don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

We're not lowering our standards at all. We're simply claiming this is the best game ever because the very presence of Classic Sonic makes it such. It is good game regardless of how it compares to the classic titles (and let's not forget that the modern gameplay is supposed to be something else entirely). The amount of scripted events in this games, the botched rolling and heavy jump all bother me amongst other things, but ultimately they don't damage the product that much. The level design has so far proven to be very fun, the visuals are wonderful and the soundtrack is as good as ever. Even the presentation of Generations is leaps and bounds ahead of what previous games have had.

You're only an "awful person" if you want to go about dismissing everything that isn't a 1:1 recreation of the original titles. You don't have to like it at all, but are you seriously telling me that there's nothing in Generations (either version) that you can appreciate? That's the impression I've gotten from your posts here. It's very easy to see something that doesn't live up to your standards and call it shit if you want to play the jaded-fan card. My standards for any type of Sonic gameplay are higher than what Generations gives us, but it's a bloody good contender.

EDIT: Reply if you like, but I'll mirror what Azukara is doing and do my bit to end this cycle of arguing now. I'm not gonna say anything else on the matter.

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    You're not a 'horrible person' for disliking the game, or concept. But it's not very great that you're practically insulting people who see the quality and effort in this game, and telling them they'll consume anything because they don't have as high of standards as you! But with that, it's time to drop this and move on and, like Namo said, not start this routine again.

A fun game is fun is fun is fun is fun. I support the fixings of little nitpicky things but in the end I don't care if it looks and plays great. And from what I'm seeing, this looks and plays great, in fact much greater than my expectations were for this. Stages are gorgeous, gameplay department is pressing (almost) every right button, continuity is being built, music is great as always, and both press and public are also loving the crap out of this game. I'm seeing this game go nowhere but up, honestly.

EDIT: Geez my post is basically Namo's and Blue Blood's put in a blender. :v:

3. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Keep that torch lit, Greg. I could only run so far.

Back to whining about the game.

Maybe the issue is not so much the nitpicky things people can point out, but rather the game's concept itself. The idea of 'Sonic Team' thinking they can take so much varying Sonic content and put it all together and get it all right seems flawed from the start. The way Sonic fans tend to focus on one set thing (ie: me and Classic Sonic) due to the variability in the franchise, it seems unavoidable that they are bound to get something wrong. This is especially compounded when one recalls that only a few years ago they were considered the equivalent to the 'special needs class'. So perhaps it is not logical at all to expect them to get anything 'right' and one should just settle with 'it mostly looks OK'. It is not an original game, after all, and it quite obviously presents itself as 'pieces of everything mashed together without flow'. It ends up with bits everyone can like, but one has to question if that small amount is worth trodding through the rest and paying the full price for this game. If someone barely cares and just wants a light amount of 'fun' through, then they probably cannot see what others who like a specific aspect of the franchise are complaining about.

With that said, maybe for Classic Sonic they will have a real Sonic 4 coming with Episodes 2 and 3, perhaps even using an improved version of Classic Sonic in this game. And more hopefully, assuming this comes out at at least Sonic Colours quality, they can have a Sonic 5 out around 2012 or 2013.

And to further distinguish myself from Greg (you are still a good kitty, though!), my issue is more with the overall 'feel' I get from the game, not it being accurate in every aspect. I just do not get enough of it with what I am seeing and it gets irritating that they opened up the opportunity to do Classic Sonic correctly, then decided to 'half-ass' it by mixing it with Unleashed gameply and 'Modern (2000s) Sonic'. Again it comes down to game concept rather than execution or small details.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually I wasn't really bringing up how that game was gold coated with diamonds, that'd be silly to say (I actually do agree with some of his points, I just feel like he was a bit harsh maybe. I just don't see how the game could get any lower then like a 5 or 6 or something since on all accounts it's not a bad game. 3.5 just seems a bit drastic). I'm saying how he thinks that Dimps does a better job then Sonic Team, and lately, that hasn't been the case. Say what you want about any of these games, but PS360 Unleashed, Generations, and Colors were all better than Wii Unleashed, 3DS Generations, and Sonic 4. As for the fan games, yes Sonic Fan Remix does look smashing and has a nice set of physics to go along with it, however, none of these are ever finished. The only recent projects that have been finished by fans lately that have been any good were Sonic Axiom and Sonic Classic. Sonic Fan Remix was certainly nice, and Sonic Team could learn a lesson from them in the physics department at least, but at the end of the day, this is something for me to look forward to (notice how I said "for me" it can be a steamer for you if you want and that's fine but I'm going to go have fun with the game if that's alright with you) since I know that it'll actually come out one day.

Problem with fan games is that these are side projects that these people don't get paid for. It's these people's jobs to make the console games though. I mean, if I could ever see finished releases for games such as Sonic Megamix, Sonic Fan Remix, That Pana der heghg or whatever the fuck the spelling was, or Sonic 1 Extended Edition, I'd be a happy camper even if Sega never made a Sonic game again. But all I'm saying is it's been since 2006 the last time we saw a demo for Sonic 1 Extended Edition, and I'm not gonna hold my breath while the game continues to never come out.

