don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I disagree with this. I don't think the slower and methodical music fits Act 2 at all, and the fact that it's "heavily remixed" is kinda my point - no other zone has music that varies so drastically between Acts. Every other zone maintains roughly the same tempo across both acts, and half of the zones basically just cut channels out and leave it at that.

Instead, the heavy remixing suggests to me that it wasn't meant to be used as an Act 2 but instead as a transition zone; the music is reminiscent of the unused music in Sonic 2 that was allegedly meant for a cutscene, and unfitting for typical Sonic gameplay. Given the complete lack of enemies in Hidden Palace (barring spikes, Knuckles, and Eggman), it's no stretch to say Hidden Palace exists for story purposes and not for gameplay purposes, and is almost void of any real gameplay, which would make cutscene music more appropriate.

The music also starts with three beats to a bar; only three other tracks in the Mega Drive series are in triple time - Sonic 1's Special Stage theme (featuring non-traditional gameplay), Sonic 2's Death Egg (basically unused given you only hear four seconds of it when playing the game, and otherwise you're standing still), and... Sonic 2's unused track.

If either track were to be changed, I'd argue for changing Lava Reef 2 instead, to make it more in line with Act 1.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Want America to keep on moving ahead? Well sign this petition that exists to have Obama change the US national anthem to "Escape from the City"

https://www.change.org/p/barack-obama-change-our-national-anthem-to-sonic-adventure-2-s-city-escape

This almost has 10,000 signatures...

3. JK FlipFlop

JK FlipFlop

Chester, PA
    Retrobeast, an album of SEGA Genesis music.
    Maybe someone will do this in a future hack. I'll gladly make a rearrangement in midi if you wish.

4. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Not sure if this is well known or not, but I whacked in Sonic 3 and Knuckles into my Mega Drive earlier and they must have not been connected quite right as the game was all glitched and not long after the sega logo booted up the No Way! screen. First time I've ever seen that, it gave me a good laugh and a bit of a shock, I took a quick and dirty video of it https://twitter.com/theGagaman/status/771297260571332608

5. JK FlipFlop

JK FlipFlop

Chester, PA
    That's not really anything special. That seems to be little more than putting the cartridge in half-assedly. I've done this with Super Mario 64, where I started it up, there was no picture (I got the snow show instead) and I heard the coin sound and "It's a-me, Mario!" play at half speed. That's also nothing special.
    What is something special is that Super Smash Bros. (on N64) glitched on me. It froze (mid-fight) and started playing that theme from Super Mario Bros. 3 where you're picking one of the treasure chests. That was weird, considering it's never used in the game.

6. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Ah I figured as much, thought I'd share just in case heh.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You sure of this one?

8. JK FlipFlop

JK FlipFlop

Chester, PA
    Yeah. The sound was all fucked up when it happened. Little bit of white noise behind it and what not.

9. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FJunSenoue82%2Fposts%2F1010544285709395&width=500"
    https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fakiko.ashigaya.69%2Fposts%2F1013800608743178&width=500"

Jun's Sonic and Shadow guitars (the ones he used during the 25th anniversary party) are on display at the ESP guitar museum in Japan until the 11th. I've always thought the Sonic guitar he used to use was the absolute coolest thing, and these two are no exception.

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Very belated response (I only just recently managed to get into my account for the wiki), but I'd just like to know if there is any particular way you want me to implement the sales data.

One idea I had was to use a template (preferably based on the ratings template), with the columns comprising of the sales results, and the IR reports they are based on, with the cumulative sales total marking the header (a la the reviewer aggregate score used for the ratings template). Alternatively, they could be added without a template, but with a dedicated "Reception" section added to each page per game.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    A table with numbers and references I guess - we'll make it pretty at a later date.

12. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Ah, alright then. (I actually went back to revise my post, but you can elect to ignore it.)

13. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

How the hell did I never notice the Sonic cameo on the cover of Pepenga Pengo before?
    http://videogamesdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/150090077175/sonic-and-pengo-probably-live-in-the-same

14. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I don't see a thread for answering generic Sonic-related questions, and I figured this would be the most appropriate thread to ask them.

1. Was Blaze the Cat originally intended to debut in Sonic 06, similar to Cream the Rabbit being designed for Sonic Heroes? I mean, 06 was well into development before Sonic Rush came out so it seems rather curious that Blaze has completely different backstories between Rush and 06, and it makes you wonder which one came first.

2. Has any official SEGA or Sonic Team employee cleared up the contradictions in Blaze the Cat's two different backstories?

3. When was Metal Sonic redesigned? His current design has his legs connected to a sort of "abdomen", but he lacks that "abdomen" in his Sonic Adventure cameo, as well as the final cutscene of Sonic Heroes, despite those two games being "modern" games. And then Sonic Generations introduced a weird "classic Metal Sonic" design that looks neither like modern Metal Sonic nor Adventure/Heroes "no abdomen" Metal Sonic.

4. Why did Unleashed and Colors reuse Eggman's theme from 06? You'd think they'd want everyone to completely forget about that game, yet his theme carried over to the completely tonally different games Unleashed and Colors.

5. Any reason why they seemingly stopped using the Uekawa art for the characters when represented in media?

6. Were any of the Dimps employees that worked on Sonic Advance 1 still with Dimps when they did Sonic 4?

15. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Because, while the game was universally hated, the soundtrack was universally beloved. I think people are intelligent enough to separate music from the game it originated in.

16. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Starting with SA2 his eyes were changed slightly, but everything else looked the same as before. From what I can tell, this design lasted up until Sonic Rivals. [​IMG]

The first game to use his modern redesign was Rivals 2.

17. JK FlipFlop

JK FlipFlop

Chester, PA
    I wonder if anyone knows what COPE means in Sonic 1's Springyard Zone. I've never seen an answer to this question.

18. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Iizuka mentioned at the first Sonic Boom convention that Blaze comes from another dimension, whereas Silver and Eggman Nega come from the future. (It was in answer to a question I sent in)
    In Sonic Colours, Tails says that Blaze and Silver look like they might have been friends in another time (which is a nod to 2006). In Sonic Runners, it's mentioned that Silver split from Blaze.

So I think Sonic 2006 takes place first with Blaze and Silver in the future. Blaze then ends up in another dimension (which is why we don't see her in the 2006 final story).
    In the other dimension, she loses her memories (like everyone else in 2006) and battles Eggman Nega in the two Rush games.
    Eggman Nega then somehow travels to the future, where he becomes Silver's enemy (giving us the two Rivals games).
    Silver and Blaze then don't meet up until Sonic Colours (and they must develop a friendship as we see them together in Sonic Runners).

19. Sonic Rush was released on the same day as Shadow the Hedgehog, so I'm pretty sure that Blaze was supposed to debut in Sonic Rush from the start. It's also worth noting that both the official website and the script say that "Blaze is a queen from another dimension who protects and controls Sol Emeralds - a role similar to that of Sonic and Knuckles combined". It's possible that there would have been an explanation as to how Blaze ended up in the future at some point, seeing as both profiles of her use her Sonic Rush backstory.

I took a look at the credits for Sonic Advance 1 and Sonic 4 Episode 1, and I can see quite a few people from Dimps who worked on both games.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    The weird "classic metal sonic" is just that; it's a 3D version of his debut look in CD.