don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sold more than Bayonetta 2 though, which just makes me sad because Bayonetta 2 is one of the best games released this year and deserves better.

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    A niche game on a niche-ier console... I'm pretty sure Platinum and Sega must have known it would be doomed from the start. I guess the money Nintendo forked over for exclusivity must have been worth it.

That list says less about Sonic Boom and more about the fact that WiiU has so little software that stuff like this actually makes it on the list :P

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It makes me sad knowing that Sonic Boom is even on the list. Sadder that it beat Bayonetta 2. Niche or not this game is awful.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

You're looking at platform specific charts here though, and Bayo2 was released a fair while before Boom. For context, Bayo2 debuted at #7 in the all platforms chart, while Boom has yet to make in into the top 40 at all. So even if Bayo2 is performing poorly now, it had a much better launch than Boom and as far as like-for-like sales can be taken with Boom not have been out for long, Bayo2 probably performed better in that same time frame.

Plus, Sonic is Sonic. Mass appeal, 23 year history, always sells. Look at how it's doing here. It's a massive blow for SEGA, as Sonic is their no.1 cash cow that they've always been able to count on in the past. For it to be just one position away from a niche game like Bayo2 on it's exclusive platform specific chart and to be doing worse than a version of FIFA that's two whole years out of date is pretty damn shocking. Meanwhile Bayo2 wouldn't have had the highest of sales expectations to begin with.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The thing with Bayonetta 2 is that while it's a niche game, it's also one of the most well critically received games of the year. It's also selling a lot worse than the first game, which is also included with the second game. These sales are also from Black Friday week, and correct me if I'm wrong but games released earlier this year should sell better than usual during this period.

6. Raia

Raia

Try to construct a Keio Saturn > PSX converter and mod a Sega Saturn Arcade stick
    It's kind of sad, no matter how you look at it...though was Bayo 2 even on sale during Black Friday? I know there were buy 1 get one at x% off at some retailers and RoL was like at $40 at Best Buy(slightly less if you had Gamers Club).

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5jdGfzut34

The eShop demo has a better framerate than the full game.

8. Lambda

Lambda

Bayo 1 and 2 are rated M, right?
    If so, there's your problem. People who want to play rated M games are going to own a XBOne, PS4, or gaming PC. Nintendo totally missed the boat on that market, an essentially branded the WiiU as a kiddie console.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo, but their marketing is horrible if they are hoping to move games like Bayonetta.

9. It's also possible the Japanese version is tuned up compared to what we got. The sweeping negative response could prompt something like that.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    If that was the case than that would probably have been released as a patch for the US/European version.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Actually people are saying that this is the E3 demo. so that could be a reason why the framerates are different.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's not the E3 demo. The HUD at E3 was different for a start, featuring 2D art of the characters instead of their final renders. Plus the Amy/Sonic stage here plays out like in the final game and other demos. The E3 demo started with a pre-rendered scene that takes place in the Bygone Island hub with all the characters, and then without loading went into an in-game cutscene at the start of the level with Sonic and Amy coming down on an elevator. In the final game, you get the Bygone Island cutscene, then a loading screen, then the ingame cutscene with Sonic and Amy. The first cutscene only plays when it's your first time entering the stage, because it's before the stage loads.

It's a later build than E3.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It could be an old fashioned case of having fewer assets to load therefore less... bloat... or something. Something seriously wrong with the programming if that's the case, but no worse than randomly falling through floors.

14. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

[​IMG]

The rings doesn't look like that in the final game, do they? They're actually more golden and with a roundness to them, right? These look very weird and placeholder-ish.

Edit: Should add that I noticed this thanks to Clebersonic pointing it out on The Sonic Stadium, but his comparison shot seemed more like a lighting difference between this and the final game so I grabbed a better screenshot.

15. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    It wouldn't surprise me if the rings were made to look less round. They're so common that each polygon you take out could be 20 or 30 from the final scene.

16. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

That could explain the framerate improvement I suppose? I'm going to assume that's demo only to lower the filesize then. I wonder if we can find anything else that's been downgraded (or not finalized) in the demo.

17. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    For the half assed quickstep segments you're always on the move so chances are you aren't going to notice some missing polys as much when flying by. The game's performance suffers the most in these parts because the framerate and camera decide to clock out so this might have been a way to band-aid it a little bit.

18. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

Yeah, I looked over the demo sections that isn't the auto-running speed stuff and the rings look far better. Is it like that in the final game too then?

19. Sploit

Sploit

What was the other pre-order DLC offer that was available in some places?

I got the Luminous Costumes code, but was sure I saw a promotion with some other kind of DLC...

20. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

I have the demo in my hands right now and I can confirm that the Knuckles inf-jump is doable in it at least. For anyone who was wondering if it was patched.

Edit:
    I entered the Eggman fight and used Knuckles to jump to the portion of the level before the boss is encountered. Only a small portion of it is loaded though, this is as far as we can seemingly go unless there's invisible geometry somewhere.
    [​IMG]