don't click here

Sonic Dash, on iOS & Android

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Considering the fact that this game has a 3d perspective and seems to run fluidly enough as is, why not just make this an actual game? Seriously, would it really be that hard to simply turn what is basically an autoscrolling platformer into a real platformer? Most of it is already there, why not just turn this into a real fucking game instead of Canabalt clone #987158325? Smartphone gaming as a platform suffers from Dreamcast Homebrew Syndrome: They're all the same damn game. Dreamcast Homebrew is nothing but puzzle games, topdown racers, and sidescrolling shooters, and iOS and Android games are nothing but DoodleJump clones, Angry Birds, and Temple Run clones.

Is it really too much to ask for a legitimate software developer to make legitimate games on a potentially legitimate gaming platform? I don't fucking think so. Sure, this is SEGA's mobile division, but even they should have an eye for quality, they've been doing this for how long now?

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    No dice. It's slower than Temple Run for Christ's sake.

3. But what if you can buy upgrades that increase speed with the regular rings you collect? That sorta seems the case here, I sorta noticed it's similar to Sonic jump in that you can buy/upgrade powerups and such.

4. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Robot Unicorn already has your character speed up over the game, though, RuRi. Besides, Sonic and Upgrades have never sit well with me at all. It would only make sense that Sonic picks up speed over the game.

But of course, this is Modern Sonic, actual momentum has no place here.

5. Well as it's made by the same people who made jump, it wouldn't surprize me if it does have it where you can upgrade.

And that's a good point, it might just speed up over time. we only saw the slowest speeds because the guy in the video kept failing.

6. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    ^^^^^This^^^^^^

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Because it's much, much easier and quicker to make an on-rails game, especially on iOS where you only have the touch screen to work with. They could put on virtual buttons and stuff, but those really don't work as well as actual buttons, and at that point they may as well put it on something that does have buttons. It's very hard to make a game on iOS that's not for casuals because the controls would probably suck unless they try something new and the majority of people that buy games for the iPhone/iPad are casual gamers.

Have you tried playing Crazy Taxi or Jet Set Radio on an iPhone? It doesn't control nearly as good as on something with actual buttons. A 2D platformer like Sonic CD or Super Crate Box can still work well with them though if they're done right. Something like Sonic Dash with very simple controls on the other hand can easily work and is easier to make. Also, it actually doesn't run fluidly on the iPhone 4S at least. The framerate can get pretty bad at times.

It's just a small low-budget game SEGA made to make some cash off of.

8. You haven't even tried the game and are already dismissing it as garbage? It's a motherfucking mobile game. What the fuck do you expect it to be? You're going to swipe, you're going to tap, that's all it can possibly be. I do agree it's a bit slow paced, but aside from that it looks better than any iOS game, and appears to play fluidly.

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    'Easy' is no excuse when it comes to quality control and a huge software company like SEGA.

Taxman's Sonic CD Software D-Pad would have worked fine for a simple 3D Platformer. Besides, there are plenty of controller attachments for most major mobile devices out there.

I love how people think touchscreen games will always and forever be limited to unlimited clones of Temple Run, Tetris, Doodle Jump, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and the like. There is an untapped market with cash in hand ready to throw down on a decent fucking mobile game for a change.

10. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Uh, Sega put out both Sonic 4 episodes and All-Stars Racing for Android and/or iOS, so it's not like games like this and Jump are being made at the expense of "actual games".

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    How dare they attempt to make money? They should give us this entire thing for free! No-one made any effort at all with it, since I dislike it, anyways.

Everything is unlockable in-game. It requires no more money than the $2- that's two less coffees this month, oh no- you pay to get the app. Want to play as Knuckles? Stop whining, get running.

12. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Not really what I was going for. I just think games based around microtransactions are better off free than $2; you're inevitably going to be making paydirt as it is, so adding an initial entry fee is somewhere between greedy and stupid (since it'll limit the userbase eager to do your microtransaction scheme).

13. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    So I just took a look at the game in iFunBox. All the assets are tucked away in some compressed files. If anyone could dig them out (especially the music), it would be much appreciated.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Two bucks still isn't bad at all. This seems like a solidly crafted little game. It looks really good (aesthetically) and it looks like an enjoyable little time-waster. People who have a problem with $2 games are making a big deal over nothing, it's cheaper than a freaking burger at McDonalds, guys, if that's too rich for your blood, why do you have a smart phone, and why the heck are you wasting time using your expensive internet access complain about it?

$2 is a steal's all I'm saying.

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    This game is a piece of shit. The object placement is cheap and frustrating and borderline fucking impossible to see coming sometimes, the collision is super unforgiving, and unless you want to spend ages grinding some of this shit you're going to need microtransactions to dream of unlocking the other characters.

Looks nice though.

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I don't think it's bad at all. Yeah, there are some dick moves as far as placement is concerned, and the collision could be a little better (especially on ledges), but that's really my only concern along with microtransactions - which don't bother me much since they were expected in the first place.

17. woun

woun

Change your world Member
    Sonic Dash ripping and (Sonic Scene confirm Android version):
    http://sonic-scene.ru/eng/?p=611

18. Well, the game is not compatiable with my ipod.

guess that'll teach me to not read before purchasing.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    This. I'd enjoy the game a lot more if the level design wasn't so bad. It's "hard" because they hide obstacles behind other obstacles. It's the kind of game some kid will accidentally spend a hundred bucks from his/her parent's credit card on.

Also:
    [​IMG]

20. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Kind of annoyed that my 4th Gen iPod Touch is not up to the task of rendering this game at full FPS :(