don't click here

Generations PC Unleashed Porting - Public Hardware Test #1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, May 13, 2012.

1. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    These are amazing. You all are doing a truly amazing job with this. I can't wait to see the end results.

2. Falk

Falk

The duration of the clips should be a non-issue, I think. I'm going to keep it consistent with the existing stuff just in case we ever want to integrate both into a giganto-hub world (for whatever reason, and if zones can be added in instead of just replacing which is the bigger question right now, I guess)

I'll start dicking around and let's see what happens.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

Why are you remixing stage music again? It all sounds very nice, but I'm curious.

4. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    White World HUB tunes.

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

So you can't bring the original Unleashed Hub worlds back?

EDIT: Delete-- with removed ninja'd posts, this looks like a double post, and the one on the next page is better and more detailed.

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

So you aren't going to change the hub world itself really? That's a shame, I thought it was probably one of the worst in the 3d Sonic games---Unleashed had nice open-world obstacle courses hubs that I rather enjoyed.

7. Call me a little off here but I thought each level in the White Hub was 26 seconds long split up into 13 2-second clips and the game would shift into each file depending on where you stood, so if you were stood at Green Hill for file04 and file05 and started to move towards Chemical Plant, it would shift into file06 for that.

8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I had the game crash after choosing to go back to the hub world instead of replaying the act. I can't get the game to recreate it frequently, but this is the second time this has happen today. Visual Studio 2010 says "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in SonicGenerations.exe [252]." Upon choosing to debug, The error "Unhandled exception at 0x776615de in SonicGenerations.exe: 0x00000000: The operation completed successfully." When I hit Continue in Visual Studio, a small bit of the music plays from the end scene, and then immediately get the same error. Upon choosing Break, a nice quarter-second of the music plays, and then Windows say the program stopped working, with the option to debug or close program. Repeat.

Specs:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: Z68AP-D3
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4014MB RAM
    Page File: 3031MB used, 4992MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Hope this helps.

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    so I herd u guise haet teh rock texchur

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ajavalo

Ajavalo

Cáceres, Spain
    enjoy everything
    Excuse-me, but I have a problem: whenever I have CPKREDIR activated, I can't run Sonic Generations! I click my game icon, but it just doesn't start, nothing happens, not even an error message! Please tell me what could I be doing wrong, I've followed the instructions accordingly.

11. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Are you running Windows 8? I've heard reports it isn't working under Windows 8, so you might wanna report that on Korama's thread. If you unpack CPKREDIR it works just fine? (via the cpkredirInst.exe)

12. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Dayyyyyum.

13. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Thanks for the report. It doesn't help much, though. On my system, there are just some strings from ntdll.dll (a Windows core library) at 0x776615de, but the memory layout could be totally different on your system.
    Anyway, it'd be helpful to know whether those crashes happen with any mod (then it's most likely a CPKREDIR issue) or just Windmill Isle.
    I've got a few crashes with Windmill Isle myself, but very rarely.

Sorry, with so little information, I can't help you.

14. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    There are some problems with the positioning of the real-time shadows on Sonic.

[​IMG]

It's kind of hard to see but the tree's leaves are casting shadows on Sonic's head when he's nowhere near the tree's shadow depicted in the shadow map.

15. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    I think this might be the way it's supposed to be.
    Take a look at the original stage (here, for example). In Sonic Unleashed, Sonic had a realistic shadow, whereas in Generations, he has a simple perpendicular drop shadow (helps with 3D platforming, but artistically not so nice).
    Seeing how low over the horizon the sun is in that stage, and how long all the shadows are (see lamp post and tree), the head of Sonic's real shadow should have already reached the shadow of the leaves at the bottom of your screenshot.
    That is, his legs are in the sunlight, but his head is already shaded by the tree.

16. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Dat Grass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Those improved rock textures look weird because I am pretty sure the geometry was custom modeled to shape to the rock texture for added depth. Replacing the texture makes it look more flat than it did before.

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    It's literally the same texture with more detail. Don't have the pow maps generated though, so that's probably what you're seeing.

19. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I can confirm it works fine under Windows 8 x64, at least for me.

20. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    Mod runs fine for me on 32-bit Windows Vista, on my brother's PC. His specs are pretty good but I can't remember specifics and I'm on my computer right now, which is much shittier. I do hope that the random issues the stage has can be fixed eventually. Things like the previously mentioned water flickering, skybox seam, camera issues, and other glitches/graphical errors.

As a side note, it would be awesome if someone uses the mod loader to make much-needed mods more accessible for people, like the mod where I think someone said they fixed the lag in Chemical Plant Zone by disabling the framerate limitation that was placed in the stage so it could run better on consoles and left in for the PC version when it was ported. And the fixed Super Sonics mod. Maybe those already have been adapted for use with the mod loader, and I just haven't seen them.