don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Turbohog, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Nomz

Nomz

I was wondering if there was a hack to make Sonic (and maybe Shadow?) work like he did in SADX? Here's what I mean:

SADX allowed for insta-spin-dash, or a quick tapping of the action button.

SA2B doesn't allow for this, and instead replaced a tap of the action button with a pathetic summersault. Because of this, Spin Dash takes longer to execute and stops you the instant you try and use it again, instead of steadily decelerating you like in SADX.

I'm basically asking if it is at all possible to make Sonic behave like he did in SADX, at least in terms of the Spin Dash.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    It is certainly possible, but I have not studied the relevant code enough to make such a hack.

3. Nomz

Nomz

Knowing it is possible is nice to know. I'd get into it if I knew enough about what I was doing. You don't have to make the hack if you don't want to, I understand you're a busy guy.

4. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    Well duh, everything is more or less possible, depending on the amount of effort you're willing to put in. But I certainly have no intention of raping the game with SA1's broken gameplay design everyone seems to love for some reason.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'd rather see a hack where certain abilities are put on different buttons, like X getting the Spindash/roll and bounce attack, B gets the somersault thing, and Y gets magic hands and light dash or whatever. Would make the game at least 500% more playable, but I guess everyone knows that would help. Sounds like it wouldn't be easy, though.

6. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Agreed. I always thought Light Dash should be moved to X. They added that bar in the pit in Crazy Gadget with 4 Beetles and a ring trail, but it wouldn't be necessary if Light Dash and Bounce were mapped to different buttons. Not sure what could/should be changed in the other modes, though.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Jase told me in #x-hax that he had discovered the cause of Knuckles' glitchiness in certain levels: his boundaries are determined by Death Zones, and those stages do not have a single whole-stage deathzone, either blocking him from certain areas or causing his code to freak out and put him at Infinity or NaN. Since Flarn2006's cheat table has an option to disable death by falling, I was able to track the code to locate the subroutine in Knuckles' code that handles his boundaries, and disable it.

At 336F50 (737B50 RAM), change 83 EC 54 to 31 C0 C3.

8. Vahkiti

Vahkiti

Canadialand
    Professional let's player, video gamer, chiptune composer
    I've been trying to figure out why Knux self destructs for years. Kudos!

On a side note, I assume this will also fix Chaos?

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It should work for all four of them yes.

10. Vahkiti

Vahkiti

Canadialand
    Professional let's player, video gamer, chiptune composer
    Seems like it yes. I tested it out earlier, just didn't get a chance to reply back right after.

Now we need to figure out why this happens and we're pretty much good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWMrNtNszAk

For some reason Chaos seems to be more universally compatible with other characters' set pieces than Knuckles. Things that crash the game as Knux/Rouge usually work with Chaos and I assume Tikal as well. Though "work" as seen above can often be of debatable meaning. :P

Mind you the Knuckles bug was A LOT more punishing to the senses on the Gamecube version. I used a custom edit of the character modifier action replay code to get this and... well... you'll see. :P

Code (Text):
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrD—QLcWE
    EDIT: had to put the link in code tags because apparently I can in no way share this video... It seems to be because of the hyphens in the URL. It has two but Retro for some reason combines them in to one long one. Just edit them back in when you copy/paste the link. Scumbag YouTube... O_o

11. flarn2006

flarn2006

Excellent! I'll add it to the cheat table as soon as I get a chance. Added to the cheat table.

12. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Is there a way to disable the camera altogether, such that it stays in one spot until you re-enable it again? I can do this in SA1 but I can't find the address for it in SA2.

13. flarn2006

flarn2006

There is something you can delete in the object editor that will cause the camera to jump to some random point in the level (probably 0,0,0) and stay there, but I doubt that's what you're looking for. And you can't fix it without restarting the level.

14. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    About this here. It's missing the character BGs for the menu screen. I'm pretty sure those files were on disc in the DC version and you just needed the keys to unlock them.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    With the type of editing I was doing at the time, the menus were an "either-or" choice: either have the default SA2 background all the time, or have the SA2B backgrounds. It may be possible to combine SA2's default background with SA2B's character backgrounds with some more in-depth coding.

16. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Sa2 actually had character BGs though. Let me see if I can find an image of one...

[​IMG]

Best I could find without tracking down a DC emulator, they were something like that. Only Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Rouge were released before the DC went belly up, but all of the themes are present on the disc.

17. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    here you go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152792291

There was also a christmas and Halloween theme too.

18. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    I know Chao are a very low priority for most interested in hacking the Adventure Games, but I have to wonder if anyone has figured out what causes "Bright" chao or how to restore shiny two-tones to their Gamecube appearance.

More information on Bright Chao can be found in the following thread from Chao Island(though most on the information is just raw observation with little in the way of looking at assets or code):
    http://chao.hippotank.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41340

19. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    Just from looking at the screenshots seems like something went wrong when writing the chao's color values and they were left as FFFFFF, which is pure white. Then the normal highlights are pasted on top of that.

I have to wonder if two-tone chao weren't originally a bug to begin with and this is just a worse outcome to the same problem.

20. Jase

Jase

~~(_ _C^> Member
    flarn2006 , your cheattable is awesome! It's so neatly laid out and hold so many useful addresses!.
    I do wish to ask though, would it be cool to add all the same P1 addresses but for P2? I never could wrap my head around pointers and only ever made one pointer successfully with a lot of time and effort, and I'd find the 2P stuff very useful.

EDIT: Actually I'm having trouble with what I was going to do. Still, would be nice to have those addresses in general :eng101: