don't click here

Generations PC Unleashed Porting - Public Hardware Test #1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, May 13, 2012.

1. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Naaa, it's about having both together. Ever wonder why a majority of highly acclaimed games are both solid in gameplay and have stunning graphics? It's what people want.. which makes me wonder what the hell Minecrafters are smoking.

2. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    http://youtu.be/Ib-gvBTTsaY

We have a winner!

3. Motwera

Motwera

For those who visited my YouTube channel know what I mean

So, I tested this mod that was released and noticed a difference in performance (Not slow like Seaside hill) that It performed better than most Generations stages on such small and weak computer (It has the Nvidia ION as its graphics card and Atom 330 as its CPU)
    I don't have the time to post a screenshot or a video about it (Running real-time on the Computer)
    So yeah, similar performance results like those who have the AMD HD 4200 and Intel HD 3000 (A little better)

4. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    ...your quote about Minecraft basically undermines your entire argument.

Good gameplay comes first, no matter what, unless the artistic direction of a game is literally one of the key components of the experience.

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Good and realistic are not necessarily the same thing. Minecraft renders a fucking ton of polys, and has a distinctive visual style.

Though good graphics almost always are a plus, it's rarely a dealbreaker unless the graphics are bad enough to impact the gameplay (Superman 64).

6. Turbohog

Turbohog

As long as the art direction is fine and the graphics aren't complete derp, it's fine in my opinion. Also, minecraft isn't even fun, so who cares about the graphics? (This is coming from someone who played the game while it was aplha)

Also, I tested this on my laptop with an i7 processor and a 1 GB radeon graphics card. I don't feel like posting all the specs, but it ran about the same fps as all the other stages do on my laptop. Maybe even 1 or 2 faster.

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    All I'm saying is that I'd like to know where I'm going to land more than I'd like the game to look "realistic".

Sonic GDK gets around this by having both; from far away you have the shadow that shows you where you're going to land, but once you're close enough, it switches to a realistic shadow.

8. LesbianPonyArmageddon

LesbianPonyArmageddon

New Zealand
    Pissing around with Generations files.
    http://puu.sh/xeZb

This probably makes me look like a complete idiot, but I can't run the .exe ;c;

9. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Might wanna report that on the CPKREDIR thread instead.

EDIT: On the topic of Directional shadows, the code for them is in another renderer leftover as well as the lightshafts. Korama was modifying the exe to enable the old renderer, I'm impressed they left over that stuff. It's too buggy on other stuff though, so I have no idea how feasible it is to bring those features back.

10. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    I sent you a PM.

Yeah, I made a video of the game running with the old renderer here (light shafts in GHZ enabled). I could talk about it a bit more, but this is probably the wrong topic for it.