don't click here

Emulation of the original Xbox.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by MarzSyndrome, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    And Metal Wolf Chaos. I bought and modded an OG Xbox just to play that game a few years ago.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    The former is also available on PS2, and the latter is not only on PS2, but also GameCube, and also modern systems as pretty decent HD remasters. Also, the GC version is best because it has Link.

3. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    I hear and agree with you and already have the 3 Fatal Frame games on the PS2, but the OG Xbox version of Fatal Frame 2 was the Directors Cut (with the added first person mode and more). And I prefer to play as Spawn over Link and Heihachi, so it was a must for me on my list.

4. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    JSRF and Quantum Redshift. The reasons why Xbox emulation needs to be a thing.

5. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    No Steel Battalion? Really? How could you guys forget about best Mech Simulator ever made?

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It's only "good" because of the controller. I'd rather use that controller with Mechwarrior.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I've heard nothing but good things about GunValkyrie.

8. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    There's a bunch of racing games on the original XBox that I remember enjoying when I was younger - Sega GT, Project Gotham, Midnight Club 3, Carve, R: Racing Evolution, etc. Granted, some of them are more than likely available on other systems, so I guess it's not too big of a loss.

9. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Another reason for lack of urgency to emulate the thing is that it is still very commonly found on the thrift market. It is like the PS1 where it has become hard to give the bulky, heavy system away. The system itself can also be modded and play burned games flawlessly, so just doing that gives you a higher success rate at getting games to work than emulation via a PC does.

The main reason emulating it would be cool (if it could be done at full speed with no glitches) would be the choice of using any USB controller desired and the possibility of savestates. Other than that I would prefer just using a modded original system.

10. winterhell

winterhell

The xbox might as well be the hardest console to emulate out of the 128-bit ones. Having the least popular/numerous exclusive games doesn't help either.

11. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    ahem...

12. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Isn't there supposed to be a NUON emulator available somewhere?

13. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    There was - Nuance - but I don't think it was ever finished, because the guy working on it died tragically.

Or maybe it's been worked on since then, I dunno.

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Do you mean that Dolphin emulator developer that just died recently? or someone else?

15. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
  16. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I wasn't aware the Pentium III was a 128-bit CPU. Did I miss the memo?

17. winterhell

winterhell

You know very well what I'm talking about. People take one of the bus widths in the console instead of the address space or even the native integer/float of the CPU and plaster it on the box. I know its wrong.
    If we are looking at the address space there are no 128-bit CPUs out there.

18. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    As I recall, only the PAL releases were not supported, most of the NTSC library is supported on the latest updates - mostly bug free. Wikipedia has a compatibility list.

Still, considering how powerful that machine was, it is nothing short of a miracle for the X360 to be capable of emulating it so well. The x86 alone is a horrible devil to emulate, for one.

Fun fact: it was so difficult that half the Xbox team were asking the developers about where will they go once they realize their futility and get canned, and when they actually got the emulator working, the team members got the official job title "EMULATION NINJA" from Bill Gates himself:
    http://michaelbrundage.com/project/xbox-360-emulator/

19. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    So if I get a 360, I pretty much won't need an original XBOX? :specialed: That's a long ways from where it used to be years ago, I didn't think Microsoft cared enough to fund it. Even better with the "EMULATION NINJA" title.

20. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    That's not true. Not even half of the system's library is playable on Xbox 360. The article was just talking about how they got the short list of emulated games working when they did. Unless the 360 gets homebrew emulators made for all of the individual unsupported games, it's only going to be what it already was. You're better off keeping a modded original Xbox with a component video cable. I found a nice component Monster cable for Xbox at Goodwill for $4.