don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wow, one of those malls is really, really close to where I live. I'm totally hitting that shit up....

If I remember by then.

2. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Didn't Sega Spain already confirm it?

3. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I don't know, I'm taking Sega Spain announcements with a grain of salt, but an extremely small one. Who knows, maybe communication is so bad between the multiple branches that a message to keep quiet on a PC port didn't get all the way through. Besides, we've got a lot of evidence this far pointing to one - the Steam entry especially.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Full ONM interview with Iizuka about the 3DS version: http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/29335/sonic-generations-interview/

Wait what?

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I think he may be referring to multiplayer matches, unless I'm missing something there.

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
  7. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    But the whole point of my idea is to disregard the original tile-based graphics and render the scene in 3D, with a (more-or-less) fixed 2D perspective, positioning the objects by snooping in 68k RAM. There's a lot you can do when you can specialize the emulator to function with one specific ROM. All 3D objects would be created by hand, not converted from tilemap data.

Think of it like if someone remade a classic movie using the original scripts but with the capabilities of modern technology.

8. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Ah, I see what you're saying. So you mean all the art would just be custom level art, but the physics, collision and such would all come from the emulator?

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
  10. LocalH

LocalH

Physics, collision, and all internal engine logic. The whole point of it being driven by emulation is that you don't have to worry about accuracy to the original physics and object behavior, because everything is actually being driven by the original game logic. The 3D engine grafted on top of it can do a ton of stuff smoother or better because it can have access to the entire game state at all times. Input could just be passed the same as any other emulator. The only VDP facilities you'd really need would be interrupts so the game logic would run at the correct speed. Sound could be handled via partial Z80 emulation (presence of Z80 RAM may be sufficient to snoop the requested music tracks and sound effects and replace with newer ones if desired (or use original sfx and remade music).

11. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    So! How's everybody's best times coming along. Here's mine, in modern Green Hill:

[​IMG]

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Wait what

How did you get the Modern demo? Is it up?

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    No, it's just possible to hack the demo into running in a different mode. It's been discussed many, many pages back.

14. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Wait, so why aren't Sonic Team just doing this? Is it because it would take too much effort, or just incompetency on their part? And I mean like, hypothetically, obviously they can't NOW..right?

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    There isn't a single person left on the dev team who knows how the M68000 functions, for one.

16. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Yeah that's what I thought.

Tch, shame, that.

17. TheBalishChannel

TheBalishChannel

A skull raft, nothing below me but boiling lava.
    Sonic The Hedgehog 1 / CD Sonic sprites & pallete in Sonic The Hedgehog 2, no Tails.
    I noticed an overuse of speed-boosters on the long dips in Classic Chemical Plant. Here we go again with SEGA trying to hide the butchered physics with an overabundance of speed-boosters/speed-panels.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    This is Chemical Plant.

It's like.....the one level where using a lot of speed boosters is ok. We have played the demo, and we know the physics, save rolling, are pretty good.

19. LocalH

LocalH

That's why they need to hire some of us =P

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    From a game development standpoint, snooping RAM values and emulation hacks aren't friendly to artists and designers at all. When you consider that games today often have artists that also do some scripting on the side, the quality of development tools is crucial.

The Sonic gameplay isn't so unique that it requires emulation, it just requires an understanding of the underlying algorithms that are used in the various states of Sonic's gameplay. I think people often get so caught up in the mindset that "IT HAS TO BE 1:1 code" that they ignore the vast amounts of potential for new things with today's technology (new stage gimmicks and effects, 2.5D mechanics etc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.