don't click here

Sonic CD (2011) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Really, the only bug I really want fixed is the "vertical conveyors don't trigger time travel" oversight in Quartz Quadrant, since otherwise I didn't really notice any outstanding bugs. (Also, I think that "crusher at the bottom" thing from Wacky Workbench was incorrect; they do move, just only if you come at them from the left. Not sure if that's how they operated in the original, but I'll assume it was.)

Although, question: the big launcher thing at the beginning of WW2 - doesn't that go back to its original position once it's launched you? It didn't when I played it on the Android version...

2. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    SEGA really should have let Taxman release a private preview for the community to test. Look at all the SEGA management and QA people that are listed in the credits, and yet all these problems exist. All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Sonic together again.

With all that said, I don't know if I'm just lucky but I haven't run into any major glitches while playing the Android version. The only thing I noticed was the springs in front of item boxes.

3. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Got two glitches pertaining to rings.

The first being an extra life flag issue: if you have over 100 or 200 rings, then switch time periods, then collecting one ring will immediately net you an extra life. If you have over 200, then getting a second ring nets you another extra life. You can keep switching time periods at your leisure and keep getting extra lives.

The second happens in a Special Stage, easiest way (Or at least the way I found to replicate it) was Special Stage 6. There are two hazards set next to a bumper, running over the hazard and into the bumper makes you lose all your rings in an instant. This is probably how it is in the original, however, if you try to obtain more rings from remaining UFOs, the rings counter stays at 000, possibly because the actual ring counter has gone down to 0. Keep in mind, taking damage from hazards normally doesn't cause this glitch to happen.

Also, on the Android version, I frequently get "Sorry - Can't Play this Video" error messages when the game tries to play the video file. If I run them through a media player on the phone they run fine. Any idea what causes that?

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member

@13:45, XBLA Stardust Speedway Act 1, freak teleportation.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Now that you mention it, the priorities for the moth badniks in Collision Chaos and the sparkles they spread are also inverted (they should seamlessly appear from behind the moth's sprite). A very minor thing, I know, but those could be related.

6. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Dude, a new game engine was written from scratch and plays damn near identically to the original game. Something about that tells me someone was definitely doing some testing, be it Taxman or SEGA's testers. And since when would a company like SEGA crowdsource their bug testing to the fanbase? That just makes no sense. You make it sound like the game is so broken that it's unplayable. Seriously?

This thread makes me sick. Looks like Retro can never be happy. Vangar is right: this isn't a fan game, where patches can be released willy-nilly left and right. Updates have to be approved in app stores. People are getting paid to write updates. This game isn't hacked together in someone's free time to run on one little Genesis emulator on someone's computer; it needs to run on multiple platforms and dozens of devices (in the case of Android handsets) and comply with multiple app store requirements (and that goes for updates too). Yes, I agree that some game-breaking things should be fixed (Android sound and download issues), but suggestions like "animation x is too fast" or "this graphic is 4 pixels off" that have no effect on gameplay or don't give someone an unfair advantage on leaderboards seem like non-issues to the game's main audience. Who here has thrown their controller down and shut off the game in absolute disgust at the sight of a badnik that has the wrong palette? NOT ME.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    PicklePower, I think you're severely misunderstanding the point of this thread. Taxman expressed an interest in learning of any issues present with the game and this thread was created specifically to fulfill that need. The only thing that seems to make you upset is that people can find so many flaws with it despite everything that's right about it. Bear in mind that these issues—as well as acknowledgements of their existence—will only ever affect you if you allow them to. If you enjoy the game as it is, that's awesome! Seriously, more power to you. That doesn't mean that it's completely infallible or bug-free, though, and that's something worth going into and making an effort to spread awareness towards its creator on.

I think another thing worth clarifying is that acknowledging problems with a product does not equate to dubbing it unplayable or even bad in any way. Issues are issues; they're completely separate from how much you do or don't enjoy something. This is why it always confuses me when people like you get so upset with these kinds of topics; I like to think it's pretty clear that people aren't saying "THIS GAME IS SHIT" in response to some serious, actual game-breaking issues. Keep that in mind when people decide to post in this thread expressing their concerns and observations.

Finally, keep in mind that Taxman is perfectly capable of telling people himself to stop reporting bugs if he feels it will be of no benefit to him or the project itself.

As for the suggestions people are making, I think it's important to A) Realize that a few people expressing opinions does not equate to "Sonic Retro" on the whole and that B) Preferences are subjective and will always be expressed sentiments when it comes to any game. Don't act like we're special and don't act like people are awful for doing it. Taxman can take and leave whatever he wants from this; he's a sentient being and is perfectly capable of making informed decisions given the context of his position.

8. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

The only thing on this game which is different from the original is the slightly slower Special Stage controls that Sonic has- this actually makes it a lot harder but still entirely do-able, and as such, I feel this should actually be left. I beat the original easily, so it was fun to have some higher difficulty in this release.

Fantastic job!

9. Fuelbi

Fuelbi

Ok so for some reason I was playing the game again on iOS and even though I managed to destroy every generator and hologram, and even got the good ending with the "You're too cool!" message at the end, I still didn't get the achievement on Game Center for getting all the holograms and generators

And the music went off again, which also came off when I was playing as Sonic and locked my phone when I paused it so I have no idea as to why that would happen again

10. MDave

MDave

Head Ninja Member
    North Wales
    BladeBattles - Indie PC game.
    Intro video dosn't play on my Samsung Galaxy S2. Ending video works fine though!

11. RACCAR

RACCAR

Dragon Team Member
    Madrid Spain
    Spiderhog, Sonic Ages, and Sonic Paradise
    Ok, this is pretty weird...

Remember that I said a few days ago that for unknown reasons my European PSN Sonic CD ran slower, like if it were 50 hz. I use an old CRT tv, non panoramic, with a RGB cable.

Well, I've finished the whole game like that, slow like if it were 50hz...

Well, to see if this is a bug or not, I downloaded the USA demo today, to see if the same happened or not. It didn't, the game ran perfectly fine, at 60 hz. I decided to re-buy it, this time the USA version... when I tried one last time the EUR one,and what a surprise! It ran fine too! I have no idea why this happens! I tried reseting my PS3 and trying EUR one again, deleting the USA demo, reseting... but the effect did not go away, the game fixed itself! This is the weirdest thing that has happened to me in my 20 years as a Sonic fan...

Was there any transparent patch released or something? Is it possible that my not so usual TV configuration might have done some strange bug and it got fixed downloading the USA version? or is this one of 2012 apocalypse signals? I don't know... and I think I'm falling into crazyness right now...

12. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Special stage music doesn't loop. Nobody will notice this unless they suck at the stage but still gets those UFO time boosters.

Still.

13. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Either the US Special Stage does loop or it's a damn long song :colbert:

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah we're talking about the Japanese song.

Welp, I downloaded it for the PS3. Hellz ya

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    PSN Wacky Workbench Act 1 Good Future: Wanted to start the stage over from the beginning, so tried to kill myself with the electric thingies. Sonic's death animation stops here, and stays here until Time Over, where he falls back onto the same spot, preventing me from exiting to the menu.
    [​IMG]

16. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Suggestion for the PS3 version: allow Remote Play. That would please the PSP and Vita users alike.
    That's a simple matter of setting a flag in the PARAM.SFO file to allow this, no other changes necessary.

17. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Just played the trial version off PSN. The game plays well, the only issue I had is with the Sonic CD dpindash setup. In the original, if you were charging a peelout, you could quickly press down and turn it into a charged spindash. If that was fixed up, I'd find this game to be a perfect remake/remaster.

18. After travelling to the past, I got stuck in a wall. Jumping got me out.

[​IMG]

Swimming into this fan's, uh, wind(?) as Tails caused my to get stuck in a weird loop I couldn't get out of until I drowned.

[​IMG]

Instead of crushing me to death, this thing just pushed me through the ceiling. Jumping got me out.

[​IMG]

Encountered some weird stuff when flying on/around this cork thing. Wasn't able to get a screenshot of any of it however.

[​IMG]

Don't know if this is intentional or not, but Tails swims through the air bubbles around Robotnik here. Only jumping into them allows him to gulp them.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Don't know if this is of any importance, but all of these comes from playthroughs using the Sonic CD spindash.

And this should go without saying, but I guess I should emphasize this anyway. As is most likely the case with others here, I am pointing out these nitpicks in order to lend whatever assistance I can towards the continued improvement of a project that the developer clearly put a lot of love and care into. It would probably be much more offensive and quite belittling to claim that the port is perfect and that there are absolutely no flaws that can improved upon. That being said, I absolutely love this port of Sonic CD, and I hope Taxman made lots and lots of money working on it, because he deserves it.

19. WikiLeon

WikiLeon

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    Is it me, or does Tails not get an ending sequence? It only played the credits that runs from the main menu.

20. Playing the PS3 version, my favorite time traveling location in Tidal Tempest wouldn't work. Please excuse the crappy iPod cam.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ezxjLSvjg[/youtube]

I was doing this for a while before I thought to record it, hence the timer popping up and me cutting the video short.