don't click here

3d sonic fangames

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by JigenD, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JigenD

JigenD

I have a rather simple question that requires a good answer: Why is it that about 95% of sonic fan games are 2d games?.
    We have already had the definitive 2d sonic experiences in the genesis days, and the only department of sonic games in which sonic team is yet to create a good game is within the 3d realm. I have seen tons of average 2d sonic fan games getting tremendous applause and yet 3d sonic games keep getting bashed or ignored. When Sonic Team is about to release a new sonic game everyone gets hyped, hopping for a game that finally recreates the classic experience in a 3d world, and as usual, Sonic Team fails tremendously.

So why don't we start setting our sights on 3d fangames? (damizean engine, I'm looking at you...)

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    There have been 3D Sonic fangames. The problem is that a large majority of them suck. Really, really bad.

Damizean's engine is pretty well done, and pretty flexible as well; the problem is that its handling is kind of slippery and impractical. The Sonic Adventure games didn't cover the classic gameplay by any means, but they did make a working formula for Sonic in 3D. That's why I always thought a 3D Sonic fangame should try and emulate the Adventure games' handling as best as possible.

Also consider that it's much harder to develop for a 3D platform—talent in that area is pretty scarce.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Probably it won't come from the model area because I've seen a lot of models ripped from the official games to be used into SRB2. At this point all Sonic models from new-school games probably can be used in SRB2... I guess it shouldn't be much different for the other objects =P

4. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Because it's harder to rip models than sprites.

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    There are just as many 3D fangames as there are good 2D fangames. It's easier for someone to whack together a 2D game in Multimedia Fusion or whatever than make a 3D game, that's why there is the impression of more 2D Fangames. But anything made with that sucks compared to something like ProSonic or Retro Sonic where the engine has been built from the ground up in C++.

6. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    There was a mod in production for Unreal Tournament 2004 called Ashura - The dark something or other. They had a few screenshots and they were impressive. Don't know about videos. I don't think it ever got / will be released, last time I checked Moddb, it was kinda in limbo.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You forgot E02. :)

8. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Sonic Adventure hacking? That would work for a 3D "Fangame".

After all, hacking a game is the best way to create a fangame, since the game's engine is available. Even if there are limitations.

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Last time I checked, the Church had considered the Limbo to be non-existant =P

10. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Oh well! The mod is stuck in a non existant realm :P

11. Why did no one mention sonic GL? It IS being continued after all ;)

12. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    We don't see good 3D fangames due to the following:
    a) We don't know what we are looking for in a -I'm stupid-good-I'm stupid- commercial 3D Sonic game that Sega can achieve.
    b) No one feels like leaving the 2D realm for hacks and such yet.
    c) It takes a good amount of work to build a Sonic the Hedgehog engine, and 3D takes too much time for Sega to give crap, and they get paid to make these games.
    d) It is probably easier to hack Sonic Adventure DX for PC or Sonic Heroes than to build a new engine from scratch.

13. *clears throat* Go look up sonic GL, that is like fucking sex.

14. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Uhh.... I'm making one D:

Srsly.

*Shameless advertising post..*

http://sonicblitz.digibase.ca/forum/

Though I'm not showing it off much right now. It's using Dami's engine with modified source, he even coded a homing attack for me, cause he's freaking awesome.

And model in progress.

[​IMG]

Also, change the config file for dami's engine to control type 1. It's analog mode, it controls way better. Almost identical to SA1 if you use a usb gamepad.

15. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Whatever you do, for the love of god do not make his hands go in back of him. Everyone mimics that, even with custom 2d sprites, and I for one think it looks just stupid and very unnatural. Maybe you can be the first person to actually use the classic sonic look in 3d where his hands are in front of him, not in the back like some kid pretending he's flying.

16. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I was planning on having his arms back, with fist's myself.

It's not like it's new for his arm's to be back.

[​IMG]

I'm planning on more of a Sonic CDish peelout for running.

BTW, no Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Big, Eggman Nega, Metal overlord, giant lizards, giant beasts, ect in my game, nor Eggman messing with greater power, and losing control. =P

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman are win please?

Although, Shadow may make a cameo, hiding in levels, and when you go near him he goes "WERE'S THAT DAAAAAAMMMMNN FOURTH CHAOS EMERALD!?"

17. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Bingo

18. Yes, please, that would be wonderful. That's all we need. ;)

19. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
  20. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Sorry, but that's complete horeshit. Apart from worse performance on very old machines, there'd be no difference. There are plenty of accurate MMF Sonic engines out there, the problem is the fangaming community died years ago. There's no reason it has to suck just because it was made in MMF. And there are quite a few FUN games which offer an "incomplete" Sonic experience too.

It's exactly as you say, it's easy to whack toegether a 2D game in MMF. So that's why you get the impression only shitty Sonic games can exist in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.