don't click here

Bashing Sonic Mania

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chaos Rush, Jul 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almeda

almeda

you are now watching madTV. Member
    Okay I love this game and it's one of my favourites, but I do wish that they included online functionality. Also, this game had so much DLC potential, and all we got was the encore mode. You'd think with all the amazing move-sets people have come up with for Amy in Sonic ROM hacks over the years, that they'd include her, but yet all we got was Mighty and Ray. They're cool, yes, and I'm glad to have them back but adding Amy would've been perfect. They could've also come up with much more new stages too. I don't know what else to say.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. Pengi

Pengi

You're making a huge assumption.

Just because a feature isn't in a game, that doesn't mean that the developers never considered it.

Time, budget and resources often dictate whether those kinds of features are feasible.

Iizuka said that they delayed the game's release rather than cut any planned levels. When the game did release it had a bunch of bugs that had to be patched out. They were putting their efforts into finishing the game and getting it out the door. Online play isn't something that can be added so easily under those conditions.

3. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Stop rehashing zones that have already been done over and over? Generations already did Chemical Plant and Green Hill.

Also, the original levels are so excellent in makes you kinda want the whole game to be that.

Other than that, of course - this game is a reason to be excited about Sonic still. And how could we really be more proud of two fantastic community members achieved. *shrug*

4. almeda

almeda

you are now watching madTV. Member
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make an assumption like that. I just accidentally misworded what I wanted to say, and was wishing that they'd included it.

Exactly this! We could've done without either of those stages (preferably Green Hill Zone, the added gimmicks in Act 2 of Chemical Plant were pretty cool), and instead gotten new ones. I did at least enjoy how they made the second acts of the rehashed zones different from their originals, though.

Regardless, it makes me interested for another 2D game like Mania. Maybe they'll add in completely new and original stages the next time? I'd love to see it.

5. Nova

Nova

I, personally, did not like Press Garden much and am not partial to the Sky Chase version of Mirage Saloon Zone 1. Nothing against the work that went into either! I think Press Garden is gorgeous and clearly had some serious work and thought put into it, but there's just something about the aesthetic that doesn't jive with me on a personal level.

6. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I still hold the theory that Press Garden was originally two separate levels that were combined into one during development. I have no evidence to back this up, but the two levels just seem so radically different from each other that it seems plausible.

Studiopolis might actually be my least favorite of the new levels. It's great, but the other new zones are absolutely stellar. Mirage Saloon has so many things going for it - music, gimmicks, artwork all are so good and the level itself might have my favorite level design. (Minus S/T Act 1). Press Garden is a little strange, sure, but I think its gimmicks are very unique and Act 2 is just so damn good looking. Titanic Monarch is my favorite final level in all of Sonic. It's dark, imposing, climactic, and not too infuriating in its level design. Studiopolis just feels "there". I'm not sure how to describe it, but it just doesn't affect me the same way the other 3 levels do.

You may be interested to know that there is actually a mod that implements Amy in place of Mighty, with a whole new moveset and sprites.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Titanic Monarch makes me physically ill to play and it's one of the main reasons I haven't beaten Mania more than once.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm genuinely not sure if this emphasis for dramatic effect because you strongly dislike the level, or if it's a serious remark about the prevalence of plasma spheres that make the camera swirl around in a manner unlike typical Sonic levels. Either way, I don't agree but fair enough.

I can't put my finger on what it is about TMZ that puts me off playing it. It could just be that it's at the end of the game, and Mania's final few zones somehow manage to drag a bit. Typically I like to play through games from start to finish, not just select levels or time attacks. Mania's strongest levels are mostly in the first half of the game, and some of the latter levels can take just a bit too long to clear. Maybe Mania would have benefitted from shorter story campaigns?

Let's say that all 12 zones were included included across Sonic, Tails and Knuckles' campaigns, but each character would only visit 9 of those stages through the course of their stories. So for example at the end of Lava Reef Sonic and Tails would take the rocket directly up to Titanic Monarch as their final level, and Knuckles instead would go to Metallic Madness and his game would end there. Or after Press Garden Eggman could separate the group by using the Phantom Ruby to send one character to Hydrocity and the other two to Stardust Speedway as normal. Those are just random examples to spilt up a little bit and add some variety to the different playthroughs. Mania feels like it has two final levels with both MMZ and TMZ, so having to play through both back-to-back feels like a bit much.

9. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    My main gripe with Mania is the bosses (main culprit here is the spider mech from FBZ). A lot of them take waaay too long and there's a large period where there's nothing you can do but wait. I haven't beat Mania since my first time playing (before Mania Plus), so I couldn't turn off the "Time Over" option, and that lead to what I felt were many unfair deaths.

10. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

The bosses are just the worst.

11. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    The Act 1 bosses are fine for the most part imo. It’s with Act 2 bosses things get ugly; they have this annoying tendency of taking forever to beat. A lot of them require you to wait in a very un-Sonic fashion in order to get a chance to hit them one time, it’s annoying.

12. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    I mean that the camera whipping back and forth so much actually gives me motion sickness. Even thinking about it makes me queasy.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I guess I'm fortunate to have never experienced anything like this. I know my Mum complained of motion sickness when she saw me watching a trailer for Unleashed years ago,and that she also couldn't look at the monitor when I used to play the Blue Sphere Special Stages in 3K. Gotta be honest, I'm always surprised when people claim motion sickness from games and TV. I know it's a real thing, but still. Have you experienced motion sickness from any other games, or tried playing on a smaller screen if you have one at all?

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Weird. I have motion sickness problems and those balls have never given me it (nor their original incarnations in the S&K Bonus Stages, either).

15. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    There's different severities. I get motion sickness ONLY if playing games in a moving vehicle, for hours at a time (hence why I only discovered it a few years ago when riding a train for 11 hours, I wasn't a passenger long enough to trigger it before).

16. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    The graphics are questionable for most part. Too much banding, no anti-alias, hardly any hue shifting on the palettes and not to mentioned that some palettes contrast needs more adjustments. Pillow shading too that needs to be rid off too. Good lord I can go on and on about the entire graphics. And don't get me started on Encore mode shitty palettes they used.

17. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Holy shit, I know this is a bashing thread, but...wow. I don't think I ever disagreed with an opinion this much in my life.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Apart from the comment about the Encore Mode pallets. Gotta be honest, many of those were rough to look at.

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Finally... a worthy opponent an objectively wrong opinion... our battle will be LEGENDARY!

20. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

I find Studiopolis too automated, and I say this as a person that generally doesn't gripe about automation a the way others do.
    I personally liked the bosses save for Oil Ocean MiniBoss (surprise crushers was just not a fair move), and Mirage Saloon act 1 (and that whole Sky Chase section really. It was only even semi tolerable in Sonic 2 because it was so easy.)
    In general, the Classics have always had issues with boss design due to the combination of the ring system and the ability to hammer away at bosses (which itself isn't bad, but it has a compounding effect as a result).
    In that respect, I find Mania takes cues from CD and tries to make bosses that are more involved as opposed to just being an annoyance the player wants to just bum rush through and get over and done with, and I'm a fan personally.
    Wish Amy was playable, as others have said.
    Reused levels holds the game back, as others have said.
    Surprised people hate Titanic Monarch. It was my personal favorite level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.