don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Playing Unleashed right now, it's kind of funny that Sega apparently has a strict mandate against portraying Rings as currency in the comics, considering that's literally exactly what they do in Unleashed. Even aside from the in-game function of using them to buy stuff at the shops, NPCs make references all the time to Rings as money.

2. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Maybe an odd tangent, but was Unleashed the only Sonic game to let the in-level ring counter go past 999?

Now there's a game with a mechanic I wish they'd revisit. Maybe different partners would alter the homing attack properties...? As for all the level design talk, yeah, Rectangles Over Pits Zone Act 17 wouldn't be the best place for homing attack momentum, though with a good aiming reticle (like Generations's) and some solid control over Sonic mid-jump I think it could still be reasonably forgiving.

And as for... right, Frontiers: It'll definitely be interesting to see how they handle the map, both the main overworld and whatever levels/challenges they might have scattered about. I hope the game can strike a good balance between fun longer-form traversal and interesting platforming challenges.

3. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Can't think of any counterexamples. It's funny because the HUD for the Don Fachio missions clearly wasn't designed in anticipation that you could collect 1,000 rings in a single level (very easy to see in Jungle Joyride and Rooftop Run if you don't get hit, kind of funny that the Level 3 mission for JJ only asks you to get 400 rings).

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I think that's the very reason they did away with them. Unlike item boxes rings can't be homing attacked, so no cheesing it when trying to grab them while running. Not to mention the homing attack cancels your momentum, which would potentially ruin the flow in the boost games.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    So we have an official confirmation of an already official confirmation.

6. Purely because people just can't stop spreading rumors lol

7. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Was there really a group of fans so far in denial they were making conspiracies out of the stream confirmation?

Who, in this day and age, loses their shit over the possibility of Amy having a big role in a game? It feels like I'm back in the mid-2000's, lol.

8. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Supposedly it was even going so far to say that Justin (the dude from the official Sonic streams) was forced to lie, their reasoning was his "awkward body language". Not like being in front of a camera with no script can make someone act a bit off.

Granted, it was probably just a select few loud, weird people saying that. Probably annoying enough to deal with for them that they had to come out and reconfirm it, though. :V

9. Given how the most vocal tangents of Sonic fans seem continuously stuck in the past, its not shocking.

10. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Oh yeah, the fandom for the past few years has just been mining nostalgia. We're regurgitating old talking points from the Sonic scene of the 2000s ("old Sonic is actually a different character from this cringy new Sonic," "Sonic used to be cool for real, now he just panders to kids," "Ken Penders is a wank pheasant,") instead of actually coming up with anything new. :V

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Everyday this video pops up for me...
    upload_2021-12-25_3-15-3.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Just find the three dots and hit "Don't Recommend Channel". Problem solved.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Can we please not derail this into another retread of the "The younger fandom, and how they learned from exactly none of our mistakes" thread?

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, agreed! Far be it from me to regurgitate old talking points. ;)

Given that we now have double plus confirmation that the voice is Amy, what do we think of the so called "ghost girl" from the leaks?

Either the leakers were wrong and ghost girl WAS Amy... or she's not Amy but IS real, in which case Sega is being REAL cagey about revealing her. Maybe they're worried if Sonic has a human-looking companion, the "lol 06" comparisons are going to kick into overdrive?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I think there will be a ghost girl. We barely know anything about the plot besides some ancient technology. There might be some ancient civilization related to it, like Tikal in SA1.

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I know one really simple way to prevent that!

17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    If SAGE still exists in some form from the outdated plot synopsis, I could see that being our ghost girl, but Amy is an entirely plausible theory, given how ethereal her voice is.

18. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    I've been getting videos I've already watched, including a Mega Man X6 playthrough by a Brazilian guy. Youtube's recommendation is really broken at this point.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  19. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    ...it's Amy. I don't understand why people are still arguing this point.