don't click here

Sonic AYII

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, Mar 18, 2012.

1. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

I honestly prefer that this sprite uses the darker blue color scheme, since that's how you see Sonic in the artworks, that and blue with little saturation for the sprite just doesn't blends in for this. It doesn't has to be the same way of the previous sprite, it will look good as long as you keep it quite dark yet with a good contrast.

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    No team, just me listening to you lot :v:

So I made some small edits.
    I made the animation flow smoother, so the changes in direction don't snap as much, and I edited the last frame to a more 'angry and happy both at once' look.
    [​IMG]
    (ignore the ribbon's crappieness, it's just to help you lot visualize)

Gsuki:
    I made a compromise with the colours in my final one, but I'm not showing it here yet, because I've had enough of editing it now.

3. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    You've got the perfect sprite there, but the colouring is shit. Dull, washed out Sonic didn't look good in Sonic 2HD and it doesn't look good here. The title screen however is giving me serious wood indeed!

4. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner

That looks fantastic. If I could animate for shit, I would have rolled with a tiny bit more pizaz in the expression and flair. I always thought as the Sonic titles got bigger and better Sonic would be able to to give off a little more attitude, both in and out of gameplay. I'm not sure what exactly I would do with the animation here that wouldn't compromise the elegance of the "classic" simplicity though. Perhaps the place for that is if he animates after the four finger freeze frame. A fun idea I always had is that if you didn't press start after the opening jingle nears its end Sonic would break the forth wall and do something to mock/taunt the player ala Sonic CD's "IM OUTTA HERE." For example, me might get impatient and either start pointing at the "press start" option or make a face at the screen and jump back down his emblem hole.

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Ahh jasonchrist, I love the way you talk. (no homo)

I can certainty see your point, and he will have an animation like winking, hand waving and all that sort of crap, there won't be a single still frame.

And guess what, I was friggin' planning that if you don't press start!

6. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Seconding this. It would be hilariously awesome.

7. Lambda

Lambda

I've always thought it'd be cool if there was a long title song, and alittle ways into it Sonic would start to dance alittle, and then more, and then alot. Then he'd catch himself, give the player a "you didn't see that" look, and then go back to his original pose.

Just another little idea. Depends on how much animation Sonica wants to do!

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I don't want to be "that guy", but I really don't like the older look of that mock-up sprite. The way his third spike goes past his head and down to his upper-back is really weird.

At the risk of sounding like a pretentious weeaboo, why not try looking to Sonic CD OP/ED Sonic's style and try taking a few things from it?

Or maybe the style used in the artwork for Sonic Jam?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Possibility! Depends which one you would rather I rather go for.

Ayu Tsukimiya:
    http://info.sonicretro.org/images/7/73/SSS_SONIC28.png

Ok, please leave it. Please?

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Self-quoting makes me feel important. But it's not like this shit isn't a consistent and annoying problem around here. No wonder nothing ever gets completed. Sonica has no obligation to go with anything other than what he wants to do. I'm cool with that, I'd rather see something flawed-with-personality than something designed-by-committee. The latter tend to end up generic and without personality.

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Well, I didn't deliberately mean to quote you, but I do agree that I need to move on, so I am.

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I wasn't saying you did, but I get the feeling my post was lost amongst the bikeshed shit that happens here. I'm sick of it; and really want to see "Sonic 4 as Sonica made" over "Sonic 4 as the community slowly came to a shit consensus about". Please do your thing, and I'll love you. ;)

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Oh I see, sorry, I just remembered what self quoting means :specialed:

The "as you imagined it" was originally a piss take of Ken, but I realised it was a pretty cool name, but it's still just a personal fan game. I'm going to stop posting incomplete art because I feel that's my part of the problem.

Instead, carry on with the ol' suggestions or the shields, moves, and levels... you know. Very soon I'll be collecting up the best of these ideas and finalizing a 'plan', because I'm afraid can't suit everyone.

14. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Sorry, didn't mean to keep the nitpicking going on.

What other characters are going to be in this, by the way?

15. DTX

DTX

A fellow w/a name fit for nary a man save himself Member
    Question (if it be allowed) concerning the title screen:

Are Miles & Knuckles planned to be animated onto the title screen as well? I thought it was worth mentioning as, even though they wouldn't necessarily need to be up there with Sonic or somewhere in the background, it might improve the overall appearance or suit the game better. Presentation can play an effective role in how appealing or engaging a game is (even if said game is already very engaging and appealing)!

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Well, I am planning on adding a character, so I would have to cram 4 character into he titlescreen... there's a possibility something might possess me to, but I'll probably be lazy like Sonic 3.

