don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh ya with a September release? Ya the game looks like this. At this point that ain't changing

2. Linkabel

Linkabel

Didn't it happen already yesterday during The Future Games Show?

I'm sure that was it, just sort of expecting more interviews by sites and outlets posting gameplay on their YouTube channels tbh.

(Sone that have been already posted in this thread)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

More Planet Wisp footage:

holyfuckwhydoboostersnowmakethespirngsounditssobad

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I didn't notice until you mention it but yeah what the hell lol. It wasn't this way in the OG Colours, right?

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nope, not like this in the original game. The rainbow rings do it as well in Ultimate. It's a design choice that someone made for this remaster, and it needs unchoosing.

Planet Wisp looks mostly fine, but the flat 2D textures being used for the background in certain places looks really naff here. Like everything to the left of Sonic in this screenshot:
    [​IMG]
    Looks fine on a 480p Wii game from 2010, but dreadful on a 1080p or 4K PS4/XB1/PC game in 2021, even if it's just a Wii remaster.

6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Those gold coins are replacing all the 1-ups, even at the score screen (which makes sense, since there is no life system anymore).

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Looks like the skybox in Planet Wisp has received the SADX treatment:
    [​IMG]

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I think, for future games, the ideal would be to have a list of difficulty options (just like you had in Forces, but not as dumb as in Forces). Options such as: percentage of rings you lose when taking a hit (50% or 100%), gain life by collecting 100 rings (yes or no), gain life every 50,000 points (yes or no), initial amount of lives (3, 5 or 10), bottomless pit warning (yes or no), etc.

But SEGA isn't too wrong to want to abolish the system of lives. Nowadays, Game Over in Sonic games represent nothing. You just play the level again and you're done.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ugh, the texture glitches and flat background textures disappoint me

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I was bothered by the results screen for the longest time and I've only just now realised it's because it's a flat image with Sonic and the HUD overlayed on top. I didn't notice the use of flat background textures in the gameplay because my eyes were on Sonic, as they ought to be when playing really, but when it's not being used to augment the existing geometry and Sonic is the only 3D model in shot, it becomes glaring. Fire Emblem: Three Houses does the same thing during its in-engine cutscenes, and it's just so damn obvious. Like, the geometry already exists, there's got to be at least one place in each level where you can just plonk Sonic for the sake of the results screen.

Anyway, I think Planet Wisp looks nice. Seems like Tropical Resort is, thus far, the most egregious area in terms of colours and brightness. Not a deal breaker for me, but I'll most likely be double-dipping when the game comes to Steam as I'm sure there'll be mods released to bring the game closer in art direction to the original very soon after it hits Steam.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh ya the background of the results screen has always been a flat texture, it looked pretty bad in OG Colors too (well if you're playing on Dolphin and upscale everything suddenly you get this crusty jpg in the background and... yea).

I do like the addition of the timing bar though, now you know how long you can dick around the results screen before they cut you off.

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

Where's all the color-saturating bloom? The brief shine on the metal early in the gameplay tells me they probably have some sort of PBR material system in place but the botched new lighting doesn't showcase it at all, and that 2010 "bloom everywhere" coloration is just almost completely missing besides on specific glowy point lights and Rings. It's there briefly upon getting out of the tunnel, but nowhere near as much as it was even on the original Wii version.

Egg Pawn explosions look glitchy, the vibrancy is missing, the Laser Wisp glow is broken as is how the crystals they interact with simply aren't glowing like they should, and everything is darkened and occasionally desaturated. They're using what seems to be the same shadowmaps as the original, but everything on an individual scale got the SADX treatment. I know it's probably nitpicky as hell but I do care about Colors, and this feels like a compromised port.

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Seeing it side by side like that makes me hate the bloom even more. It just burns out the detail...

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It did... on GameCube!

Better water (no idea why they went with radioactive blue on PC)

And has actual shadows projected from the stage geometry!

In other places the lighting is better, and in other's its worse, though.

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

I looked through some other footage only to realize that for seemingly no reason whatsoever, the entire Earth (Sonic's World? whatever) is inexplicably missing in Ultimate's Tropical Resort Act 2. And there's nothing to fill the gap, so it's just stars.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  17. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
  18. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Eh, don't agree. It's a platformer. Of course there should be pits. But Sonic's speed means they have to be more careful with them in 2D. I think it's rather zealous to go as far as to say they shouldn't be in the game, especially when the ring system makes it hard to die in Sonic games' in general.

I'm pretty sure its a consequence of needing to make layouts and paths that actually allow Sonic's speed to have meaning and context while also letting obstacles not become superfluous. Sonic moves very fast so wide open spaces in 3D results in Sonic just kind of running aimlessly with no obstacles and with enemies just whizzing by never hoping to ever be a threat to the player.
    (oops, double posted. my bad)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2021
  19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  20. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

...what is going on with the audio in these gameplay videos? So many of the sound effects sound like they're coming from the far left or right when they have no reason to.