don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    The only thing that bugs me about Sonic is he has blue arms instead of tan/skin colour arms, I wonder if that is intentional, or they have fell for the most common Sonic colouring mistake lol

They got Amy's right =P

2. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    The show looks about as good as the Donkey Kong Country show

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I think that's too pessimistic of a view, honestly.

Sorry, but I actually think the show looks really fun.

4. Flare

Flare

Oh wait centred mouth... Damn. One of my favourite character traits.

Game wise... Ratchet and Clank feeling. Which actually I'd rather have than a Mario tribute.

5. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Well thank christ this is a sub universe like the comics. I'm fine with Sonic branching out and having his own X, Legends, or Battlenetwork universes like Megaman, but the designs are still highly irritating and very unnecessary. I'm interested in the gameplay direction versus what Sonic Team will be pumping out, but until we get solid footage of how everything is going to go down I'm not going to get my hopes up.

6. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Well, it's certainly been a wild ride reading these last several pages.

I think the TV show looks really good, and seeing those ridiculous episode plots gives me hope. I think the game looks really... strange. Those models look AWFUL, and it kind of looks like Sonic Heroes 2 from looking at the four running up a wall together. I just hope it's an actual Sonic game, but looking at the gameplay it looks unlikely.

Also,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm-AFKUmFw
    1:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3ey4kB2SA
    :05

...Does that seem similar to anyone?

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  8. This is off topic, but... Only Battle Network/Star Force is its own separate universe. Classic, X, Zero, ZX and Legends are different eras in the same world, just hundreds (and in the case of Legends, THOUSANDS) of years apart.

9. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Actually, from watching the trailers some more... it's not always frontmouth. It is most of the time, but it'll somewhat drift to the side closest to the camera.

Anyway... My personal opinions, finally in coherent format.

I don't know what to think about Sonic Boom. It seems like it's going to be great, but I also have a weird feeling about it. Comparing it to recent Sonic... I actually don't think it's better or worse... it's just really different. I need to see more of this before I can call judgement, of course, but mark me down as "willing".

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sega said it's the third. I think we need PRingle clarification on this.

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Oh my, that Eggman redesign is fantastic. He's like a baron, I love it.

I wish we could just get an Eggman game.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Come on Generations 2

13. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    This concept art makes me wish it was traditional animation rather than CG.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/12336334644/

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That's because the ship sank around the Sonic Heroes - Sonic 06 timeframe.

Sonic Colours and Generations are the bits of wood floating on the sea.

15. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I'm wondering if the game would have online co-op. Could certainly be interesting, horrid models aside. Show seems quite good in all honesty, and Roger's voice suits that sort of cartoon humour.

16. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    Things that I'm liking:

• Scarf Sonic is adorable
    • The new Tails actually has engineering equipment like tools and pouches and googles and lab gloves, which is nice
    • Amy's new outfit looks great
    • The game is developed by some of the Jak & Daxter team members, is being developed using CryEngine 3, and features a heavy emphasis on exploration and different playstyles for every character. It also offers local co-op. This is all really positive stuff.
    • The voice acting continues to be excellent post-Colors.
    • The humor is hitting all the right spots. The writing is witty, and some of these plotlines (Modern Lair Magazine, Tails being fired as sidekick and Eggman applying to replace him, Knuckles running for mayor, Eggman taking Sonic to court for an injury) sound really fun.
    • The game environments are colorful and manage to feel like Sonic environments while also feeling totally different. The reliance on classic tropes like open fields, bridges and tropical architecture, and visual references like the sunflowers makes this feel like part of a cohesive Sonic universe while also managing to feel fresh.
    • Love the new Tornado 2 design.
    • Eggman
    • Jazwares won't be touching the toys for this with a ten foot pole. Fuck Jazwares.
    • It's a spin-off, not a reboot. It's Sonic and the Ghostly Adventures, basically.

Things that I'm not liking:

• The in-game models are horrendous and look nothing like the cartoon models. I'm not asking for exact-parity, but the faces on the game models are just fucking ugly.
    • The cartoon appears to take place in a generic wasteland like a lot of CG cartoons. I'm guessing this is a first season budget thing, and reminds me of Transformers Prime, in that the entire first season of Transformers Prime basically took place in a Nevada desert until they got more money in Season 2 to go other places.
    • Knuckles.

Overall, color me excited. There's some substantial talent and tech going into the game, the series seems like it'll be fun, and I think this will be positive for the franchise.

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    It happened and you all said you hated it and now it's GONE

18. Machenstein

Machenstein

You know, I proposed that Sega split the series into two after Generations; one split for classic Sonic and the other for modern Sonic. I guess they followed through with my advice, only now with modern Sonic and... new Sonic.

They'll make any excuse not to use classic Sonic. T_T

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I was hoping for the same thing too. Guess not :/

That's funny the concept art doesn't include those little quills

20. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Humm. Other than the "sports tape everywhere" bit and Knuckles' proportions looking bizarre, I don't mind the redesigns too much.

Based on the trailer for the show, I have to say I'm intrigued. Reminds me of Colours' and Lost World's cutscenes, which is a good thing in my book. Animation looks somewhat off (read: Sonic's face), but I like the sounds of it so far to be honest.

As for the game... Hmm. The character models look... Really weird, I have no idea what's going on there. Gameplay-wise, it's hard to tell for sure, but I have to say I like what I'm seeing on that front. Sort of reminds me of both Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes (in a good way), not sure how to put it.