don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbohog

Turbohog

Agreed; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a worse voice. You must be mad to edit a gameplay video for so long for a game that's out in 2 weeks just since you didn't want to hear Webber's "faggy voice".

2. Shade

Shade

I've downloaded the demo off of the European PSN. Initial Impressions:

[​IMG]

This is it, Beavis.

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Thanks for telling us to read that description. Now I know you're an asshole and I hope you don't get approved once your trial ends.

4. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQf8VjjaO1w[/youtube]

They're finally gonna score.

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    It was an ill advised application of his time, but I for one am glad to have a video excluding Aaron's faggy voice. Very impressive!

6. I hope each character gets a theme song again. That had to be one of the greatest things about older Sonic games that has been missing recently.

7. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Aaron's faggy voice makes my crotch tingle, so I rather like it.

8. TheBalishChannel

TheBalishChannel

A skull raft, nothing below me but boiling lava.
    Sonic The Hedgehog 1 / CD Sonic sprites & pallete in Sonic The Hedgehog 2, no Tails.
    lol, I suppose the description went a little too far. The description was mainly done as a joke, considering my videos have always been controversial, yet this one was not. I will admit though, I have had a strong dislike for Aaron Webber ever since he proclaimed that Nintendo never donated a penny to the Japan Earthquake relief, and proceeded to say, "SEGA does what Nintendon't." I find that to be pretty damn douchey...

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    SEGA always does what Nintendon't.

10. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I've been throwing dollars at my laptop screen for a while now.

SEGA may do many things Nintendon't. But they both sure know how to MAKE IT RAIN MAKE IT RAIN.

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    On the one hand, perhaps. On the other hand, you're calling someone out for telling a somewhat douchey joke right after defending your own douchey joke. I find that to be pretty damn hypocritical.

That said, it's cool to have a video which at least feels like a no-strings-attached gameplay video, since I've heard all of the commentary already anyway. Just be advised that however you might feel about the man, a lot of us 'round here consider him to be cool peoples. So "encouraging" us to read the description as if you were expecting us all to share a hearty guffaw over it was bound to backfire.

*Back on topic:

Now that I've had more time to fool around with the demo, I do think the trick system is a bit unintuitive and finicky. It's not really important by any stretch of the imagination—as long as you cash out with a FINISH! before you land, you're bound to get enough boost to run on—but it is slightly annoying. A step up from Colors's "mash A to get more air" system, but not by a whole lot.

Also—and I didn't think I'd say this—but I'm finding the lack of an on-screen score kind of refreshing. Not having anything to worry about except rings and time just makes everything so much simpler. No Wisp-bonus-hoarding, no urge to smash every robot in sight for the point boost... yeah, just go fast and pick up a lot of shiny things. Save the bells and whistles for the challenge missions. Works for me.

12. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    How do you Finish out combos?

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Press LB and RB together, or on the PS3, press L1 and R1 together.

14. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    The idea behind the combo system is to get as many "combo" tricks (with the left and right sticks) as you can before "cashing out" at the end with the "FINISH" trick, which ends the combo with the SA1 pose. The Finish pose gets a massive boost bonus, but since there's no limit to how much Boost you can gain through tricks (it fills it past the actual gauge's limit), you get the most out of it if you get a long combo of "littler" bonuses before cashing out.

Something you'll mostly make use of during subsequent runs through a stage, as you sometimes don't know when you're going to land until you actually do.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnUgeEGstDU

This really is an anniversary title!

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    More on the PC port of Virtua Tennis 4 (which was done by Devil's Details):
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31979256&postcount=423

Besides there not being many graphics options, it seems like they're capable of making a decent PC port.

17. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    As soon as I got home yesterday, I played the shit out of the demo. Both acts were fun and amazing for me. Classic Sonic made me feel like I was playing a Genesis-era game for the first time again, and Modern Sonic gave me such a rush every time I played it. I didn't have any button lag, and the load times where hella improved since the June 23rd demo and the Giga.de video. All in all, I just can't wait for the Tuesday after next.

ALSO: Is SEGA just hiding all these assets on purpose as a sort of treasure trove for those who hack into the demo's data?

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

More likely they're just too lazy to take it all out when they throw together the demo builds. Well, I'd rather the time they'd take to do that go into polishing up the game itself, anyway, but I imagine it does kinda inflate the demo's filesize somewhat.

19. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    So I played the demo with a Street Fighter pad.

2D section is a little bit better. It makes going into a roll a lot easier.
    3D section is playable, but not completely. I wouldn't recommend it.

...There's my two cents.

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I noticed the other day that in the caves at the end of Act 1, it's really hard to roll after hitting those halfpipe springs. Are all springs automated, and not just the vertical ones? However, the rolling does seem a little easier to pull off, but...I'm starting to regret buying this transforming D-Pad controller. Sure, it's really pretty, and the D-Pad is a little better for 2D games, but it just doesn't feel very precise with Generations. I found myself fighting with the D-Pad to make him roll when it was less of a hassle with the analog stick. Seriously. I'm not the only one with this issue am I?

On another note, I've played Act 2 a BUNCH, and I'm finally settled in with the controls. I found that when you hit a rainbow trick ring, you can start pulling off tricks as soon as the sound effect goes off. I usually find myself doing an up, down, left, right combo (I'm sure you have as well), and it seems you need to hold it in a direction until he starts his animation before pressing in another direction. The trick system feels a little clunky overall, but I like it. Takes about as much getting used to as separate Boost and Homing attack after extensive Unleashed play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.