don't click here

SEGA Posts $18.5 Million Loss, Restructuring to Focus on Online G

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Agobue, Nov 2, 2014.

1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I am curious if that means they are going to develop an interest in doing some PSO2 localization.

2. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    All I hope is this doesn't negatively affect Atlus =T

Like... They need money so they liquidate them and all the IP's

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You don't honestly think SEGA will do anything to Creative Assembly/Relic/Atlus do you? Plus SEGA leaves them to their own devices.

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I just checked SEGA's website. Not been on there since about 2010. My god, what the hell happened?

They have like 6 products :colbert:/>

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Also, they just got Relic and Atlus last year. I doubt that they'd do anything drastic to them this soon after buying those companies.

6. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    SEGA was the most ambitious and daring game developer.

That's how it became significant. That's how it destroyed itself.

15 years ago, you couldn't stop them from flooding the world with Samba De Amigo Maracas and Fishing Rod accessories.

Now, they're too cautious or indifferent to digitally distribute PSO 2 outside of Asia (even AFTER it's already been localized)

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Not quite. Sega destroyed itself by enforcing Japanese sensibilities into territories where they didn't work. Sega was on top of the world in the US and the UK in the early 90's, but for some reason, be it wounded pride or jealousy, Sega of Japan chose to tighten the vice on their US and UK branches and force them to abandon the approaches that were proven successes and replace it with an approaches that didn't even work in their own country.

Sega was brought down by oblivious leaders who never understood why they were succeeding in the first place. And that exact same mentality continues to act like an anchor around the feet of the company. Instead of letting each territory take advantage of their own cultural marketing strengths, they remain tight-fisted and close-minded. Sega needs to fall apart and those individuals finally pulled from power if the Sega IPs will ever have the opportunity to truly flourish.

8. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    All truth, yet my point stands.

SEGA's ambition was what lead to it becoming an industry leader. That ambition gave us the likes of Hang-On, Outrun, Sonic, Virtua Fighter, co-ops with Lockheed Martin for Arcade hardware...

SEGA's ambition was what lead to it's downfall. They spent a lot of money, time, and effort pioneering technology that their competitors had the privilege to observe and imitate. Virtua Fighter's innovation led a strong hand in inspiring the hardware of the PS1 and ultimately the console brand that forced SEGA out of the console business. Shenmue's budget is a fine example of going all out. The regional divisions could barely communicate with each other, but they could make different consoles at the same time! Now that's ambition!

I'm glad it all happened the way it did. If all the regional divisions actually worked together in the 90s... We could have had a Sega Saturn with disc-based N64 hardware. Then we may not have had all the 2D gems and games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, or games like GoldenEye, Smash Bros, and Conker. Maybe they would have all come out anyway, but in radically different forms.

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    If you consider how much money SEGA has, $18.5m really ain't shit.

That's an ad campaign, one fifth of Shenmue, or the rights for an indie title.

10. Machenstein

Machenstein

If that's the case, maybe Sega should focus on smaller arcade-like titles. It's what they're best at. Of course, that would mean revisiting their old IPs without caving into the temptation of adding too much to their formulas.

11. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    This is the possibly the best discription of Sega I have ever read.......makes me sad but its so true!

12. IndyTheGreat

IndyTheGreat

Fixed Water (SADX PC)
    Who knows, maybe Nintendo will acquire Sega if they go far enough into the shitter. Then again, they haven't done anything with Capcom yet and that should be an obvious acquisition for them.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Isn't this not including the shitloads of pachinko money their holding company has?

Sega's not going anywhere. They need something legit to soften the appearance of their pachinko division, just like Kraft and Marlboro.

Nintendo is not going to acquire them. They don't have the money to make it worth it.

I can't believe people are even suggesting that

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Yea, talk of a Nintendo acquisition of Sega is silly. But I think both companies could benefit from some kind of merger. Not in the BandaiNamco sense of the word but...a partnership.

15. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    By this point I'm starting to think that's part and parcel of the problem. The Sammy half of SegaSammy Corp. makes so much money for the corporation as a whole they probably have a devil-may-care attitude about what goes on at the other half of the company.

*puts on tinfoil hat* In fact, that probably explains why Sega essentially half-asses everything they do these days! No matter how hard a product from them critically and/or commercially bombs, the Sammy side of Sega-Sammy Corp.'s tendency to always have money rolling in gives Sega carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want with little to no consequences! :specialed:

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It happens every single time. I'm tired of it too.