GPU-dependent (I had a 5450, I could hardly run it at lowest settings at 1024*768, got a 6850, could run it at 1680*1050 maxed with ease), and since the 5670 is a few steps up from the hd 5450, I think you'll be able to run it decently. Not sure if you can "max it out" at 1366x768 though. Same goes for Sonic GDK.

EDIT2: The HD 5670 has DirectX11, btw

EDIT3: Any specific reason you choose the hard drive you choose? Since for 5$ more you can get a 1 tb 7200rpm hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

7. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    How about this,

CPU: AMD Phenom II 720 Black Edition Triple Core 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS 4GB DDR3 1333
    Video Card: Asus NVidia GT 430 1GB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E
    Power Supply: ENERMAX Tomahawk ETK500AWT 500W
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
    CD drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
    CPU cooler COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Total Cost: $385.92

You'll obviously need a case aswell but that's really down to personal taste, you shouldn't spend over $50 though, maybe this one.

It isn't going to play the latest games on the maximum settings but for internet browsing, image editing and emulating it will more than manage. It's perfectly upgradable for the future aswell, simply swap out the CPU for a hex core, stick in more RAM and more powerful video card.

8. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    I was instantly reminded of this...
    It's a shame Newegg don't ship to the UK or I'd be building my next PC with them. Overclockers can be a bit expensive for my pocket at times, leaving only Aria as one of my next best options. Unless there is any other half-way decent places to order from in the UK?

9. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
  10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I've used www.ebuyer.com for computer equipment for several years and never had any real issues, and that includes a return or two on some DOA RAM. I'd recommend them.

11. Jay T.

Jay T.

Sorry. Should've responded sooner.

CarrierHack: That card actually looks really impressive. I may go along with that one. Also...I kind of didn't notice that hard drive, but yeah. I'll definitely get that one.

SteelBrush: You can't get that Processor unless you buy a combo, and that Motherboard is sold out. The Hard Drive doesn't seem bad, but Carrier showed me something similar at smaller price. Plus, the reviews seem better. Might get the DVD drive if I reconsider, and I might as well get that fan too since I can input another into the case. Also, the case you posted is the same price as the one I posted. Just letting you know. But in terms of the power supply, how many Watts do I need? I'm sure I don't need up to 500W, do I or better to be safe than sorry?

AamirM: Well...I may have said my limit is at $500, but I'm personally trying to buy a high performance computer at a cheap cost. Plus as I said, I dunno how much money I'll exactly have, but I should at least have more than $400 later on. $500...maybe. We'll see what happens.

So far, so good. Thanks for the suggestion guys! You can keep going if you know something better (or you want to convince me about a previously mentioned part), or what I got now is good enough?

EDIT - I added the price of all the parts, switching the ones I had with some of the suggested ones I agree with. It comes down to $393.92 without shipping and handling. That doesn't sound too bad, or am I getting a bad part?

12. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    This is the best I could do with ~$400 budget. Remember, the prices include S&H.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($77.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 460 1GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Thermaltake 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($28.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $401.93
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

13. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I'm in the UK so I have no idea how suppliers work in the US, so sorry for that, I suggested the case because of the front fan, it's an Enermax Vegas, I have three of them, they look impressive if your into LEDs, the really do move air aswell. The CPU Cooler has been recommended once already on this forum. Another case I could recommend is the Cooler Master Elite 370. For your money, you get good build quality and a tough paint finish but compared to the NZXT case lacks included accessories, so probably not as good value.

I'd add Scan to that, there is no free postage option like Ebuyer but they do have some good deals that you don't find else were, the website is well designed and easy to use aswell.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh, yeah, Scan are decent, a friend of mine swears by them.

15. Jay T.

Jay T.

Ah, it's cool. As for the case, it doesn't seem too bad. Truthfully, part me wants to get something a bit fancy, but still of good quality. Kind of why I chose the NZXT case. It also comes with two 120mm fans on the front and side, but you can buy one more 120mm fan to put in the front. I looked at a review on YouTube of the case and it seems fine. Although, I kind of wish I could get the case in Silver or Blue, but it costs $20 more on Newegg. Dunno why. Oh well.

It's not bad, but, isn't it kind of weird to buy a Motherboard capable of 32GB, but only buy 4GB Ram? I mean, I could add more, but I wouldn't be able to maximize it. Kind of sounds a bit like a waste, but I could be wrong. Also, isn't that graphics card a bit much? Not like I'm playing some high quality games...I think. However, still, it's a good build.

Okay...umm....how to explain this? Well, my dad has known about the idea of me getting a custom computer lately and he's kind of worried that I would spend a lot of money online for computer parts that might not work together. I'm sure they will and all, but he thinks I better be safe than sorry, and talk it up with someone experienced with building and fixing computers. He does have a friend like that, fortunately, but I dunno when I can talk with him. If it's okay with you guys, I think what I'm going to try to do is show him this topic or at least the parts/builds suggested in the future when I can. You can still suggest stuff and what-not, since I dunno when I can talk with him, but are you guys okay with this?

I do want to thank you guys again for helping me out, big time. Can't wait to get this new computer built. ^^

16. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    "Weird"? wut?

1) Almost no application right now requires more than 4 GB of memory.
    2) In order to be able to "maximize" it, you'd have to buy four 8GB modules which would alone cost you >$1000 (since there in only ONE manufacturer that makes them).
    3) 4GB will be more than enough for a while. After that, you could add another 4GB module and it will be enough for another 3-4 years.
    4) Since you were being cheap (:P), I just went for the what was best bang for buck.

In any case, if you're willing to dole out a few extra bucks for 8GB, go ahead.

17. You mean if we're okay if you show him this topic? Sure, I guess.

Also, I'd go with AamirM's build. The cpu and graphics card are a lot better than the one you first had and the one I suggested. Only the hard drive is a bit less (500gb), but if you're running out of HDD space you can always put in a second hard drive. 4GB Ram is enough for now, it's not like more than 4GB Ram is necessary. It might be in the future, but you can always put in another ram stick(s). Also I don't think he suggested the motherboard because of the fact it supported 32 GB of Ram, for example my motherboard supports it too. I don't think that's a "special" thing (Hell, the cheapest motherboard which works with my CPU supports 16 GB of Ram).

18. Jay T.

Jay T.

Yeah, you guys got a good point. Plus I doubt I can fill 500GB that fast. The only downside is that the build doesn't include a case and the price is already over $400, but I don't think it's a major problem. At least I can still buy that Apollo case, and I guess another fan to put in the front. I'll definitely show this build off. Thanks AamirM! Thanks guys!

19. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
  20. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    No. I checked the power requirements for the GTX460. It requires +12v with 24A current. That PSU would be enough (has 29A).

Also, the mobo you're recommending is a dead end with regards to upgrade path as its AM3 only. The one I recommended is AM3+ which means you can upgrade to Bulldozer and Pilediver in future when you have enough currency.