don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I still believe in Sonic 2HD

That is all.

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    [​IMG]
    Hmm...

Only joking, I know you're working on it.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    And here I thought you'd have your hands full with the Sonic 3 project Sonica. :v: Yes, I've checked it out. It's an... interesting start. Best of luck to you and your team.

Jokes aside, thanks for the support guys.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Heh, thanks. I'm waiting to see how it evolves as I'm not as involved as I was, due to other things *cough*. Thus being able to create that sleeping sonic presented before you.

5. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
  6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That's good news. Hope to see some new art for Hill Top Zone (especially how creative the team has been with the lava if started yet) and the Special Stages soon.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Awwwwwwwwww...

I thought it was a visual update.

Anyway, that is some good news there.

8. ancara

ancara

I'm not one to bump a thread, but.......yeah. :v:

Anything new happen yet with this whole project since the last update?

I'm starting to wonder if the Alpha's release date is in Valve Time.......j/k. :v:

Hopefully the Alpha comes out soon enough, because at the rate time passes, who knows when it will.

9. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Some pretty great things have, yeah. Unfortunately, what's great to us isn't what would be considered interesting to most others as they're all programming hurdles that have been thorns in our side for weeks/months up until this last week. All I can say right now is that in just the past week we've seen two major breakthroughs and we're hoping that in a matter of weeks we'll have some special news to talk about. I'm not making any promises, but things are looking very good lately.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Hey....I like "uninteresting" updates as much as the next guy.

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I know I'm just being completely dumb here, but couldn't you have just copy-and-pasted the coding that makes the physics from Sonic 2, directly into S2HD? I suppose this is a completely different 'language' to what S2 was using, but 'tis a shame it's never as simple as that though.

*edit* oops, didn't mean this to be the very top post of the next page <.<;

12. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Growler, that was almost exactly what was done with the tech demo three years ago. We'd already planned to upgrade the physics to those utilized in Sonic 3, and, once full 360 degree rotation was added to the sprite, it just made more sense to have a system in place that fixed all the original bugs present in Sonic 2. Quite a bit of time has gone into tweaking the engine and the level collision to make sure that the game 'feels' the same as the original.

For those who missed the recent Facebook update, the atrocious wait for a playable demo will be coming to an end well before the end of this year. I'll be more specific once we're more certain.

13. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Not sure if you guys want an HD Sonic Retro screen for this, or if you have one already, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1wWaR8KYKs. The AVI is available, as well as each individual frame of animation.

14. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    If you can send me all the individual frames in transparent .pngs that'd be perfect, Thanks!

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Transparent, no, as they aren't :P Black backgrounds all 'round~ PM'd all frames (bar the fade in/out, obviously)

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Just thought I'd throw this your way Cinossu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=82SFnAYbSGI&annotation_id=annotation_747631&feature=iv&v=27Lms34NMRo

Go to about 40 seconds and you'll see a JP Sonic 1 Sonic doing a finger wave animation for a commercial. Perhaps you could take some hints from that for the HD animation of the logo.

17. A few suggestions:

1. Alternate Special Stages:

I didn't post this in the special stage thread because it's different from the special stages that are in Sonic 2. I've always thought that Sonic shouldn't step away from its regular gameplay with fake 3D (even though Sonic 2's Special Stages are the only exception for me.) I think Giant Rings should appear at the end of stages a la Sonic 1/Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Sonic/Tails/Knuckles gets warped to a level that's a Doc Robot esque version of one of Sonic 2's levels (Doc Robot is a reference to the Megaman 3 levels that were harder versions of previous levels in the game) then they have to reach the end to get to an emerald. It's that simple...except the levels are harder. This shouldn't replace the normal special stages. It should be included with them imo. Also, I thought about suggested these levels be alternate versions of Sonic 3 & Knuckles levels but I'm guessing that's understandably out of the quesion.

2. Tails:

Please give the kid a "rev" button for his flying. Think Super Peelout/spin dash but for flying. Having repeatedly mash a button for Tails to fly up faster has always been annoying. I simply want to be able to hold down a button so he can "charge up" his tails and then release it and be able to fly fast in any direction. Problem solved.

Maybe have a Tails be able to use his Tails as a propellor underwater. Not much of an idea, just throwing that out there.

3. Knuckles:

Climb and glide faster.

4. Higher density of flying enemies:

I loved that in Green Hill Zone. After that, enemies became an ineffective obstacle for Sonic. It's kind of hard to hurt the fastest character in your world when you're moving back and forth for two feet.

5. Longer floating platforms:

Maybe this is the wrong project for this, but I think how Sonic has to be slowed done by platforms that are roughly the same size as any other game that has them is a negative. He should be able to have some rows of long floating platforms where he can build up enough speed to run and jump far and fast through the air in between them. That's better than being forced to have nothing but slow paced, precision platforming like any other game in the genre.

6. Some levels have 3 main paths:
    I've always loved Green Hill Zone's underground path and Aquatic Ruin's upper level. Assuming that levels won't just be getting a graphical upgrade, I think some levels should have well defined upper, middle and lower areas. Meaning that Sonic, etc. can run through an underwater section, high up section, etc., without having to go to the middle of level before the end of the zone. The sections should basically be cut off from each other except for gaps, springs, etc. that the player can choose to use throughout these paths.

18. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    They aren't going to stray too far from the original in terms of physics and how characters perform things.
    And I think that the levels will be the same too unless they have to change.

19. Thanks.

Another thing: One thing that annoyed me in the Sonic games is not being to spin when you hit a spring. If you fly into/land on enemies, there was nothing you could do. I think the player should be able to press down while in spring animation to curl into a ball (and keep his momentum) so that Sonic won't be left defensive.

20. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Forgive me for being pushy but any hint as to when the Alpha release is happening? I only question it because we are months past Q1 2011 now and the explanation at the time was that it was only a small issue that made you miss the initial projected date. Realistic timeframe on the Alpha?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.