I mean, maybe I am lowering my standards a bit, but the only thing I'm really lowering them in is classic Sonic's physics, and a couple of exclusions of some classic characters, at least IMO. The rest of the game looks great to me, and even if classic Sonic doesn't play exactly like he did back in Sonic 3 it doesn't particularly matter, since the game is still looks fun. I mean I still think Sonic Team has done some amazing things with this game so far. When I saw the leaked level list I was shitting my pants at how the level list consisted of almost nothing but GHZ knock offs and city levels. But once I actually saw these levels in motion I saw that they managed to make each level look unique and different, while still managing to give some nods to their original counterparts.

Granted however, I am part of the special class of fans who likes both Modern and classic Sonic gameplay. This game basically caters to my every want and desire. This is not the case for a lot of you, and fear not, I don't think they'll use this approach again in the future. I think they wanted to find a good way not only to look back at the past 20 years of Sonic, but let other fans try the different side of the series, since they're a lot of classic fans who have never tried modern Sonic gameplay, and similarly they're a lot of modern fans that have never tried classic Sonic gameplay. It's a sampler platter of a game. Lot's of random shit thrown together so they can show people what they got.

5. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I'd prefer theat mixed in with the Sonic 2 final boss theme at the appropriate spots. but only because I'm already humming it.

6. The Genesis games weren't THAT great.

There I fucking said it.

Admins? Moderators? You readin' this? Fucking ban me for saying this if you need to. The original games were good, they were fun, they were a thing of their time. But that's exactly it, they're a thing of THEIR TIME. We don't need to keep bitching over what's essentially a series of early 90's games about an anthropomorphic hedgehog and his fellow animal buddies.

Are you guys gonna literally cry like Rich Kuta just because the series isn't as you imagined it? just because Sonic has GREEN FUCKING EYES? Stop bitching, if you're not interested because it's not exactly like your precious quadrilogy, then stop following it. Play something else for christs sake.

There I'm done.

7. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    >Implying our complaints are minor.

You want me to bitch about Retro Tails being the wrong colour? Do you want to me to moan that animals don't come out of Badniks? Look, I've been focusing on them bettering their gameplay. If you have a problem with that, then you are way too easily pleased. Same goes for all the rest of you who are saying this exact same thing in the back of your minds.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Simply out of principle:

[​IMG]

9. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to accept a 90% accurate representation of something without lowering your standards.

My standards for Generations: Half a game that is fun to play and feels like the classics in terms of gameplay and overall "feel", with a second half that improves on a gameplay style I felt was incredibly fun to begin with.
    What I got: Half a game that is fun to play and feels like the classics in terms of gameplay and overall "feel", with a second half that improves on a gameplay style I felt was incredibly fun to begin with.

Boy, I sure am an adiot for having such low standards! :v:

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'm a fan of both the 3D and 2D games, and don't really distinguish much between the two. They both play like similar games, though the 3D stages being more linear more often is a bit of a difference. If you're a fan of games, you'll understand that products, technology and games series can and will evolve, and this also includes Sonic. Unfortunately we're a community which tends to try and stick our nose in to a bigger situation than we think. We're a tiny community compared to the overall target audience of Sonic, and we're often setting things up and going ahead of ourselves.

An example, I don't mind, and I don't expect exact MegaDrive physics. Things move on, we don't need those physics- they're fine for the MD and GBA games, but they're similar enough. I also can't fault SEGA for how they're handling the game, and we make out like SEGA are the only company who can't please 100% of thier fanbase like they're doing something wrong, and I think SEGA think that too. Genuinely, the year 2006 was awful, and Sonic's been diluted by spin-offs, but the series has picked up and recovered. Truthfully, we need to move on and just talk about the game, not the corporate side, and certainly not keep making assumptions about how S-Team and Dimps work.

Lastly, the only full solo fangame to be finished is Sonic Classic. Until we really bring out another full game to trump SEGA's offering, I think we should pipe down

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You should try Sonic Axiom. It's a very good Sonic CD 2 of sorts

12. Ceejus

Ceejus

Can someone who has that 30 minute leaked video message me? I work crazy hours and was unable to watch it. From what a friend of mine has told me, I am now desperate to see it.

13. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Oh, you bickering scamps.
    I think I'll just start getting my updates from retro's front page instead of sifting through posts like the past 2 pages.

14. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    You are the exact reverse of Greg the Cat now. Congratulations!

I am trying to make my opinion on this game more neutral now, but...

I can only hope the final game differs on this. Certain basic, fundamental aspects are expected.

Edit: does anyone think they will even have the capsules at the end now? I never thought about it before since I never played much of the demo. This is a very iconic visual from the classic games and even Sonic 4 had the animals coming out of Badniks.

15. dsrb

dsrb

And Sonic: Time Twisted, which takes inspiration from SCD as its title suggests, is on the way and looks like it could be good (and have good physics…)

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Good God, what a hero. <3

I'm happening to really like the idea of staying on the front page for updates on stuff. In other news, still excited and optomistic for this game. 'Lower standards' be consarned.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Damn, I thought you guys would be talking about Sonic Generations.

18. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    For fucks sake, some people like the game, some don't, let's leave it at that.

I have the collector's edition preordered. I am expecting to enjoy the majority of the game. However, I know it won't be flawless, no game ever is. I can already see from the gameplay footage that there will be the usual level design issues which have been present since SA1. I also really dislike some of the remixes.

19. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion

20. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Can't catch me ya bastard! Member
    Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    Just Sonic fans doing what they do best, bitching. Whether about the games or others bitching about the games, its gotta be something. Though I have to wonder if Sonic 4 or Generations ever would have happened if SEGA didnt listen to said bitching in the first place.

And now back to your regularly schdduled bitching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.