don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The post I read stated that the artwork and assets weren’t reconfigured for the GBA, and since the Advance engine was made with the GBA hardware in mind it wasn’t able to handle it.

HOWEVER, given what MainMemory stated above, I’m going to just think the writer of the post I read was dead wrong.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They used to say Sonic Advance was running on the Sonic 2 engine. Which itself is based on Sonic 1.

So Sonic Genesis sucks because it uses the engine from Sonic 1. Yep.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  4. Loop

Loop

Pure of Heart. Dumb of Ass. Member
    This is the most plausible possibility. The disassembly of the Java port has a lot of sprites and cut features that were used for the GBA port. The latter's marketing was wholly responsable by SEGA of America, which I guess decided to cut the developing credits of the port.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    This person has no idea what they're talking about.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Who wants some wonky statistics???

Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive)/Reception
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive)/Reception
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3/Reception
    Sonic & Knuckles/Reception

(this code could be copy-pasted for any and every game on Sega Retro, I just worry that when you've got half a dozen ports being covered on one page, it starts to get messy)

Other than the worldwide figures, the numbers are unreliable (and even then they're not great) but... you could add more! These are review scores that have been added to Sega Retro, but there'll be plenty hiding in the magazine archive. The more documentation, the better Sega Retro gets at most things.

For reference, currently the most reliable Mega Drive table is Gynoug's. It reliably tells you is that views on the game were mixed. So by collecting loads of numbers from game reviews, the wiki's suggestion is not to read game reviews.

This is what my life has become.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    In the Sonic 2 page, why is 92-65-100 "mixed" while 90-65-97 is "very positive"?

Also, I can probably dig up some votes from an Italian magazine if you want.

(side note, I have dozens of issues of Italian magazines I can donate to whoever wants to pick them up)

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That'll be one of the wonky statistics.

It's based on range - if there's more than 33 percentage points (i.e. a third of the scale) between the lowest and highest scores, I've got the wiki to flag it up as "mixed" (66 for "very mixed"). That GamesMaster review is an outlier but the system's not intelligent enough to work that out (yet).

Representing this data intelligently is one for the mathematicians. Some magazines rarely score a game below 70%, and this positive skew isn't taken into the equation.

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    So the Sonic twitter acount posted a meme, with super Sonic from Adventure 1... and a "3" hidden in the picture.

Of course this doesn't mean anything :V, but still.................I can't lie and say I'm not a tiny bit hyped.

10. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    ...I see a seashell spiral and some circles. Where's the 3?

11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It's hidden in one of the circles. Towards the left of Sonic's muzzle.

... why would they put that there? Honestly I think they know we want Adventure 3 and are just trying to be dicks.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's actually referred to as the Golden ratio. I'm going to butcher this explanation, but it's a mathematical pattern often found in nature that's supposed to be a aesthetically pleasing. It's also referred to as a divine proportion. Sonic's design actually makes use of this principle, whether unintentionally or not im not sure. But it's another reason why Sonic's design is aesthetically pleasing (the old American Classic Sonic doesn't fit this as well due to his spikes doubling as a Mohawk of sorts, which is partially why it's fuglier than the other designs)

Non meme example:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    It shows up a lot in paintings too :)

14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I've heard the term before, but forgot what it meant, thanks.

15. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I feel like they're giving us false hope to generate hype. This also feels kind of specific to not be teasing an SA3.

Mike Pollock responded with a link to "3 Is A Magic Number" too. Not that it means anything other than he saw the 3 in the image.

16. MH MD

MH MD

It's obvious guys, they just teasing Sonic 3 remaster finally happening :V

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    How convenient that a single 3 is the only left over number from the template they used. Almost as if it was on purpose.

20. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"