don't click here

New Tom Payne interview

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    And yet it looks much more badass than emo Shadow with a gun.

Because we never tried applying the underwater palette to it. When you go underwater, the red becomes purplish.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh gawd yes singing Sonic.
    [​IMG]
    =O

3. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    What the hell, ICEknight XD

4. DAGGON. So much new things....

I see badnicks and gun toting Sonic.

AMAZING!

5. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    This is so unbelievable and cool! I feel like this is the closest to the center of Sonic 2's conceptualization and development we'll ever get to. This Tom is super awesome for sharing this with everyone.

To elaborate, different synonym, same meaning. "Hidden" sounds more enigmatic than "Secret", IMO.

6. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The amount of new badniks is staggering. I think Sonic 2 Delta suffered from lack of new enemies, now there will probably be too many for him to incorperate. I'm hoping these are incorperated in Sonic 2 delta anyway.

7. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    aaah!
    This is nothing short of amazing
    I feel like we should give something back to this guy.

8. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    That rhombus is the coolest thing, they had some pretty clever traps going for it. Also, I really love those frogs.

EXPLODING CACTUS

9. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    This is amazing!
    I think I have a lot of work to do now...

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Dear god, 3D art from Shadow and '06 AND tons of new old Sonic 2 concept art? In the same day? What's next, media for Project Needlemouse?

*waits for it*

Loving those sprites. Are they printed or did he draw them "pixel by pixel" on paper?

Also, first Sludgehog fanart (that I know of):
    [​IMG]

11. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    That grid paper map layout of "Metropolis Act 3 - A" is the exact layout (minus the moving platform with spikes on it's underside and two steam springs in the same area) to the Metropolis Act 3 in Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta. The paper grid layout doesn't however show the entire level from Simon's beta - there is actually another section that comes after it, and once you get to that point, you start coming across objects which aren't shown anywhere else in the paper grid layout or in fact in the rest of the level in the Beta (Example 1, 2, and 3. Correct me if I'm wrong though). So it appears that everything in the level beyond where the paper grid ends is completely new content for this Act - both in terms of objects and layout.

I remember someone mentioning how it wasn't uncommon for SEGA to recycle old carts that had data in them already. So it's probably a bit of leftover data from whatever game was previously on the cart.

All the information we've been provided with so far is absolutely amazing. I can't thank Tom enough.

12. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The stuff is archived on the wiki now, for the most part they are all in <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Game Development:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Game Development:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)</a> and Other Scrapped Sonic 2 Badniks.

13. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I been reading this thread for a while but forgot to reply, this stuff is quite amazing and an awesome insight into how badniks were worked up.

14. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Sorry to burst your bubble here, but these are really just katakana transliterations of the English words. ("jenosaido" and "saibaa" if I'm not mistaken) I'm pretty sure it's a coincidence that both words happen to use the "sa" and "I" characters, because I don't see any plausible scenario where the two would have been confused. If we were talking about kanji, on the other hand...

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well Japanese people are known to make mistakes when they work with English words. Think about Sonic Stadium/Studium. I'm not saying that he is right, but maybe they did think about Genocyber City at a certain point.

16. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    This is ridiculous. Yes, ?????? [jenosaido] and ???? [saibaa] share two common characters, ? and ? ("sa" and "I"), but that's like saying "Genocide" is a misspelling of "Cyber" because both words have "e"s. It is entirely more likely that they misunderstood what "genocide" meant.

This is all pretty awesome stuff. Personally I hope we get a hold of the contents of the digitzer disks. I tried replicating the ball sprites from the posted scan, but the quality is far too low to make out the different dark hues. At least the color palette is all layed out in hexadecimal!

17. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Well, Tom said that it was most likely that the Japanese team wanted to make a word that would sound dangerous and ended up with something that ended up sounding too dangerous XD

18. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    All thsi stuff is really interesting. I'd love to see such things for the very first Sonic.

Also, Desert zone and its exploding cactus sounds (or sounded) really cool!

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  20. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I... wow..
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.