don't click here

AeStHete Engine Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Mercury, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    So glad I chose to learn GameMaker over MMF now.

So how much from the original games will be already there ready made? Things like badniks/gimmicks I mean. Will we have to add these all ourselves if we wanted them? (Obviously we would if we wanted new ones, I'm on about stuff from Sonic 1 etc)

I wouldn't mind either way, just wondering.

2. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Only the bare basics at first. There is the possibility I will add them later, though.

3. When you're at the point where you're ready to add additional badniks and level gimmicks, would you take requests/suggestions? Not ridiculous ones (It needs to go full 3D and home in on Sonic from the background while raining objects from Blue Sphere and Sonic beats it by launching himself out of cannons into the background at it while Tails rams it with the Tornado and Knuckles picks up chunks of the level terrain and throws them at it so that Sonic can bounce between them a la Kingdom Hearts II via Reaction Command and...), but just simple things similar to what a Genesis could handle.

4. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    You should do your "Sonic 1 on crack" idea you had a while ago.

5. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    Like if someone said "please make me a Turtloid" or "please make me a Ballhog", etc? Yeah, that would be a distinct possibility.

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Or perhaps tutorials/instructions/guides of how to add them ourselves? In case people don't want them. But I'm not sure how that works.

7. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'd be all for us doing it ourselves...

I'm with Sonica, A simple tutorial to steer us in the right direction would suffice. No need to have to do all the extra work for us.
    BTW I love the ASM2GML thing going on, Hope to see more as it helps to explain some of the ASM functions like BCC and BCS. (I'm a hacking noob, F--- off.)... though I wouldn't even completely do it that way either... as like you pointed out on said guide, GML can't redirect to labels like ASM can... unless one used a script... which is rather slow.
    Therein lies learning the ins and outs of GML.

8. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    Agreed there as well. I'm really interested on this. I'd really love to make a fangame of my own someday, but sadly the tools available are very complicated for me, also I lack programming skills, so something simple and user friendly would be best for me and everybody who is starting on this as well. That's what I think anyways...

9. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    IMHO, it would be best to implement some gimmicks, enemies, and objects, but make sure the code is fully commented and explained. Make it not just a freebie, but a good working example for people to modify, experiment, and learn with, which will promote learning about how the engine works, how to program with GML, and how to create new objects from scratch. Then the end user will be able to implement anything else he or she needs.

I do recommend you create some sort of an example boss. Show the user how to restrict the camera, track object states, etc.

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Fabulous!

I'll be looking forward to it! :)

11. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    This is great! Looking forward to having a mess about with it. Have slight GameMaker experience since I used it during college a bit, made a basic game starring Vegeta :v: But still would be great to make a Sonic game based on this.

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Sorry to take this off topic, but I had to ask this one question..
    What exactly was this??? This was a few years ago, yes? I have a feeling I may have played this at one point...

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, will this require GM8.0? I think the shader is incompatible with newer versions.

Lucky I have my old copy :P

14. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Was actually early last year, and I didn't publicise it much other than sending to a couple friends, so you likely haven't played it XD I called it "Path to Kakarot".

15. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    To answer this on his behalf, since I recently asked him the same thing, it DOES require GM 8.0... due to an extension NOT being compatible with GM 8.1.
    I'll quote what he told me

16. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    I am, though, considering making it simple to "opt out" of the palette features so that it can be compatible with newer GM versions. I'll see what I can do.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    And possibly the extension could be updated sometime. Who knows?

I'll be using the palettes though, whatever GM, it'll be wicked.

18. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    But my computer hates most GM games... :(

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Test Sonic GMX

It is made with this engine, so if this works, you should be fine.

20. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    Hey, everybody, here's a screenshot of the interface:

[​IMG]

The action happens in the 3 "widgets" in the middle of the screen. The Zone Player previews the zone as it will be seen by the player. The Zone Editor allows you to click to edit tiles, solids, objects, and miscellaneous other things. The Zone Navigator allows you to quickly move about the zone, showing whatever region you want to edit in the editor.

Basically, it's like Debug Mode on steroids, allowing you to edit zones in real time as you play them. Furthermore, all features of the Zone Editor are available on the Zone Player, so you can reposition, delete, etc any object in either the player or the editor. You may also hold the "P" key (subject to user options) and click in either view to bring the player to the position in the editor or vice versa.

Expect a video very soon showing off these features and more! <3