don't click here

Generations PC Unleashed Porting - Public Hardware Test #1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, May 13, 2012.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Is there currently any plan to attempt porting the DLC stages? Are those in any way radically different from normal stages? What about the one in Shamar that is noticeably more open world than the rest of Sonic Unleashed?

2. Falk

Falk

3. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    I might as well contribute a video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QohGiI25cTQ

I'm still really impressed with this, and I was glad to have contributed that one AAX file. :D

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    That answers one of my three questions.

5. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    ^ The DLC stages are not radically different from normal stages, as far as I know. Some even come with higher quality global illumination data than was used in the main stages.

Showing some bugs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdqU0FcpH8

6. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Just wanted to point out that the latest version with grass instancing seems to have bloated up the memory usage a bit, so it might be the reason behind the freezes/crashes... That annoying 512 MB memory limit is really annoying, I hope there's some way we can increase that. It's not like performance is gonna get really hammered by it.

Last time I found some Memory.xml but any settings I tried just seemed to make the game unstable and crash.

7. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    For whatever reason it doesn't crash for me, even while following Zoney's instructions.

8. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    It doesn't matter, it seems the vertex format used by Devil's Details is very inefficient(The funny part is I could probably optimize Generations' stages in general if it works out). Luckily I got the vertex declaration table figured out, so I can probably make my own formats for it. I can make the byte size of each vertex go from 104 to 76 in most cases, which should be a significant upgrade in memory usage. This test has really shown me this is needed, and I'll work on it. If it works out I'll likely release another revision for testing.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Not sure if this is on the radar for the test, but GHZ Act 1 is missing many of its assets. The stable and collapsable bridges are missing, the brakeable purple rocks are replaced by unbreakable metal boxes, and the crumbling ground crashes the game. Is this a known problem?

10. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Oh, what's the nature of that 512 MB limit?
    It's really weird, most of the time I get those red fringes around those specific grass textures, but sometimes they aren't there...

See here.

11. Just tried, Installed using the first method, works completely fine and dandy, now I want more, brilliant job guys!

12. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    Windmill Isle runs great on my machine (DXDiag file included below)
    I've run into the same bug with crashing when trying to explore the starting area (Literally just running to the right when the level starts causes the app to hang).

I'll keep playing with it and see if I can break it in any fun/new ways

http://www.yarsoft.com/files/DxDiag.txt

I recall skyrim having trouble with a similar memory limit at first; Users got around this by flipping the bit to have the application run in 64-bit mode (waay higher memory limit).

13. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Doesn't happen on my system. I've explored the starting area quite extensively and never got a crash.

Sounds like you're talking about the "large address aware" flag. Funny thing is that I just tried that on SonicGenerations.exe, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Without the LAA flag set in the exe header, a 32 bit program can use up to 2 GB of memory. With the LAA flag set, the limit is raised to 3 GB in a 32 bit Windows and the full 4 GB (=limit of a 32 bit address space) in a 64 bit Windows.

14. Since everyone is posting links of them doing well, here's me doing a rough run due to the lowered frame rate (I later realised it was because I had FRAPS set to an External drive that was slow as hell):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LECin5ElY_U

15. ezodagrom

ezodagrom

Recorded my own video as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB-IBZe5JEc

I have a Phenom II X4 955 (3.2GHz), Radeon HD6850 1GB GDDR5, 4GB DDR2. The game runs at 60fps (1440x900) in this stage, and when it comes to bugs I have nothing to report other than what has already been mentioned.

16. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash

New Lenox, IL
    Generations Level (Experimenting)
    Runs pretty well on my PC :D
    Just wanted to say amazing job here, the only problems I have are the couple of camera oddities (shown in the video) and flickering water. Otherwise, it's great!

My specs:
    Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz
    Radeon HD 6970 (Upgrading to GTX 680 soon :D)
    12GB DDR3 @1600MHz
    2TB + 1TB Caviar Black

EDIT: Derp, here's the video - may be rendering for a bit:
    http://youtu.be/Cqwk-0hxClg

17. Falk

Falk

Weow, 1080p, 60fps AND in 3D, PC Generations is the best thing to happen to the franchise ever.

18. Melpontro

Melpontro

Working
    Runs really well for me, framerate never dropped below 60 when running at 1080p. My system is a Core i5 2500k at 4.3 GHz with a EVGA GTX 470 Superclocked. I took some 3300 x1830 resolution screenshots for anyone who cares. http://min.us/mStdPpgp6

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Offtopic for a second here, Oh hey nice to see ya!

Sorry man gotta rat you out here. Everyone say Hi to Melpontro, I'm sure you have seen his works on youtube mainly with Unleashed hacking and the Wave Ocean level mod for Generations.

Its great to see you come to Retro.

20. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll say that Generations lighting doesn't compare to Unleashed when you compare the models and see the lighting. Generations is much more brighter tone to it. While Unleashed has a nice softer tone. Still nice though either way.