don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Turbohog, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    [​IMG]

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

Well here's a rather ambitious mod. Back porting Unleashed HD levels to SA2. It's a kinda rough start but given how much more massive and detailed these levels were than SA2's I'm amazed they got this to work at all. Cool Edge day looks pretty cool, even at this early state (this is in like pre-alpha "proof of concept" state atm)

I wonder if the creators will give Knuckles and Rouge the werehog levels.

EDIT: I asked and the creator said that wasn't possible at this time. Something to do with how treasure hunting levels work or something like that. Either way this is still neat

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  3. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I was hoping to be able to use the Blender add-on to be able to modify Sonic's Battle model, but even just importing and immediately exporting results in the model completely collapsing in SAMDL:

[​IMG]

[EDIT] Well, I looked at the pastebin guide and saw where it said to export into the exact same file. I did that and everything works as intended. I just need to learn how to map new objects to the bones. I'm assuming I need to give them the same name as the old objects as well, since I noticed the ini in the model directory which has a list of the default names of the objects.

[EDIT 2] Welp, that did it. I successfully rigged the right foot with relative ease by reusing the original mesh's names and the same names as the vertex groups. For anyone in the same situation, don't forget the armature modifier on the new mesh.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  4. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    What am I even looking at; and why is it so amazing? :O

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

Has there been any progress in restoring much of the Dreamcast version’s original lighting and fixing transparency issues? It still baffles me that we only really get to play a broken port.

6. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    There's actually a collection of mods from different sources that restore some lighting. They're all far from perfect, but there's some work being done. I have them listed below:

Presentable Eggman Stages and No Model Tinting by Speeps
    Enhanced City Escape by Shaddatic
    Pulsating Fog/Light for Prison Lane & Dreamcast object light restoration by HoppyBoppyBunny

I currently run with all of these and haven't noticed any issues. There's some older ones that try to fix the fog in White Jungle but it's a bit unreliable.

7. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

I wanted to highlight a couple of cool mods by Sora_yx!

Better Sonic: https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/17397

Better Miles: https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/14970

Basically, these mods allow Sonic(/Amy/Shadow/Metal Sonic) and Mechless Tails to handle like their SA1 counterparts more, with additions such as giving Sonic an SA1-style Spin Dash that can break containers and slide under obstacles where he previously needed to use the somersault, and essentially giving a complete overhaul to Tails' moveset with the Rapid Tails' Attack, Spin Jump, Rolling, and SA1-style flight. Tails can also interact with many more obstacles like grind rails and rockets.

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    We sure that's not just Becky? :V

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  11. Real curious: that smooth body and head lean to the side that Sonic does in a sharp enough turn - how much of it is an animation and how much is code? Is it just a good looking animation or do they parametrically skew character skeleton depending on angular speed or something? (like 9-way blending in CS 1.6)

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It's entirely code, you can look at it in the source code for my SA2 Sonic mod for SADX (NodeCallback and Sonic_Display_r). It does a calculation based on movement and applies an X rotation on a specific node in the model (Metal applies it in a different node to make his entire body rotate, since he's hovering).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. 2MainMemory Thanks! Did I get it right that sometimes X rotation is v1 and sometimes it's v5? I'm pretty lost in this code :)

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Those are just variable names that were automatically generated. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure how the code works myself, I just copied it.