don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Why bother when they're showing it at E3 much sooner?

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Because you know what they say, the more the merrier!

No seriously, it would be wonderful to see some footage from people in this community who are interested in how well the game plays, specifically with C.Sonic in comparison to the classic games. And actually, I'm expecting an E3 trailer. Didn't think about that until just now, despite how it's a total given.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    A company promotional trailer isn't going to answer our burning questions. I much rather have an off camera footage (provided that the person holding it isn't going through a personal earthquake) than a trailer that only shows the good parts or a representative that has an answer sheet and sucks at the game.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Yes, this is where I presently sit, as well. Nobody really cares about minor niggles—they'll point them out, but it won't affect their enjoyment overmuch (at least, not unless they happen to be a major hardass about shit nobody cares about). This was the kind of thing I was hoping for with Sonic 4: Episode I—functional physics that were near enough to Sonic physics to feel like Sonic physics and function like Sonic physics, not necessarily getting every detail down to a science. It looks like Generations will deliver that. But one thing I'm wondering is whether these physics will be exclusive to Classic Sonic, or if Modern Sonic may benefit somewhat from them as well—say, with better platforming control?

Someone make sure to test that out when y'all get your hands on the demo!

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Or, you know, someone with direct feed video equipment. Surely someone who's going has such a thing.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I'm sure they'll allow just anyone to walk up to their demo stations and hook up their equipment.

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    [​IMG]
    Let's find out.

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Somehow I get the feeling we'll be restricted to recording equipment that doesn't have a significant set-up time. You know, to keep the lines moving?

We'll probably get some direct-feed footage via gaming press, anyway. Here's hoping the resolution doesn't blow eggs, like in the footage we have now.

9. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    Found this out from SSMB, but the Japanese versions of Generations HD and Generations 3D will have subtitles. The HD game name is Sonic Generations: White Time & Space and the 3DS game's name is Sonic Generations: Blue Adventure.

Kinda weird, this is the first time they're giving the different versions of a game under the same name different subtitles, or any subtitles at all, albeit only in Sonic Team's home region apparently. Closest thing to this was how Unleashed was Sonic World Adventure in Japan, iirc. The titles do sound sorta cool and I wish that they had those subtitles even in the Western territories, as it as least differentiates between the two versions of the game more.

Edit: Also according to the people at SSMB, there'll be a PSVita/NGP port of Generations, since I don't think that was brought up in this topic yet.

Second edit: Okay, I forgot about Sonic 3D, but then again, I try to pretend that game never happened. I didn't like it.

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    If we're talking directly to those who are gonna be at SOS and film the game, I have a couple of requests. There are dozens of off-camera videos released for every sonic game, and they all seem to have the same fundamental problems.

1) Film the entirety of the gameplay footage. People seem to get nervous when filming stuff off-camera, trying to cram everything of the entire event into their footage. This often leads to them panning the camera onto the controller, or looks around the room. I think people think that those watching are getting bored or something - trust me, the game footage is the most important thing to me. I'd like footage of the entire act from start to finish with no breaks in the screen.

2) If you need to film the controller for some reason, use a second camera. People often film the controller while playing so people will get a feel for how it controls. But this means panning away from the screen. If you can, use a second camera to film the controls separately, or if not possible, film the act once like normal, then play again and film only the controls. I say this because you can then later edit the footage to include the controls PIP style, which gives a much better feel for the controls, without breaking the footage of the game.

3) Please don't talk. I'm not trying to be an asshole, I really do want to hear what everyone has to say about this game... just not while filming. Please. Just film the game and try to pick up as much of the sound and music as possible.

In case it's not obvious, I'm trying to get across the point that if you want to film the game and provide footage, please concentrate on the game as much as possible.

Sorry if this came off snobby or prickish, I'm not trying to be rude or insult anyone here, especially those who are gonna provide footage for us. I'm just putting in a few requests.

Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic 3D: Flickies Island

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Is there a source to this other than "people at SSMB"?

12. http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/0...3ds_in_famitsu/

This was linked literally in the post that said about the SSMB members.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    That doesn't say anything about NGP.

14. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
  15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
  16. For some reason I just don't see the NGP getting Generations as a launch title. As always I'm prepared to eat my words though, if the NGP has as much power as it is rumoured to have then we could be seeing 3 different versions. Though if the NGP does get it, my guesses are that it'd be a downscaled PS3 port.

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's a website pretty much nobody knows of, they made it up to get attention.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Don't apologize, you just say what we're all thinking.

And if any of you d-bags fail to heed this man's advice, imma burn your house down. With the lemons. Imma get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down. So, yeah, don't fail to heed this man's advice. In fact, take a deep breath and shout, "SHUT THE @#$% UP, I'm FILMING HERE!" to the room at large before you even turn your camera on. =3

...No, but seriously, this sums up just about every problem I've ever had with any pre-release offcam footage ever. I would add Step 4: Record someone who can actually play the game, but that almost seems like it's asking too much...

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Press release for the 3DS version:
    http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/06/01/ninte...epic-adventure/

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I wonder if the 3DS version will be playable at Sonic Boom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.