don't click here

More Sega Channel prototypes dumped.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Kiddo Cabbusses, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Of what? I have a US Sega CD2 and a Saturn, and I'll dump them once I get a willem programmer - that might take month however since I have tons of other important things to spend money on first.

2. Was referring to the US Sega Channel BIOs ROMs.

I'm not entirely sure if it's necessary mind, but I don't recall any of them having a correct checksum, did they...?

3. Well I'm getting a consistent read now using a VCC of 3.6V instead of the default 5V. However the two chips are reading with different checksums (at least their checksums aren't floating about all over the place now...).

From unit with the serial BB40002456 - clicky
    From unit with the serial BB40010501 - clicky

Doesn't seem to work on all emulators, I did have sound, but it has since disappeared... and the emulator crashes on launch!
    I need to get to work (yep real life a callin') - but if anyone wants to have a look and see if these appear to look right on the inside... go for it!
    Straight up I noticed a lot more clean blank space instead of random junk inside the blank space...

And search me as to why it has that error message, I couldn't tried flipping the language switch on the emulator and it now crashes on boot... oh well!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    The roms don't match because they are indeed different revisions - the internal checksums are correct for both, so, they are good dumps.

5. So they're different revisions.. both called 2.11?

WTF, Sega?

EDIT: Also, PAL and French Secam? Does that mean Europe got THIS version?

6. Very good questions!

While I don't have any answers to that I was wondering;
    - Do we have any scans or photos of any European Sega Channel hardware?
    - Do we have any scans or internal photos of the two US variants of the Sega Channel hardware?

7. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    It wouldn't be a first for Sega to bump up the content but not change the internal headers. It happens sometimes. What I find more surprising is that the chips don't have a PROM label on them, all Sega roms have them. It would be pretty easy to find which version each rom is from those.

I don't know if Europe got a Sega Channel but it wouldn't be impossible for them to make a bios that is compatible with all versions. In fact it might be compatible with PAL units only so it can run on the Asia consoles...?

8. - As far as I know, no. I've tried looking, but only managed to get some vague testimony that it actually existed. Of course, maybe in another 5 years there'll be some French article on it or something and it'll send me into a panic attack trying to get the cart... :P

- While there's a lot of pictures of the outer shells, I can't seem to find internal pics of the two US BIOs. Maybe someone else has these carts on hand for this? If not, there's at least a less-absurdly-priced one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Channel-Network-Adapter-Only-no-power-etc-just-cartridge-/281185136333?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4177f0aecd

EDIT: Well, thankfully I was at least linked things that would theoretically confirm the existence of the Euorpean Sega Channel. Thanks to Uno10 on #sega:

http://www.cbronline.com/news/sega_channel_launched_in_uk

It seems it launched really late compared to the other versions. Here's an article on the delay.
    http://www.telecompaper.com/news/plans-on-hold-for-european-sega-channel--27874

I wonder how easy it would've been to done a full-Satellite switch? The service would've been even more directly comparable to Satellaview if this was the case...

One wack thing to note is that Sega of America is listed as the developer on the European version. This suggests to me that it's most likely Europe got PAL-tweaked versions of one of the US BIOs.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    http://segaretro.org/Talk:Sega_Channel

10. Well, caught up on that Talk:Sega_Channel discussion.

I don't really know if any of that info is helpful towards obtaining BIOS cart ROM dumps, though. Still it's certainly something.

Just to check, do we know if the US BIOS cart possibly has a PAL/French Secam mode?

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    There are several games (like Monster World IV) with misconfigured region lock settings that report the games work in Europe (or in some cases, the US) too.

Also ... why is an official ROM produced in 1994 missing the SEGA at $100 required for TMSS? Did Japan never get the TMSS ROM after all? I thought they did (though evidence suggests they were originally not going to...)

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Speaking of this, why is the following title listed as unknown?
    It's just the name that was given to "Donald in Maui Mallard" outside of the European and Japanese console versions.

EDIT: Hey, turns out it was even called "Donald in Cold Shadow" in some regions.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The story is Nintendo held an exclusivity license for that game in the US, so if you wanted that game, you had to pick up the Super Nintendo version. By having it on the US Sega Channel you're messing up contracts and agreements.

14. I don't really know if this would be good for being posted elsewhere (It's about a MegaModem game, not Sega Channel), but I suppose since this is my thread anyway, I figured I'd relay something of interest from the No-Intro forums:

I'm pretty interested in this, since it's hot off the heels of the Japanese Sega Channel BIOS dump. I'll be looking forward to it.

Anyone else who wants to check it, here's the thread:
    http://forums.no-intro.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2466&p=13573

15. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

http://I.imgur.com/x6KvM5S.jpg

Sega Pro 39 (Published Nov 3rd 1994)

That article was probably written in October 1994, and may have been based on an older article from a Japanese magazine. With the bios having a date of July 1994 then it should have released somewhere around September 1994, give or take a month.

Off topic: Anyone know anything about "Game Station", "People", or "Guippy"? It sounds like a prior online presence to this.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Race Drivin' for the Mega CD? I don't think that's documented anywhere.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The problem I've found with a lot of these old magazines is that they sometimes announce games that never existed. Lots of people getting confused between the Mega CD, 32X and Saturn, made worse if there aren't really any screenshots.

Race Drivin' was released on the Saturn in August 1995 - it could be that.

18. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Got my sega channel's back from retro junkie (thanks man). I was thinking I don't really have much use for them, so does anyone want them? Kiddo gets first dibs.

19. I take it this is to purchase them, right? PM me and name your price n' whatnot.

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I figured they aren't exactly worth much now that the service is long discontinued, so I was just going to fling it your way if you want it.

I looked at ebay and people are tryin to sell US Sega Channels for stupid amounts of money, but the completed listings have only shown 1 sold for about $40.