don't click here

Sonic Adventure Music Experience UK - 8th Dec 2019

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sir_mihael, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Well I've got my tickets. What is the usual deal for barcade shenanigans? I'm driving down from Sunderland-ish, and stopping at a pals about 30 minutes of train outside of London, so I imagine I'll be in the capital around noonish?
    Where tends to be the meetup?

2. Apslup

Apslup

Feelin' Fine. Member
    This looks so cool! I probably won't be able to come though which is a shame. If they do another one of these with Sonic Adventure 2 music I would be there no matter what. I'd love to hear a live version of SA2's "It Doesn't Matter".

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
  4. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ah, dammit - hadn't had the chance to look into this properly and now it turns out I've missed the boat. Kicking myself for not making time to take a look sooner - didn't realise the funding window was so short! = (

5. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I hope it's not too soon to talk about december, but is there any ticket news or do we have any idea of what the setlist is or will be? I'd love to hear them perform some songs from SA2's Tails stages.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Nothing's been announced, it'll be on the Kickstarter when they're ready.

7. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I'm going to go there too! It will be my first time at London ( also at UK in general ) so I'm pretty excited. Can anyone recommend me any good Retrogames shops or arcades to visit?

Also, I know there is a no politics rule but I'm a bit scared about brexit. Does anyone know if european tourists will still be able to travel to UK using a personal identification or we need a passport/visa? All the info I've found online is confusing and conflicting, from when brexit was suppoased to take place in february/march.

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I know there was an SA Music Experience in Japan just recently that Adam went to. We're both seeing Johnny Gioeli's band (Hardline) on Friday so I might ask him what other tracks were played, other than the ones we know from the Music Experience CD.

I think that might still be all up in the air, but best to keep an eye on the official government sites, or ask any local travel agents, they've probably been given a bit of a heads' up on what to advise to tourists around this sort of time. Hopefully it goes well for you as there's a lot to do and see. As mentioned above, some of the Retro people will be meeting up on the day so you'd be in good gaming company there!

9. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    You need a passport now to visit the UK - despite being in the EU we're not in Schengen, so if you're any nationality other than Irish you need a passport to enter the UK. This has been the case even pre-referendum, I dunno where you got the idea about being able to enter the UK just with an ID card as an EU national from.

I doubt very much you'll need to get a visa given even the more-restrictive-than-most USA has visa wavers (albiet one you have to pay for), you should be fine with just a passport, but maybe potentially paying for a waver dependent on what happens in the next month or so. But you will definitely need a passport.

10. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    uh? But my aunt went to London two months ago only with her ID card, no passport? I'll go talk to the UK embassy in Spain, as it is pretty near my house, and ask there about the brexit issues. Thanks for the answer!

About the retro stuff, here in Madrid is a few streets full of comics, retrogames and geek stuff shops. Is there something similar in London?

11. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Huh. Turns out I'm wrong, TIL: https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk

I did not know this! I thought this only applied for the common travel area. That said, I could easily see the ID card bit being dropped in the event of no deal, this seems to be exactly the sort of EU arrangement that some would want to get shot of as soon as possible...

As for your other question: not a street as such, but there's a couple of arcades, Orbital Comics and Forbidden Planet dotted around central London that are worth checking out (and we usually hit them up during Barcades =P)

12. Ryla

Ryla

I'm headed here too, actually. Made a thread on SSRG but not many there seemed interested.
    It'd be nice if anyone's free to meet up - I'm travelling to London myself, and I'm not used to it since I don't tend to travel.
    Obviously none of you know me, but hey I don't really want to be alone most of the trip.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Note for those travelling internationally - thanks to Brexit getting kicked down the road a bit more with the General Election on the 12th of December happening first, it's safe to assume all UK travel arrangements on the day of SAME-UK will be exactly as they currently are.

14. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    On one level I want to go to this because I live 50 mins away from the venue. On another, I fear it's going to be really cringey with really OTT Sonic fans.

To anyone who's gone to one of these events before, what's it like on that front?

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    There will certainly be SOME people like that, but are few and far between.

Anywho, stick with your fellow Retro forums, get drunk, get sober on ice cream, and have fun.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    What Jax said =P

Though if you've not already backed it, you won't be getting in regardless as all the tickets are gone.

17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I got my passport today. Nothing can go wrong anymore. I can't promise I'll attend barcade, though. It is, after all, my first solo trip abroad.

18. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    See how you feel closer to the time. We're generally quite the friendly bunch, always welcoming newcomers. If nothing else, attending Barcade will give you a mini-tour of Central London. If that's not something to put on a holiday checklist for those that don't live in the UK, I don't know what is.

19. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I will, thank you! But be warned, I'm a pain in the &%$ sometimes.

20. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Aren't we all?