don't click here

Panzer Dragoon: Remake and Panzer Dragoon II Zwei: Remake

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Sega is going full blast with reviving these IPs, huh?
    Forever Entertainment's past work appears to be mostly mobile games I've never heard of, so I'm not sure what kind of quality to expect.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh, it's only going to be faithful in terms of story? o_O

Maybe it will be something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roh9wCovrWw

:v:

3. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Awesome news that's just a bit shaky because the developer is unproven. Sega going all-in on reviving their IPs however is fucking amazing. Jet Set Radio could easily be next.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I really hope they do a great job. And perhaps do Panzer Dragoon Saga as well, maybe Orta if they're up for it.

5. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Orta still holds up graphically last time I checked.

Panzer 1 & 2 getting remade sounds good to me. I still consider the final fight against the White Dragon as one of the best boss fights of any rail shooter.

6. Hukos

Hukos

The ost of the OG Panzer Dragoon is a work of art and should not be touched one iota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfjqiKQmBBc

I absolutely adore the Panzer Dragoon trilogy so I'm glad they're getting some attention, but man this seems like the kind of thing Sega (or the team it's being shipped off to) would screw up. However let it be known that I'm still glad that this is happening and I'm not complaining about that, I just really wonder about the execution for this kind of thing and how that's going to work. On the other hand, I freaking ADORE this franchise and everything it stands for - and it's probably Sega's only franchise where you can really say there are no bad games in it (I haven't played Yakuza yet so don't massacre me for not knowing about that one).

You may think "well it's a rail shooter, how badly could they fuck it up?", go look at Sega's work on Thunder Force VI :colbert:

(Also game design for the linear, arcadey type of games is more about refinement of really tiny, meticulous details more than big and gigantic design philosophies which is of course what is totally ripe for being screwed up here, so you know, no pressure :v: )

On the other hand, M2 have said they have Saturn emulation down pat so even if this is a fuckup, we'll eventually get our Sega AGES Panzer Dragoon games on Switch/Steam at some point. That's at least worth looking forward to.

7. Jason

Jason

http://youtu.be/yjCivsV8qwU
    Panzer Dragoon 1 Remake is out this winter.

They did the smart thing and didn't touch the music.

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Looks like a 10 year old game to me...

9. Jason

Jason

I mean it's the Switch version. It's on par with 13-year-old consoles.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It looks very early in development - I think the publisher just got excited, wanting to show something before there was anything meaningful to show.

An odd choice to only target the Switch though. "We've remade this Sega Saturn game... for hardware that could be two generations behind within a year".

11. Jason

Jason

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh shit I forgot about this. I may have to try this down the line, I never experienced it on the Saturn.

So I'm kinda dumb with this game. What is it like Star Fox?

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Star Fox but you can aim at a 360° range.

I want this game, but I'll be waiting on the Limited Run.

14. Worth noting that all the footage in the Nintendo Direct was the game running on PC, not Switch. The Switch version is locked to 30fps.

I'm waitin' on the PC release.

15. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I was looking for something to do this weekend. So yeah, just what I needed!

16. Hukos

Hukos

It's similar in style but it feels pretty different. Panzer Dragoon really wants you to be using lock-on to deal with multiple enemies at once and then use your normal fire to counteract projectiles that come at you. You can also rotate the camera 360 degrees, which is important because enemies come from all angles. If you ignore anything, you're going to die pretty quickly.

It looks similar on the surface, but playing Panzer Dragoon like it's Star Fox is a bad idea (and the reverse is true too!). Also keep in mind, the Saturn originals were not easy games. They're fairly difficult. I don't know if the new version has cut down on the difficulty or not. Above all else, enjoy the ride! Panzer Dragoon is extremely cinematic/atmospheric while also never really taking the control out of your hands. It's a weird combination, but it works. Also, enjoy the music, it's pretty great.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I do wonder, if the games sell well enough, they'll remake Panzer Dragoon Saga. I'd like to have the trilogy on my shelves next to the original trilogy (and Orta).

18. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I think it's great that this series evolved into an RPG and would absolutely love to play it someday. I enjoyed Remake a lot. It's a good thing you can customize the controls a bit, but other than that it looks very pretty and sounds, of course, great. But most of all it lives through its unique (if somewhat bony) setting which reminded me a lot of early Studio Ghibli films (Nausicaa, to be precise. Great movie, go watch it). I'm not sure about that pricing though for it's not the meatiest game by far. But I'll keep playing this for a while, it's a blast from the past.

This game made me google bone carvings. We're definitely living in strange times.