It is Sonic 4, anyway. :v:

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    They added one each game back when didn't they? And only one. Yeah, that would've happened. Here's my chance to suggest Static The Warthog. I don't have a picture, just the name. That counts for something, right? :P

Joke, by the way. I'm not the kind of person to suggest shit like this and spike-shields.

18. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I think it'd be best to just have Sonic as the main focus of the title screen, and maybe just hint at the other characters, or just not include them on the title screen and keep them as extras.

19. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    4th character? How about Shipwreck The Whale? or Bollocks The Badger?

20. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    So what exactly would a Sonic 4 entail? Is your goal like a bigger and better Sonic 2/3 or do you plan to try and add meaningful additions to the gameplay? Sonic's movesets cause a lot of polarized opinions and there really isn't much that has evolved beyond the few things he does now.

These are the obvious and integral moves in his arsenal.

Jumping
    Rolling
    Spindash

These are the other classic abilities for Sonic that have been used over the years but go back and forth.

Super Peel Out
    Super Spin (the invincible frames in Sonic 3's jump attack the name escapes me...)
    Shield Powers

And here are (some infamous) modern ones.

Light Speed Dash
    Airtricks - Advance
    Character Attacks - Advance
    Homing attack
    Boost
    Slide/Somersault
    Wisp powerups
    Tag team moves
    Double jump

And I'm sure I am forgetting a few things along the way.

I would imagine you are going to stick to the classic stuff for obvious reasons, but I wouldn't be afraid to try and add something unique or new. People love the peelout cause it looks cool, but it is a bit similar to the spindash minus the protection it provides. I would focus on making a distinction between the two so they are both unique and viable. It's all too easy to peelout into a roll and make the spindash obsolete. Perhaps the peelout charges faster but it's full charge is slower than a fully charged spindash or Vice Versa? Shield powers are fun too, but what other kind of shield powers could there be? The three basic ones cover a lot of ground already with double jumps, air charges, bounces, element proofing, ring attraction, and projectile repelling. Not sure where to go with new shields though.

For something new...hmm. Maybe look into what would have been in the past? Here's something from the Retro Wiki on Sonic X-treme:

None of those seem particularly interesting or unique (I think Sonic Battle actually had a ringtoss move), but abilities based on rings collected is an interesting concept that I haven't seen anyone explore. Sort of like what filling the boost bar does for the boost in Modern Sonic. This would make rings even more important than "get 1 to live" and actively collecting them would be a beneficial part of the gameplay. For some ideas I have tinkered with...

The rings fill a bar and each action takes a cut of the bar away, like the Unwiished boost gauge. This allows for some dynamics in the moveset with a requirement and drive to earn them without being able to spam or abuse them like the Episode 2 tag roll seems to be.

Perhaps one of these beneficial moves would be the ability to charge an aerial Spindash/Peelout to let loose instantly on the ground that could only be performed after collecting x amount of rings (directly stolen from Sonic's Brawl moveset).

How about a move that expends the entirety of the bar, but after Sonic is hit and loses his rings lets sonic jump up and spin in place for a moment which would suck back in some of the escaping rings?

If there are enemies that take more than a few hits to entirely destroy, there could be a power move that will 1 hit KO them provided you have enough of the bar filled to do it.

The super spin move would deplete some of the bar on use but acts like Sonic's neutral aerial in Brawl that expands his hitbox and makes him invincible for those frames.

Maybe you can achive something like super momentum in the Advance titles that will actively drain the bar when it activates but you have to earn the original momentum to do it first?

Now I'm just talking out my ass with these, but I have always felt a high amount of Rings should contribute more of an importance to Sonic than being the token collectible and bonus stage entry fees.

Speaking of Bonus stages...every single iterative sonic title built some sort of unique bonus challenge. Something to think about would be how a true Sonic 4 would handle an entirely new stab at bonus stuff. I always like what Chaotix did with the acid trip hexigon tubes for example. Something derivative of that could be fun as hell.

Switching gears...its like I said before. I would add more personality to Sonic's in game animations. An easy example would be changing or varying his sprites and movements in different contexts. Examples like if Sonic stands still after getting hit and losing all his rings, his idle animation has him panting and looking tuckered out. If something like a chase gimmick pops up in an act were a boulder is chasing him, Sonic has an animation where he look back for a second at the thing before turning back looking a bit concerned. Maybe in the final zones he adopts a more serious expression knowing this is the pivotal climax of his adventure or something small like that. It would be a lot more effort, maybe wasted even, but I find that it's the little details that stand out.