don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean it's more than just one set of gloves/shoes. But every game these days has like costume customization options in it, why shouldn't this? Personally I like the shoe options, I think the paint splatter one we've seen in particular looks really cool.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Gonna be honest, I've never liked cosmetic choices for character outfits in games. Anything that's not the "proper look" just feels wrong to me. And custom characters? Bleh. No thank you.

But this is harmless. Okay locking the gold and silver attire a pre-order, digital deluxe edition is not harmless, but the simple act of including the option to change Sonic's attire doesn't take anything away from the game. I'd rather that than the "movie boost" that gives his boost a totally different set of visual effects. That's bizarre, cause it's like half a Movie Sonic skin. Based on the Player Icons that you get with pre-orders or the digital deluxe version (seriously fuck all of these different tiers), I think that SEGA probably weren't willing to pay for the rights to the Puma shoes in Colours Ultimate.
    [​IMG]

He's wearing the Puma shoes in the full artwork, but if you look closely at the Icons, he's wearing the generic red trainers with white laces.

3. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    No Officer Burpo icons, no sale.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Right where's classic Sonic character Tom the cop's icon :V

5. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Honestly, with the long and fabled history of Sonic OCs, the avatar, and current trends, they'd be dumb to not have customization. Personally I'm fine with it, we already had a taste of that with the Chao and such and I was suuuuper into that.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Zippo DM'd me to say there's actually a special post-credits scene that got added to the remaster which features Sonic, Burpo, and their white cop friends laughing heartily.

7. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I find it funny how Sonic's pre-order bonuses have always been hilariously awful. Lost World's 20 extra lives (which probably were useful in that game but still dull), Sonic Forces' extra costumes, and now whatever the fuck this is for Colors Ultimate.

I mean it's good because pre-order bonuses are awful, but I still find it funny how SEGA can't even rip off Sonic fans properly. They really can't do anything well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Okay to be fair, preorder bonuses are ALWAYS awful, it's not fair to blame Sega for this one.
    The few games that actually locked meaningful content behind preorders got immediate backlash and rightfully so, preorder bonuses should be shitty costumes and consumables and nothing more.

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm not blaming them. I'm saying it's good that their preorder bonuses are awful.

It's just from my perspective, they aren't doing it out of kindness, they are doing it because they are just awful at ripping fans off. They probably think the costumes are more exciting than they are.

Or maybe I'm cynical, who knows!

10. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

you mention dlc and you forget Super Sonic in Forces. That was nearly a paid addon.

I cant wait for this game to get the same treatment. If it were up to me, I'd sell the final final boss. The assets are there to basically remake the fight from Colors DS: (Super Sonic, the mother wisp from TSR, asteroids from asteroid coaster), cobble em together in a month or so, sell it as the "true ending" for $5.99 and bingo presto.

11. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    I wouldn't mind that actually, as long as they redo some DS levels as well. I can also see them reacting to everyone wanting Tails to be playable and chucking him in as a re-skin of Sonic but with the hover wisp permanently. If this is day 1 DLC included in the files and can be accessed through modding I will be able to see your point though.

12. The US editions are pretty bad. However, the Japanese limited editions are pretty nice (but obviously pricey):

AmiAmi "Sonic Colors Ultimate 30th Anniversary Package" with "AmiAmi exclusive bonus" links:
    PS4: https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=GAME-0025226 (approx $77 USD)
    Switch: https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=GAME-0025228 (approx $85 USD)
    Comes with:
    Amazon.co.jp "Sonic Colors Ultimate 30th Anniversary Package" links:
    PS4: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B095X8B1WF?linkId=4b5e589211717f9799df9fc91112f4ae (approx $73 USD)
    Switch: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B095XB7VF5?linkId=4b5e589211717f9799df9fc91112f4ae (approx $73 USD)
    Comes with:
    Amazon.co.jp Sonic Colors Ultimate 30th Anniversary Package" with "Mini soundtrack distribution" links:
    PS4: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B095XBF2GL?linkId=4b5e589211717f9799df9fc91112f4ae ($90 USD)
    Switch: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B095X544VX?linkId=4b5e589211717f9799df9fc91112f4ae ($90 USD)
    This contains "Mini soundtrack distribution" (this is what Google Translate says btw...not sure if accurate) but not sure exactly what it entails. I don't see it described anywhere in the product description. I'm assuming it's an OST compilation, but not sure...? It's almost $20 more than the above regular 30th Anniversary packages.

Don't forget these prices here are without shipping though, which costs a bit since it's overseas shipping. I've ordered from both AmiAmi and Amazon.co.jp, and they both ship to the states at least, but typically it's around $10-$20 for shipping.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I'd love for this to happen, and I'm sure they'd be praised for it, but I'm scared of how Sega would interpret it's positive reception.

Best case scenario, Sega will be able to see that different playable characters with little to no differences would be great *for this particular game*, and future titles would make levels and characters with unique gimmicks that allow for separate paths and whatnot.

Worst case scenario, Sega applies said identical character system to all future titles for the next 10-15 years with no changes whatsoever.

14. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

tails is just a unnecessary easy mode assist (this game is piss easy, it's nothing like the S/NES days), don't have any reasons to buy this then, I still have my wii copy.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

You make it sound like an easy/assist mode is a bad thing. I don't think I'll ever use it, but it's nice for such an option to exist for those that want it.

If you want NES-level difficulty, there are plenty of games to choose from. But Sonic's never been that hard.

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    From interviews I almost don't think it's an option. They seem definitive in their statement that lives don't belong in games anymore. But I do see a lot of people saying pits mean nothing now, which, unless the Tails head replaces every single life object, I don't feel is an accurate assessment.

Actually, another thing I see a lot of people saying is that Jade will break levels and I also think that might be a little bit of a stretch. It seems like it's only there to access newly added areas and items - like the medals/tokens and Tails heads, as seen in that one Artstation clip.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Pits don't mean as much anymore but it sounds like checkpoints don't matter at all now. Also curious about the egg shuttle now. The finite lives are kind of what made that challenge a, well, challenge.

18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Meh, nothing they do will top giving me the Sonic hat from 2010 when I pre-ordered the Wii version.

I still have that thing.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I remember when I got Sonic Colors. They were having a midnight launch for Assassin's Creed something so I decided "I'm going to pick up Sonic Colors."

The store guy was like "well there's a pre-order bonus of the hat but would you want that?" The answer of course was yes. It remains to this day lol

The baby Sonic Keychain though? I'm good

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Fucking right?! I'd love to see a Yacker keyring or some other Colours-related bonus. Not some ugly movie related merchandise that has nothing to do with the game it comes with and was already released long ago. Granted I don't think it was readily available outside of Japan... It's still blatant, lazy pandering.

Makes me think though; this is the first Sonic game to release after the movie, right? I wonder how well it will sell.