don't click here

Sonic Month 2019: Sonic 3

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Turbohog

Turbohog

Some of the PC collection music in this confuses me.:psyduck:

2. Xilla

Xilla

Looks alot like the build SEGA Magazine UK had access to for their Sonic mini mag given away with Issue 1

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I was praying for this build to surface for 15 fucking years. Finally!

Wonder if Flying Battery is playable...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Jetstar

Jetstar

I wonder why drop dash was removed from the final?

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The Drop Dash =O

Makes you wonder what else Tax and Stealth took from unused concepts and we didn't know.

Edit:
    They probably scrapped it in favor of the Insta Shield.

6. Turbohog

Turbohog

7. Biggest plot twist of the community.

8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Nearly lost it at seeing the drop dash. Holy fucking shit. Amazing how it was kept a secret for so long.

9. Turbohog

Turbohog

So did Izuka remember the drop dash and suggest it? Or did team Mania get to see this prototype? Or is it all a coincidence?

10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    So, PC music, eh? That makes me suspect the rest of the PC "exclusive" tracks may have been in the MD version at some point. We'll see.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    It's obvious they were made before the Michael Jackson tracks were made. So why weren't THEY just used for a Taxman/Stealth remaster instead?

Did SEGA forget they were in game at some point before Sonic & Knuckles Collection? Or are there far worse issues with releasing Sonic 3 again beyond the MJ tracks?

12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Wow, there were quite a few magazines that got to play prototypes of Sonic 3 and not one of them mentioned the drop dash.

Sega were really good at keeping secrets when it came to Sonic 3. There was that whole different version made with the SVP chip and not even a single screenshot ever made it out.

Good work drx getting this and other prototypes. I bet this Sonic 3 one will have lots of interesting findings buried in the code!

13. Pengi

Pengi

Looks like Flicky and Ricky are the two animals in each Zone. Ricky doesn't appear in the final version of Sonic 3 at all (but it does appear in Sonic & Knuckles).

Is Ricky's sprite still in the data of the final game? The Wiki doesn't say anything about it.

14. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    I would've never guessed that the drop dash was an unused Sonic 3 concept. It doesn't look like the whistle is in this build, sadly.

So the PC music is possibly the original? Interesting.

EDIT: Possibly? More like confirmed now! Carnival Night sounds nice!

15. Turbohog

Turbohog

I guess I wasn't really that confused - more surprised than anything. Just another addition to the strangeness of Sonic 3 and its music. It does seem clear now that these are in fact the original songs before they brought Michael Jackson and his team on board.

So by my track, that's Knuckles' theme and Carnival Night so far. Genesis versions sound better than PC versions. I'm guessing all levels with PC differences will have the PC songs (or rather, the Sonic 3 beta songs).

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So, now we have a Sonic 3 build with no licensed music at all.

SEGA could (should) really use this.

17. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Carnival Night music is the PC version! HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The PC version music wasn't made up after all. It WAS the music prior to the MJ songs.

Un-fucking-believable

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Xilla

Xilla

Until Carnival Night Zone anyway ;)

20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    They have no excuses now. Get Taxman to do it so we can finally have that long awaited remastered port.