don't click here

SEGA admits that they've been fucking up for the past decade

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 7, 2015.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Okay, that makes a LOT more sense. That it's a new guy coming in and basically having to clean up the mess the last one left behind? Every comment he made seems much more sensible. Of course, the fact that we could all easily believe his grandfather made those comments after 10 years of bumbling around speaks volumes, so this man's work is cut out for him.

Definitely wishing him the best, and will still be in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

Actually...how much does this affect anything?

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Taxman said this on GAF:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172455407&postcount=62

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sounds like now's the best time for Sonic 3 :specialed:

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Double post for a new statement:

http://www.destructoid.com/sega-knows-it-betrayed-fans-admits-atlus-taught-it-how-to-be-better-295533.phtml

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I genuinely hope they're serious about it this time, I'd like to see that become a reality very much.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Good to know that he at least knows what people are saying about them online. Also, him trying to be more open like this is already a step forward.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The fact he's responded kind of gives me hope that these aren't just empty promises. The fact that's is SEGA still had me doubting it. SEGA's repeatedly burnt me and made promises they don't deliver on.

Again, the proof will be in the pudding.

8. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    That seems like a terrible place to put proof, someone could choke on it!

In all seriousness, I think they're probably going to deliver. Releasing a big, significant statement like that and NOT delivering on it would be PR suicide.

9. ErictheSquirrel

ErictheSquirrel

Kiba Member
    College, making YouTube videos
    Can only hope SEGA pulls through with their promise. You want to go the extra step to please fans SEGA? Show us, that's all we ask.

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I'm having similar thoughts. It also helps a bit that he doesn't seem to be affiliated with the old guard at the main Sega HQ, IIRC he was in charge of Sega Networks before taking the CEO position.

11. ryouga

ryouga

I didnt dislike modern Sonic games but they are more and more buggy per game, I thought the camera deaths on SA1 and 2 were bad but rest of game amazing, 06 I enjoyed but would have loved if it didnt have the glitches, I hear even Boom is reasonable with all the patches even 4 was ok but not on level with classics all I feel is its been rushed deadlines and gimmicky games

Hope they will improve but PSO2 is probably impossible at this point.

12. StarProdigy X

StarProdigy X

It is good to see that Sega is coming to their senses here. Hopefully, they will follow through with what they say and make better games from here on.

13. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Guys, it's Sega. Wait one more month and they will change their mind about this and go to opposite direction.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I get that Sega can be shitty, but let's not make up shit about what they'd do. Especially considering a new CEO of who we haven't heard much said this.

15. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Well, yeah, jokes apart I really hope that he can lead Sega to a better future (and maybe to old day's glory). Mostly because I want the best for the company that gave me hours and hours of joy in my childhood. EDIT: and their old games it still do and will do it forever.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Now SEGA America joins in the fun with "Yes we know Sonic games are bad", somewhat repeating what the Sega Games CEO said regarding releasing things.
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/30/9640190/sonic-the-hedgehog-sega-coo-quality-sonic-boom

Basically: to regain trust they're ditching Sonic as an annual franchise, and instead they're going to let the developers take the time they need to properly finish the games.

Also, in case you want to know about the current state of SEGA, Nirolak on NeoGAF made a great summary/breakdown about it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182904675&postcount=360

17. Well, this is going to be very interesting indeed.

18. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Read this last night as well. It's a pretty amazing breakdown of Sega over the last generation or so with some enlightening insights on the new Sega games CEO and his new strategy for the company. NeoGAF can be an amazing place sometimes. The most important part of Nirolak's breakdown is this:

Rushing games out has been a massive problem for Sonic Team since as far back as the Genesis days with Sonic 3. It resulted in a catastrophically terrible game with Sonic 06 which was rushed and unfinished. Same with Sonic Adventure which was rushed for the launch of the Dreamcast. Same with Billy Hatcher for the GameCube to which the entire last segment of the game was unfinished. I remember reviews at the time stating "Seriously Sonic Team you've got a problem now rushing your games out". It has basically been Sonic Team's achilles heel for decades now. This new strategy is effectively the perfect antidote for this. I'm not entirely certain whether this will effect Sonic Team's new Sonic game for the anniversary though presumably given we're almost a year in to the new strategy it should (even if the delay it just 6 months or something like that). It's just extremely promising and bodes well for Sonic's future moving forward as well as of course for the rest of the games that Sega creates.

Sounds like Sega of America are just echoing and mirroring the new strategy that's coming from Japan.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Anyone who goes on the record saying "we're making a game for gamers" needs to be shot.

Disregarding the fact that "gamers" is such a backwards term (assuming we're not going to start using phrases like "moviewatchers" and "bookreaders" - the whole "these are common forms of entertainment so we don't have to segregate their users, I.e. everyone watches movies and reads books but apparently not everyone plays video games because lol" thing), Sonic the Hedgehog was never built for some narrow audience that was already into the medium, it was aimed at everybody because aiming at everybody is a really good thing to do.

Drop this wall of marketing and we might get on.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Okay, so SEGA are really talking the talk now. The fact that it's been said so many times is piquing my curiosity. But I'm still not trusting them until we see the goods. And of course if they're being serious and honest, I definitely do not mind waiting.