don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

As much as I'd still miss the red ball (particularly since it matched bits like Sonic's shoes and his eyes/orbs during Super), it's nice to see what the old antenna shape looks like with the new refinements. Perhaps I'd actually be able to get behind the more wire-thin antenna if it reacted to physics like a real antenna of that variety would, but since the thing remains upright and rigid at all times, I'd have to say the Colors shape makes a bit more sense.

Of course, this is all under the assumption that your render wasn't simply an April Fool's Day gag.

2. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    The reason I changed the antenna in the first place was because I wanted to make this a combination of Colors and Lost World, rather than keeping it as a straight "port" of the Colors design. But if it's any consolation, Classic Sonic still has a red antenna ball.

In all honesty, I probably COULD easily make the antenna "react to physics" by rigging it to one of Sonic's quill bones. For now, I still want to find a way to remove the antenna/anetnna ball's drop shadow before fully finalizing its design.

Also, that render isn't an April Fool's Day gag. My April Fool's Day gag was the Youtube video I uploaded today.

3. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Fair enough, even if I hardly touch Classic Sonic these days. This really does make me wonder who had the initial idea to give Lost World's simulator Sonic a purple ball, though... I can't quite see the reason for it.

I'm sure something will be figured out. In the meantime, I really do appreciate the willingness to try the Colors shape, especially since it could be considered such a minor nitpick.

I saw that. Simple, but clever.

Oh, and if I failed to mention it, the new refinements on the robotic parts look sweet as hell.

4. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    The ball is technically pink (I just didn't use the exact color from Lost World, because I had a hard time trying to get the reflection/shader to look right.)

Also, the antenna on Lost World's Simulator Sonic was copied from the game's RC Vehicles. Ironically enough, the antenna was possibly the most effort put into the Lost World model, since it's otherwise just Sonic's normal model with different fur (and a different eye texture.)

Thanks.

5. Arcieo

Arcieo

Adabat Adventure Pack mod
    Having fun with GIA and Super Sonic.
    http://youtu.be/gFn_l7eJ7f4

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Woah how'd you get full super Sonic flight control? Can you release that as a mod on it's own?

7. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I'm pretty sure he just made a really screwy spline.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Part of me knew that, but the other part of me just really wanted the former to be true.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The 3D Text doesn't work. Here's how I have it set up at the moment:
    [​IMG]
    When I exported the file, and tried converting the .mesh to .model, I got an error in SGLvl with "Unknown root node for material: 1919508844", but still exported. When I replaced the pam_obj_ghztext.model and pam_obj_ghztext.material in pam000.ar.00, the Green Hill text was not replaced in the hub world, even though the files were different. What am I doing wrong?

10. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

At my home in Florida
    The SonicGlvl error you got might have to do with the lack of rigging in your first screenshot. Just add a skin modifier to the model, and rig it to the "pam_obj_ghztext" bone that the original model had when you imported it.
    Also, if you're just using the original material/textures, I'd recommend keeping the original .material file that was in pam000.ar.00 (instead of replacing it with the one SonicGlvl makes.)

Another thing I should make clear is that you should be editing the pam000.ar.00 archive within the root directory of bb2.cpk. You should NOT be editing any Pam000.ar.00 archives in the Packed or Language folders when replacing the HUB's stage text models.

Once you've done what I've said above, place the properly rigged pam_obj_ghztext.model (and the original pam_obj_ghztext.material) into the pam000.ar.00 archive, and then place it in your mod's bb2 root folder.

Last, make sure that your mod.ini is set up to load files from bb2's root folder, AND make sure you aren't using any other mods that also include the pam000.ar.00 archive.
    If it STILL doesn't work after doing everything I've said, then I'd be willing to try making the files myself

11. Jason

Jason

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well, it's progress...

12. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

At my home in Florida
    (I'm assuming that you imported the original model using the script that was included in SonicGlvl, so if you used a different version of the script, make sure to use the one SonicGlvl included.)

Make sure that the model is positioned at (0,0,0), has a rotation of (0,0,0), and scale of (100,100,100) before rigging it.
    If you change those values while the model is rigged, the model will be automatically adjusted so that it remains in its current position.

13. Paraxade

Paraxade

Also, make sure your OgreMax scene settings are set to use Y-up, not Z-up.

14. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Anyone have the Sonic, Knuckles and Tails models? The models resource is down.

15. Jason

Jason

Resetting the XForm and re-rigging did the trick. Thanks Joe!

Paraxade, what did you edit to turn off all of the Act 1 options in the hub world (turned of the Y button at least)?

16. Paraxade

Paraxade

I just made some modifications so that Classic Sonic wasn't unlocked at all. Classic Sonic switching is unlocked when cpz100 is unlocked, so I modified the save file that came with the mod so that it wasn't. That alone wasn't sufficient, though, because the game determines stage unlocks dynamically by looking at what other things have been achieved on the save file. Basically, as soon as the game loaded, it would look at the save file and notice that the unlock requirements for cpz100 (completing ghz) had been fulfilled, so it immediately unlocked it again, and that would enable classic switching anyway. So I also had to edit the LUA scripts in #Application.ar.00 to change the unlock conditions for cpz100. Between those two things, that did the trick.

17. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    So after months of procrastination followed by several days of dedicated work, I've finally finished my master work: Pyramid Cave Modern for Sonic Adventure Generations! Joshua Taipale was a great help as usual, and his solos really add a lot to the end of the track. I got General Offensive to help me setting up amps, bass, and basic percussion; I handled the rest of the mixing, arranging, and changes. I hope it adds a lot to the stage when CorvidDude's done with it, and I hope the track is generally enjoyed.

Also the stage is looking really good you guys should get hyped

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

I took a listen and I enjoyed it, but in truth I think that the drums must be clipping, as they're rather painfully loud. I see that you have rebuked the same argument in the soundcloud comments, but I would definitely try experimenting more with the drum mix and render a few different versions until everything is right.

EDIT:

I listened again with different headphones.

The problem isn't the drums per se. If you look at the waveform, you can see that nearly all of the dynamics have been removed (probably due to compression). I think that you need to reduce the compression, even though modern music companies seem to love competing in the "loudness war."

I hope that what I said was helpful. The composition itself is great!

19. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I was a little bit concerned about that, it's just that one of my weaknesses in mixing comes down to the final rendering and how everything is compressed and balanced. I can try looking into it, I just don't want everything to come out really underwhelming and I personally liked the punchy effect of the percussion.

20. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I have to agree that the drums are a bit overwhelming, but aside from that you did a great job!