don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh ho ho, I can tell you haven't been around this fanbase long.

Prepare young one to be grilled in every aspect on just why the 3DS version sucks.

Anyway care to grill?...

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think some of the animations are used actually. I'm sure I remembered seeing Crabmeat's victory dance in Aquarium Park. More to the point though, that would make sense. Badniks were quite randomly redesigned and reused in Colours after S4 had just done the same, but now we know that those same designs are being used in Generations. Is there anything else to further suggest a connection? This is really interesting.

3. gold lightning

gold lightning

The big problem is that the 3ds version seems like its an even shittier version of Sonic 4. I mean not only do we see uncurling in Classic Sonic's levels, but there isn't a homing attack there this time. That means that if you launch yourself off a ramp you'll be in a freefall with no means of protection or attack. It also seems to suffer from all the problems that plague Sonic 4 (wrong momentum, nerfed rolling, etc...). Not to mention Green Hill looked graphically unpleasing and had bad slowdown issues.

The console version, however, looks like it has some damn effort put into it. And while its not perfect, it looks like they are at least trying to do their best. The console version looks like it will be an overall pleasant experience

Dimps on the other hand doesn't seem to be trying at all. I mean, they litterally did a copy/paste job of Green Hill Zone Act 1 and applied it to a game engine that has already been found to be incompetant in terms of recreating the classic Sonic experience. They also (from what we've already seen) have made no fixes to the engine.

tl;dr Dimps is lazy.
    There, I'm done with my pointless rant.

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Enemy/Character animation file names are the same between the games as well. But are you sure you got Crabmeat to do his victory dance in Colours? I tried nearly 100 times after I found the animation, and all he does for me is sit there when I let him hit me. I tried both 3D and 2.5D areas.

5. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    For being pointless, it was pretty sharply defined.

Obviously the 3DS version isn't quite as exciting to look at as the console version, but as with Sonic 4, I wouldn't say it looks absolutely abysmal, I'd just say it looks fairly decent. The Heroes-style Special Stages I was never a fan of, but only for the wonky controls and because it's yet another rendition of Sonic 2's special stage. It's not to say it can't ever be fun. I don't really have much of a problem with the visuals, but I suppose it could use some more detail.

Classic GHZ Act 1 on the 3DS was unusually short given what it's based off of, and the jump is considerably more floaty than in Sonic 4. I hear the handling is otherwise similar to Sonic 4 in that it's not as smooth as the classic Genesis games, but now perhaps worse so than Sonic 4. Modern GHZ looks to have a different feel to it than previous GHZ iterations, what with you riding up successive J ramps to higher ground (or maybe it was just 2) and occasionally going with the Unleashed 3D-perspective camera. The new sound effects for the air-dash felt nice and welcome, and the boost has that satisfying BOOM to it, but there were several instances where you air-dashed when you should have done a homing attack and ended up getting hit. Not fun. Other than that, Modern's gameplay is very boomy, flashy, and takes some more cinematic flairs with the 2D perspective than the Classic segment, like shooting towards and away the screen for a few brief instances, so there's that.

I can't really bring myself to say it's terrible, but it may turn out to be disappointing like Sonic 4. Then again we only know of two zones that will be on that version, so who knows?

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm very sure I've seen something like it Colours. Could be wrong however. I'll go double check.

EDIT: Hm, must've been mistaken. I can't seem to get the animation at all. Ah well. I wonder else there may be though.

7. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    If the 3DS version was completely free of design flaws, it wouldn't matter. It's impossible to play a game like this with a framerate as wildly unstable as the 3DS version has; of all its flaws, that is greatest because it completely wrecks precise timing.

8. IcePak

IcePak

I just discovered what the stage selection choices are, and apart from three, I'm disappointed. Further, why include levels from games that are available on current generation consoles? I think it would have been more appropriate to focus on the 2D games instead, or if some 3D levels were necessary, then only include them from games up to Sonic Heroes. That way you could have at least two selections from each game, giving players more variety and keeping a wider audience happier. Here's what I think would have been a more appropriate selection:

1. Sonic 1
    I. Green Hill Zone
    ii. Starlight Zone

2. Sonic 2
    I. Chemical Plant Zone
    ii. Mystic Cave Zone
    iii. Sky Chase & Winged Fortress Zones (since its one continuous sequence)

3. Sonic CD
    I. Tidal Tempest Zone
    ii. Stardust Speedway Zone

4. Sonic 3
    I. Marble Garden Zone
    ii. Icecap Zone

5. Sonic & Knuckles
    I. Lava Reef Zone
    ii. Sky Sanctuary Zone

6. Sonic Adventure
    I. Emerald Coast
    ii. Lost World

7. Sonic Adventure 2
    I. Green Forest
    ii. Pyramid Cave

8. Sonic Heroes
    I. Frog Forest
    ii. Hang Castle

9. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    but there is 17 levels there, all require seperate assets to be made for them, with that number of levels the game would take atleast another year to produce!

Also Why are you so suprised that modern sonic levels are in the game? When generations was announced it was said to be a celebration of sonic's last 20 years, which surprisingly includes levels from more recent games!

To me the level list just shows me that they are going for the more memorable levels from each game (not to say that other levels were less memorable)
    instead of going for level variety.

10. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Personally I think that the only thing that should be changed to the level selection is an omission to Seaside Hill, replacing it with like, Egg Fleet or something. Egg Fleet would be perfectly geared towards both the Modern and Classic playstyles, and the fact that there's no fleet or ship level in this game is abit odd.

11. Crazee

Crazee

I realize there's no way it wouldn't be included, but the only game that really bothers me in here in Unleashed.

The Classic Genesis levels are obviously new as Modern Sonic, but the Classic levels get a sleek HD makeover. You also get brand new level design, but really...HD classic levels are the selling point. In the Dreamcast levels, both Sonics get at an entirely new gameplay experience. Classic gets 2D de-makes , and Modern has new skills since the SA/Heroes era. . This is true of '06 as well, even though it classifies as a Modern game. '06 played nothing like Unleashed, so it will be interesting to see Crisis City in a game that actually works.

Unleashed and Colors are different, though. Classic Sonic hasn't explored these levels, so that will be new. Though, it could be argued that both games had 2D sections and therefore even Classic's levels will be rehashes. And Modern...well, these are levels he just ran through. Planet Wisp from Colors gets a pass from me, because we'll get to see that level in HD with better graphics. But Rooftop Run...that's the issue for me. It's just Rooftop Run Act ...6? I hope they do something unique with the level, like add an entirely new gimmick or feature. Maybe include night-time Spagonia in some way. This is why I wanted Eggmanland. Without the Werehog, it would have felt like an entirely new level.

I know Unleashed had to be represented if Colors was, I just wish we could have something else there. And I loved Unleashed.

12. Retroman

Retroman

I feel abit let-down by some decisions (like SU rooftop run, SC Planet Whisp, lack of more levels) but It won't be an issue if the game is already well done. I would love Quartz Quadrant also, maybe the past version with the branches in the sea being part of the level as a sequence... Heck, I would really like all Sonic cd levels to be there, I would be very happy for those as-well! (If not, as DLC and addons being released over the months/years)

October, come sooner!

13. RhikoruNa

RhikoruNa

Your next line is, "Hey, I recognize that Joestar Member
    Hello SonicRetro, glad to be a Trial Member and looking forward to discussion and contribution! ^.^

I remember reading a while back into the thread (unless it was in an offshoot Generations thread) about how the Egg Dragoon fight would work (especially since it's fought in Unleashed with the Werehog and all), and I couldn't help but think...

What if we get THIS Egg Dragoon fight?

I know, the excursion between the two isn't very long, and half of the actual fight is Super Sonic just blowing everything up, but you have to admit, it'd be awesome to have some kind of re imagining of this opening scene as Modern Sonic, drifting around his ship, boosting through bots, etc. Perhaps we could have a modification of it where you jump ship to ship Egg Fleet style while chasing the Egg Dragoon? Just some thoughts. :)

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I have always wanted to play the intro to Unleashed, as an actual stage. In fact, to me it would totally justify the inclusion of Unleashed in this game in the first place. If Service Games is actually pulling something like this off, I finally just might buy a PS360 for this game.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Watching that intro made me remember how much I'd LOVE an Unleashed prequel. Not necessarily in the same style of gameplay though.

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Heh, after playing through Heroes a bit (please don't ask why I was playing Heroes :S) I can say that the second level shown for Heroes in the Sonic Generations video was Grand Metropolis, one of my other guesses. Not really relevant I guess, just saying.

Also, indeed Egg Dragoon being fought in a style like the intro would feel VERY Unleashed-like and I would enjoy that very much.

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    It would also fit into the mold of the other boss battles a bit better. I assume Death Egg is going to at least feature a bit of the zone. Metal Sonic's fight is obviously a zone in and of itself. Perfect Chaos takes place in the ruins of station square, which is sort of like a zone. If shadow takes place at the end of Final Rush, that's like a zone too. So far, all the boss battles we know about seem to take place in mini zones, except egg dragoon. If it was indeed the egg dragoon from the intro, it'd fit with the others.

18. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Heck, if it was like the Unleashed opening, it'd also explain why they went with Seaside Hill/Ocean Palace rather than Egg Fleet for the Heroes zone. Really hoping this is true.

19. LightXIII

LightXIII

SPARKING!!!
    Speaking of bosses Perfect Chaos is one of them and we all know Super Sonic battled him, so how will Generations portray this fight? Normal Sonic couldn't hurt Perfect Chaos, and all Super Sonic did was "Neutralize" it. So will we have Sonic or Super Sonic fight Perfect Chaos? I would hate to see Sega change the battle style so much that it's only Sonic fighting Perfect Chaos. Now a Unleashed/Colors style Super Sonic vs. Perfect Chaos fight would be not only correct but also SWEET! Sonic Generations is already throwing 20 years of Sonic into limbo, but no need to change a good battle. Super Sonic vs. Perfect Chaos is one of the many highlights of Sonic Adventure. And I agree a Egg Dragoon battle in a similar fashion as the Unleashed Opening would be awesome.

20. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Well, Super Sonic attacked Chaos by floating on the water, picking up speed, and flying into him. Both Modern and Classic Sonic could do the same though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.