don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

I'm afraid that in practically all of the Sonic games that I've enjoyed playing, including the classic titles, springs have been used to "move around" and get in your way. They've almost never been exclusively "orange Mario Galaxy stars."

2. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    I actually noticed a few instances in the videos where yellow springs were popping out of the ground suddenly. Particularly in the windmill sections.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Shame, I thought Generations did well. if thats the case, goodbye multiplatforms and PC ports. :(

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    In other news, people think Mario 3D World and Sonic Lost World both look good, meaning Mario vs Sonic schoolfights are back! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587396

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  6. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    This is why I aspire to land a job at places like SEGA and Nintendo. Because it's full of dorks and I might actually fit in for once.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  8. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Paraxade linked me to this video.

Direct feed of Windy Hill, you can hear the music pretty well this time.

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Impressed am I. I have to get a Wii U, even if it's just for this game.

10. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    This game looks like such a huge step backwards it's not even funny.

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I really hope this game isn't as hard to control as it looks.

12. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    It looks too jarring. I imagined the speed transitions would be smooth but they are near instant. I still want to see in detail what exactly the second trigger does for speed.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Well it would make a nice Bug Three!

It's definitely a step backwards... but mostly from a visual perspective I think. Gameplay wise it doesn't really relate to Sonic the Hedgehog at all, but I give them credit for not binging as much on super linear RUN RUN RUN gameplay.

We're coming up to two decades of 3D Sonic experimentation. Twenty years of not quite hitting the mark.

14. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I don't know why you are all complaining so much. Other than the jump looking a tad too heavy, this looks fucking astounding. REAL ACTUAL SUPER PEEL-OUT COMPLETE WITH CHARGE? YES.

I'm looking at the gameplay, and I really cannot find anything fundamentally wrong with it, as much as I really want to because this is a console exclusive.

Fuck, I might have to buy a Wii U.

15. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    Yeah, between this and smash, the Wii U has gone from an afterthought to "How can I buy this system for under 200$"

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Wait till the PS4 comes out.

17. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Yeah, the WiiU might be cheap compared to the eventual competition.

And I have to say that this looks really amazing; Sonic can finally slow down and smell the flowers for once in a 3D game. (Although I guess the Werehog could count here.) I just love how platforming is becoming more of a focus in this game, and not just speed. It still lacks momentum, but it's a huge step in the right direction. It's great to see Sonic finally becoming more of a walking pinball again, than an out-of-control motorcycle; not that Sonic Unleashed or Generations weren't great games, the sense of speed blew me away and still does.

The only thing that bothers me here is the lack of an alternative character to play as, not even freaking Tails. I think I may have been spoiled by the choices previous games had, but I really loved the different play-styles of Blaze, Amy, and Tails. Sonic by himself just bores me in comparison, and whenever I have the choice too, I never play as him. Doesn't mean I wouldn't play this for being picky about character selection, but there's more replay value in it for me when other characters are playable too, even if it's just one other, like Sonic 2 or Sonic Rush.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

I always felt that the Unleashed/Generations gameplay already had momentum. The point was to maintain speed, and that wasn't easy. I see nothing fun about stopping to climb a flight of stairs.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Good thing you don't have to. You can run up pretty quickly with the parkour system or run up the wall instead. Successful, skillful parkour moves will net you speed boosts too.

20. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    To me it lacks alternative characters (giving the choice of other characters without completely changing the gameplay is what the Mario games do, and it works well), and it lacks personnality : music sounds bland, reminds me of Unleashed, and the levels tropes are uninspired from what I saw. So with Sonic Team now, it's either realistic levels with generic jungles, cities and castles, or completely cartoonish green hill clones and abstract floating donuts. Sonic belongs to a world between the two I think.

Plus I find it annoying how Sonic looks like he is having fun in the recent games, he just acts like Bugs Bunny. How I see the things is that he shouldn't have much fun, he should look and sound concerned and determined as the worlds he is visiting are threatened and he tries to save them. I hope it will change with this game but I'm not sure it will at all. Sonic CD or the Sonic Adventure games got that right for the character.