don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Gammatron

Gammatron

Well, Ian Flynn and Tracy Yardley are going to be at a local con in a month or two, so I can always ask them if they have any updates and they can just shrug their shoulders again.

I should get a copy of Sonic Genesis for them to sign. The only Archie Sonic stuff I have physical copies of is pre-Ian Flynn.

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Aaron/Sergio just said on the Sonic stream that there will be news this week.

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    San Diego Comic-Con is this week, so probably there.

4. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    Fingers crossed. I hope that it IS just a hiatus, I'm finding myself really wanting to see Ian's own take on the Hardboiled Heavies if a Mania adaptation ever comes around. They each seem to have their own personality from what I've seen of their designs.

5. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I feel like the run of classic sonic stories has been leading up to a Sonic Mania adaptation of some kind. I really hope they get to at the very least release the issues that were finished and ready and find a nice way to wrap it up if they must.

6. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    If Archie does pick it up again, they seem to have lost a lot of traction with the stint of no releases.

If Archie passes, I could see BOOM! comics being interested. They seem to have made themselves a tidy comics company dedicated to licenses like Adventure Time and Steven Universe, and more recently Power Rangers. IDW does a lot of that too. Sonic is Archie's only non-Archie comic as far as I can tell.

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Sergio's delivery and Aaron's quick covering of it on the stream implies to me that Archie lost the license. But they wouldn't bother announcing a cancellation and nothing else at SDCC so my guess is that the new publisher is going to announce that they've aquired the license from Sega.

IDW is still the best bet because Flynn.

8. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
  9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Hopefully now they can find a better home for the future of Sonic comics, whatever that future may be.

10. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I'm just glad we got a solid answer, finally. But I hope there are good developments in the future for Sonic comics.

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    "Different direction" implying when they pick up comics again, it will not continue the Archie storyline. Also makes no mention of what will become of what was in the pipeline already. Overdrive 3, I mourn thee.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I remember I was in the second grade when I picked up issue [strike]1[/strike] 5 at a walgreens. I can remember taking it to school with me and my friends crowded around during recess and we read it together.

I'm 32 years old now.

Didn't ultimately follow the comics all that much (comics in general weren't my style, and I didn't really like SatAM) but it's hard to believe something that's been around for most of my life just up an ended like this. RIP.

EDIT: Actually, just went into my closet, issue 1 wasn't from walgreens, it was issue 5. I got issue 1 inside the Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2 official strategy guide from Sega:

[​IMG]

Funnily enough, that "cover art" page is slightly different from the actual, premiere issue:

[​IMG]

13. So sad but Penders already ensured the comic was gutted beyond recognition. Thanks, you talentless asshole.

I will be interested to see the new incarnation. Will it be closely tied to games, old and new? An original take like Archie started off with?

14. Pengi

Pengi

Closer to the games would be my guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a "Classic Sonic" series as a secondary title, similar to Mega Drive. Titan Comics did a similar thing with Doctor Who, where they'd publish a "Tenth Doctor" and "Eleventh Doctor" series simultaneously.

15. Zeether

Zeether

I hope IDW's getting it. We'd have Ian and Tyson on lock then and I'm pretty sure they'd do better at it even with another reboot happening. Sucks though if Overdrive 3 can't get published.

Edit: Ian's got more to say close to the weekend, hopefully it's good news and not "Sega booted me off so I can't do Sonic anymore sorry guys"

16. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Hopefully SEGA will allow Archie to publish what's left and give it a proper ending. I haven't been keeping up with the series but it's still sad to see another part of my childhood end. :(

Also, #FuckYouKenPenders

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's a bit bittersweet. It's dead, but thanks to all the legal nonsense it's been dead in a sense for a while (again though, hats off to Ian for trying, sorry for having to waste all that time world building for nothing). But now it can rise again without all this Genesis Wave soft reboot combined worlds nonsense.

But what will happen to the SatAM cast? Will they be kicked to the curb now? And what of the rest of the Sonic show lore? Will Scratch, Grounder, or Breezie ever be seen again? A lot of questions, but at least this will give the comic a chance for a much needed fresh start. No hold overs, no legal suits, no Penders, none of it.

That being said if this is the end of the SatAM cast, well good bye Snively, I'll miss you for some reason.

18. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    RIP in piss.

Now lets see who touches the license and what they're going to do with it. I hope at the very least we get the conclusion to Megadrive somehow.

19. Linkabel

Linkabel

As much as this might piss off a lot of people, the SatAM cast should end with this. They just have a lot of unnecessary baggage and it wouldn't feel like a fresh start if they also get added to a potential new comic.

20. Tylinos

Tylinos

Just a reminder for any subscribers who want to ask for a refund, Archie's subscription contact address is [email protected]