don't click here

Sonic 2 Prototype References in the Sonic OVA?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I just finished watching the Sonic OVA. After seeing the obvious reference to Sonic CD with the whole Metal Sonic deal, I also noticed two other references that are from Sonic 2 -- One I'm sure of, and the other I was led to notice by the former. Anyway, here's what I've got.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/sup...ow342/snail.png

This is the first, and most convincing snapshot of my claim. Notice anything about that Snail? It's the prototype Snail from the concept art at Sonic database! This is more than a coincidence, as from what I can see the designs are exactly alike.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/sup...adow342/ccz.png

The second, and more recently interesting is this area in the movie, dubbed "Robotropolis." This oddly reminded me of Cyber City zone, from the concept art that ICEknight posted earlier. That, combined with the Snail, led me to notice this particular reference.

What are your thoughts?

2. Skaarg

Skaarg

Nice find on the snail, but to me the 2nd pic looks more like CPZ.

3. Shade

Shade

Umm.....that first pic is of the snail enemies from Launch Base.

Secondly, Robotropolis (or Eggmanland) looks much more like the little clip of the alleged R2 Zone from Sonic CD than any Cyber City.

Nice try, but none of em really mean anything to me.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    ...which were based off the Sonic 2 prototype ones.

5. Shade

Shade

So does that make Sonic 3 an omg betaa reference? I mean, it has Hidden Palace in its level select.

I HAVE TEH BEATAH!

Seriously, this was released after Sonic 3 and Knuckles. It would be much more sensible to just say the Snail enemies in Launch Base are a prototype reference. And the second observation is way too farfetched to be taken seriously. I could just as easily say it resembles Metallic Madness or the R2 zone from the ending video.

6. C. Shyguy

C. Shyguy

The Snails (Sonic 2) were orginally supposed to climb the walls in Hill Top Zone, as seen in concept art.

The second picture could be any metallic level. Just limiting it to Cyber City doesn't seem right, because it could easily be Scrap Brain, Metallic Madness, etc.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Don't be a fucking idiot, really.

...though oddly enough, it IS a beta reference, so... :P

Seriously though, can you tell me you've seen this mentioned anywhere before? I expected smarter replies to this.

8. Shade

Shade

It wasn't mentioned anywhere before because it isn't a discovery; Its an opinionated observation.

Sonic 3 was made BEFORE the OVA, meaning if anything, Sonic 3 is a "Prototype reference".

Thank you.

Oh, and perhaps you failed to read my edit from four minutes before your last post telling me "Not to be a fucking idiot". I don't come here to spam or troll. I do actually add relevance to my posts, thank you.

And before you get upety, I am in no way trying to insult you. Just pointing out the facts I know, and my opinions.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I said the second reference would be more plausible based on the former observation. Excuse the hell out of me.

On second observation, it DOES look a bit more like the Sonic 3 snail, but in a loophole I could say the reference is still valid because of the obvious fact that the S3 Snail was based off the prototype S2 Snail (the wall climbing one, of course).

And despite what you say, I'm still getting the impression you were looking for the chance to get one up on me to make yourself look better. But whatever, you'll deny it till the end of time, so I won't bother discussing that further.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Meh, I always felt more of a tie to the styles of SCD in the OVA for some reason. I really don't know why.

11. Skaarg

Skaarg

tweaker vs shade mp3 plz.
    anyways I now think it does look more like the S3 snail. (I'd actually had forgotten about it =P)
    I stick by my idea that the metal level looks like CPZ though, because of the tube like slant. and the background kind of looks like CPZ's background.

12. Shade

Shade

...or I could just be pointing out what I know and think.

I mean, that couldn't be what a message board is for could it? :blink:

Anyway, to avoid spamming up a topic, lets just leave it at this. I don't care what my status is around here, or how people view me compared to someone else. I love it here, I love being here, I love the people here, and I love the place's purpose. Fuck my status or how people view me. I have no idea why you think because I contradicted you that I am trying to look good by "One-uping" you.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, let's see what you "really" know.

Sonic 2:[​IMG]

Sonic 3:[​IMG]

Although it seems to be a merge of the two, it resembles the Sonic 2 one more. So back off.

14. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    The snail, sorry. Looks more Sonic 3 than Sonic 2B to me. I bet when they were redrawing it they thought "we're using the snail enemy from sonic 3" and not "we're using the snail enemy which was unused in early builds of sonic".

The second pic could be infuenced from a number of city levels.

But I see the connections you're making, and they're worth pointing out.

15. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    It looks like the S3 snail with the yellow part from the Digitizer snail, with the green part changed to blue, if you ask me.

16. Shade

Shade

Oh, yeah. Of course. I mean, only the entire body resembles the Sonic 3 one. The head is soooo much bigger than the body :P

It is indeed a merge of the two which is actually an interesting discovery in itself. Looks like our mini-war actually produced something. Very ironic.

I am seriously hoping we don't have problems with one another. For god's sake I just fucking pointed out something and all of a sudden I'm trying to look better by One-uping you? Sounds more to me like someone has ego problems. Stop trying to pick a fight just because I "Discussed". I mean, you only told us to. I didnt realize we were actually not supposed to discuss it, or god forbid disagree =o

Basically:
    [​IMG]

17. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt! Member
    Lava Reef Zone
    A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
    Erm, actually, no it doesn't Tweakah. Notice that in the movie and in Sonic 3, the roller wheel is clearly visible, the one in the movie has no spikes like the one in Sonic 2, and the movie snail has 2 cannons protruding from the back, as does the snail from Sonic 3. To boot, the Sonic 2 snail has no differentiating band of colouring at the 'head-hole' in the shell, while the movie snail-bot and the Sonic 3 snail-bot do.

18. RattleMan

RattleMan

Oldbie
    I have to agree there; the Sonic 2 prototype snail looks most like the Sonic OVA one (yellow vs. metallic-silver color).

Here's some better-quality screenshots I captured from the official DVD for no good reason:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4982/snap...222009395lh.jpg
    http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8912/snap...222009486fe.jpg
    http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7116/snap...222009535bn.jpg
    http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1429/snap...222010026bo.jpg

19. Yzzerdd

Yzzerdd

Pending Member
    Sonic 3 Manual to the rescue!
    [​IMG]

20. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    Sonic CD snail owns all of those other snails so therefore, that image is referring to Sonic CD snail. YAFAFAFAFA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.